Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

1 hour ago, Hurding Katz said:

Change doesn't mean improve

Not at all.

That's why the "and" is often added between the two by those promoting the change. They think they can fool us with this - and a lot of us are. Some of us are extremely subject to catch-phrases like "new and improved". 

Change is a fact.  Whether it's an improvement or not is subjective and no one can make their own individual assessment on that until September 1 rolls around.   People will either like it and embrace it, dislike it and tolerate/get used to it, or dislike it and drop TCM.   And opinions both pro and con will be expressed here and on other more visible social media outlets, but it probably won't change a thing we see on the network, but it might make people feel better to get their opinions stated.

My bet is that it's mostly a cosmetic change with perhaps some new programming concepts thrown in down the line, or old ones resurrected.  These have come and gone over the years, so that's nothing new.  

• Like 4

According to a couple of in-the-know sources, a likely aspect of this "refresh" is shifting TCM's studio production from Atlanta to the Warner Bros. studios in Los Angeles. This would cut down on production costs considerably, with no need for flights and easier access to Hollywood-based talent and film history resources. Considering that all five permanent TCM hosts now live on the west coast (Ben, Jacqueline, Dave and Alicia in Los Angeles, Eddie in San Francisco) this would make a lot of sense logistically. The network has previously used a studio in NYC for Robert Osborne beginning in 2011 so he no longer had to commute to Atlanta in his last 4-5 years with the channel, so such a move is not without precedent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
1 minute ago, Barton_Keyes said:

According to a couple of in-the-know sources, a likely aspect of this "refresh" is shifting TCM's studio production from Atlanta to the Warner Bros. studios in Los Angeles. This would cut down on production costs considerably, with no need for flights and easier access to Hollywood-based talent and film history resources. Considering that all five permanent TCM hosts now live on the west coast (Ben, Jacqueline, Dave and Alicia in Los Angeles, Eddie in San Francisco) this would make a lot of sense logistically. The network has previously used a studio in NYC for Robert Osborne beginning in 2011 so he no longer had to commute to Atlanta in his last 4-5 years with the channel, so such a move is not without precedent.

That makes the most sense.  New studios need new sets, etc.  I wonder how much of the non-studio personnel would be affected?  I was somewhat surprised how much of the old Turner enterprise stayed in Atlanta for this long, to be honest, after Turner sold his holdings.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That makes the most sense.  New studios need new sets, etc.  I wonder how much of the non-studio personnel would be affected?  I was somewhat surprised how much of the old Turner enterprise stayed in Atlanta for this long, to be honest, after Turner sold his holdings.

In the ad Ben says, "In a fresh new way" not "with a fresh new look"   Semantics?

1 hour ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I was wondering if they might do this.  Sending talent to Atlanta to shoot ins and outs on a consistent basis had to be costly.  But, I thought Jacqueline lived/taught in Chicago.  Not so?

3 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I was wondering if they might do this.  Sending talent to Atlanta to shoot ins and outs on a consistent basis had to be costly.  But, I thought Jacqueline lived/taught in Chicago.  Not so?

I thought she also worked for the Academy in Los Angeles.

Just now, yanceycravat said:

I thought she also worked for the Academy in Los Angeles.

She' does.  She's the first director of the new Academy museum in LA.  She's still on the faculty of the University of Chicago, but is on sabbatical.  I guess she relocated to LA, if only temporarily.

She and Eddie have had somewhat lighter hosting duties than the other 3, but I've noticed she's got more airtime lately, outside of the Sunday silents.

When TCM started, there was one host and one set, which was designed to look like Robert Osborne’s apartment.  (Not literally so, just a comfortable place for Robert to host from.)  The music in the intros and promos was primarily from the jazz/big band era, and the graphics seemed to reach back to that era, too.

The presentation style has gradually changed over the years, moving away from the “Golden-Age-of-Hollywood” style and moving toward modern music and a more modern style for the hosts’ sets.  Now, you rarely hear jazz in TCM segments between movies.

I miss the original TCM style, but the current style doesn’t bother me.  I’m more concerned about the content, and there, TCM has remained fairly true to its “classic movie” theme/brand.  That’s why I like TCM, and that’s the most important thing as the channel continues in the future, in my opinion.

If TCM wants to adopt new sets and graphics, it’s fine with me, as long as the main content remains the same.  If they want to change the official name from “Turner Classic Movies” to “TCM” (much as corporate owner AT&T discarded “American Telephone and Telegraph” years ago), it’s fine with me — as long as the main content remains the same.  That is, informative intros from live hosts; themes, trailers, and other associated material; and, most importantly, a complete focus on classic movies, with a strong emphasis on the Golden Age of Hollywood.

The presence of Ben in the promo for the “refresh” suggests that they’re not getting rid of the hosts, and another poster has helpfully provided some reassuring information from TCM about the changes (i.e., no commercials, etc.).  I don’t know what the big “C” at the end of that promo means, but, as others have speculated, it suggests some kind of name change.

If the TCM folks are just making some stylistic changes, I can live with that.  But if this “refresh” is really a cost-cutting measure aimed at paring down TCM to a generic movie channel that has little human presence and becomes just a bunch of miscellaneous movies without hosts, themes, short subjects, interviews, trailers, and other associated material— like Fox Movie Channel, for example, which is just nothing but a bunch of movies — then they’ll be killing what makes devoted fans out of mere viewers.  That would be stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

In the ad Ben says, "In a fresh new way" not "with a fresh new look"   Semantics?

Poor script writing, I guess.  Or rather, inexact.  There was another post this thread that said TCM's official Twitter (or Facebook - don't remember) responses to comments on their post about this stated they were staying ad-free and will still be available via cable/satellite and will still show "classic" movies - whatever that means to folks (opinions vary).

23 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Poor script writing, I guess.  Or rather, inexact.  There was another post this thread that said TCM's official Twitter (or Facebook - don't remember) responses to comments on their post about this stated they were staying ad-free and will still be available via cable/satellite and will still show "classic" movies - whatever that means to folks (opinions vary).

Everything. 😁

50 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

There are only a handful of people whose words I would parse to that level of clarity and precision, and I wouldn't try to find it there.

• Haha 1

Sounds like much ado about nothing, rearranging the deck chairs on the Queen Mary.

But please keep the Let's Movie slogan, one of the most inspiring, clever, and witty

catchphrases around. 

• Haha 4

Are you jesting, Meester Vautrin?  You must be. 

Ya know:  Turning a noun into a verb is way cool!  FRESH!  😵   That LET'S MOVIE slogan reminds of those Dunkin' Donuts adverts I used to see on TV; these ads asked the question "How do you breakfast?".   I felt more stupider (sic) having watched such rubbish without hitting the 'Mute' button. 

Like, wow, ya know I iz a truely (sic) modern man so like when I gets up in da morning the first thing I do is 'breakfast' and then I 'movie' and then I 'car' to my work at The Big Dum Dummyhead Factory stuffing Taliban-owned fortune cookies  -- yes, friends, each cookie contains the same fortune:  'OFF WITH THEIR HEADS'.    🤪

SAGE WISDOM:  If you have a boat and you have a brother you put them together and you have a 'brudder'!  ☺️

Interesting discussion.  And no, not everyone spends all their time on Twitter.  And it's not an "age thing," it's just an effort by many people to avoid a deluge of spurious content being pushed to them every day.

So, moving the sets to Warner's make sense, of course.  I can live with that.  I have long disliked the "main set" that Ben is shot on.  It's such a mish-mash of styles.  So a new set, or a set that can accommodate multiple hosts, would be fine.  What I wouldn't like is any effort to eliminate the hosts.  I realize that "hosted movies" is a real anachronism in TV/cable these days.  It was once very common on local TV and on cable, but long ago that was ended, for various reasons;  one of which was cost.  The hosts on TCM are now unique and they help bond TCMs viewers to the network.  Would we watch anyone?  Sure.  But they are, to my mind, a critical part of TCM's brand.  Also, TCM relies on the film festival as a money maker and you can't do something like that without hosts who draw people.

And indeed a move to LA/Burbank would allow the network to bring in more current day stars/directors/producers for interviews.  I've long thought this is a huge missing element in their on-air product.  In the same way that Robert used to interview golden age stars, TCM needs to get many of the 50-70s era people to sit down for interviews.  Many of them were influenced by golden age styles and mentors and there is a deep well of talent there that needs to be plumbed before it's too late!

Another missing element is historical stuff, both around LA/Hollywood as well as around the country.  I know this is a cost issue, but vignettes that celebrate where people were born and raised, or where famous films were shot, are fascinating to me.  They ran those 4-5 pieces (like the Forest Lawn and Formosa ones) to death.  Time to get back up on that horse!

Graphically I'd be fine with changes.  However, I will miss many of the old elements that made TCM unique, including the fun iconography of guys with fedoras and such.  The over reliance on motion graphics and the lack of live action is something I personally don't like.  It has sanitized the look too much, IMHO.  

So, we wait and see, I guess.  Here's hoping that TCM is still TCM...

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Sounds like much ado about nothing, rearranging the deck chairs on the Queen Mary. 

As long as they’re not rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I want to see them convert their set into the interior of the house from Ray Milland's The Uninvited.  No pun intended, it's just a cool house.

I agree, lol, that movie has one of my favorite endings when he tells her to get out.

• Like 4