Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

31 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

I'm guessing this does NOT mean they'll be blasting into Paramount, Fox and Universal's long-buried B-libraries.

It would definitely be a refresh-ing change if they did!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I'm guessing this does NOT mean they'll be blasting into Paramount, Fox and Universal's long-buried B-libraries.

Wondering if anyone has Paramount Plus and, if so, do they have any 1930's-1940's classics beyond the "usual suspects?" I'd consider streaming it if I could pick up some of those Paramount pre-codes, etc. we never get to see on TCM.

13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Sounds like much ado about nothing, rearranging the deck chairs on the Queen Mary.

Queen Mary fine... As long as they aren't rearranging the deck chairs on the TITANIC!

7 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Queen Mary fine... As long as they aren't rearranging the deck chairs on the TITANIC!

Too late, somebody else made the same joke a few posts back. And then somebody else chimed in to say that that someone beat them to it.

(It’s perfectly understandable though, this thread has been moving lightning fast.)

Also also, it’s not entirely inappropriate to use the Queen Mary for the analogy, because I was reading yesterday how it’s in serious serious trouble in Long Beach Harbor. Apparently the hull is rusting, the structure is collapsing, and nobody knows how to pay for the hundreds of millions of dollars of renovation it needs.

14 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Wondering if anyone has Paramount Plus and, if so, do they have any 1930's-1940's classics beyond the "usual suspects?" I'd consider streaming it if I could pick up some of those Paramount pre-codes, etc. we never get to see on TCM.

I'm not a subscriber, but you can scroll through their film offerings even if you're not.  I see some pretty obscure stuff in there (obscure to me, anyway), like Danger Lights (1930),  The Devil's Party (1938), Dirty Gertie from Harlem U.S.A. (1946).  

I'd say they have more than just their "Greatest Hits"

https://www.paramountplus.com/movies/

There's also a search box, so you can look for specific titles.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Too late, somebody else made the same joke a few posts back. And then somebody else chimed in to say that that someone beat them to it.

(It’s perfectly understandable though, this thread has been moving lightning fast.)

Also also, it’s not entirely inappropriate to use the Queen Mary for the analogy, because I was reading yesterday how it’s in serious serious trouble in Long Beach Harbor. Apparently the hull is rusting, the structure is collapsing, and nobody knows how to pay for the hundreds of millions of dollars of renovation it needs.

Where will the ghosts go?

• Haha 1
On 8/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I want to see them convert their set into the interior of the house from Ray Milland's The Uninvited.  No pun intended, it's just a cool house.

I want  to see them convert the set to the interior of Barbara Stanwyck's house in "Double Indemnity" and all the hosts have to come down that staircase wearing nothing but a towel and an ankle bracelet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It would be nice if it means they'll be showing less of the usual offerings and more titles that haven't been seen much.

Depends on whether they've gotten an infusion of cash somewhere along the line, I suppose.

But that's what I'm hoping for - more movies I haven't seen much of.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

I don't have Paramount Plus, but Paramount's film library 1929-1949 belongs to Universal. I think just about the only film whose rights Paramount retains from that era is "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" because nobody thought it would ever be allowed to be televised and so nobody else wanted to purchase the rights to it.  So the earliest Paramount films you would see on Paramount Plus - if they bother to show them at all - would be "Sunset Boulevard". 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I'm not a subscriber, but you can scroll through their film offerings even if you're not.  I see some pretty obscure stuff in there (obscure to me, anyway), like Danger Lights (1930),  The Devil's Party (1938), Dirty Gertie from Harlem U.S.A. (1946).  

I'd say they have more than just their "Greatest Hits"

https://www.paramountplus.com/movies/

There's also a search box, so you can look for specific titles.

I spent nearly an hour looking through what they have. Surprisingly there are a lot of titles from UA (I guess those have moved over from Amazon Prime). And there is a bunch of public domain junk that you can find anywhere online. And there are some just some Paramount classics and Republic classics (that are also on Hulu). It's only $4.99 which I guess is not too steep.

But I was not seeing anything that I had not already streamed elsewhere. No rarities.

I would give it a pass.

• Thanks 3
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

now with more WINE CLUB, more interraction, more data based resources.

and more Mankiewicz...

See the source image

Lorna, if I have a stroke from laughing so hard I'm holding you completely responsible. 

• Like 1

In My Humble Opinion...

Never ceases to amaze me that whenever TCM comes out with any type of news regarding potential changes to either it's message boards, website or actual potential programming decisions, posters come out of the woodwork to discuss ad infinitum the impending demise of the channel or gloom and doom. Meaning... surprise, dismay, or exasperation. Get a grip folks...

• Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

In My Humble Opinion...

Never ceases to amaze me that whenever TCM comes out with any type of news regarding potential changes to either it's message boards, website or actual potential programming decisions, posters come out of the woodwork to discuss ad infinitum the impending demise of the channel or gloom and doom. Meaning... surprise, dismay, or exasperation. Get a grip folks...

This could easily be avoided by them just saying what changes are planned.  Seems to me they enjoy creating buzz, even if it's over nothing.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

This could easily be avoided by them just saying what changes are planned.  Seems to me they enjoy creating buzz, even if it's over nothing.

But it is their channel, their website and their programming. They make subtle changes all the time and yet no one ever discusses those subtle changes. It's only when they send out announcements supposedly clouded with potential changes that gets people over exasperated to the point that we have members who never ever comment on any other topic all of a sudden come out of the woodwork to discuss what they perceive to be a major change when in fact it might NOT be much of a change after all.

16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Are you jesting, Meester Vautrin?  You must be. 

Ya know:  Turning a noun into a verb is way cool!  FRESH!  😵   That LET'S MOVIE slogan reminds of those Dunkin' Donuts adverts I used to see on TV; these ads asked the question "How do you breakfast?".   I felt more stupider (sic) having watched such rubbish without hitting the 'Mute' button. 

Like, wow, ya know I iz a truely (sic) modern man so like when I gets up in da morning the first thing I do is 'breakfast' and then I 'movie' and then I 'car' to my work at The Big Dum Dummyhead Factory stuffing Taliban-owned fortune cookies  -- yes, friends, each cookie contains the same fortune:  'OFF WITH THEIR HEADS'.    🤪

SAGE WISDOM:  If you have a boat and you have a brother you put them together and you have a 'brudder'!  ☺️

There is certain stark simplicity to Let's Movie, but after hearing it a few times it begins to sound kind of

silly. The first thing I think of in the morning is let's bathroom. Now I'll be thinking about Dunkin' Donuts 

all day. Love the chocolate and powdered donuts. A DD is supposed to open in my neck of the woods soon

and I can't wait.

If you have a boat and a friend from Jamaica you have a Rudder. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BingFan said:

As long as they’re not rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I thought that might sound too negative and imply that the good ship TCM is headed for disaster,

which I don't think is the case. These changes sound mostly cosmetic and not that significant.

Now if the band strikes up Nearer My Ben to Thee that might change things. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Maybe Susan Miller was a hit with younger viewers and they want her as a regular host.   The nutjobs here in CA open up a number of possibilities. 

https://www.astrologyzone.com/all-about-eclipses-a-guide-for-coping-with-them/

🌟

When you realize the front door is not only locked, but is in fact welded shut from the inside by TPTB, you tend to look at back door options, or even getting in through a window.

Not that this has anything to do with Astrology in CA or even TCM...  😁

2 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I want  to see them convert the set to the interior of Barbara Stanwyck's house in "Double Indemnity" and all the hosts have to come down that staircase wearing nothing but a towel and an ankle bracelet.

Yeah I've been noticing all kinds of ski accidents too, but the hosts??

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but just in case anyone has trepidations/worries.

What we DO know:

1) They are not going to air commercials (this has been a constant source of worry on social media and TCM has consistently responded saying no commercials will air)

2) They will still air classic films (no signs of that being abandoned)

What we don't know:

1) Well, pretty much everything. I've seen speculation that at the end of Ben Mankiewicz's TV spot that the TCM logo fades into a single C that the channel could be rebranding and/or merging with something else (like Criterion Collection perhaps??). I don't know if the channel will change its name, but if there is some kind of Criterion Collection connection, I'd be interested to see what plays out.

Either way, the TV spot says nothing drastic is happening, just a refresh so I suspect we don't have much to worry about, despite the fact that lots of people have the jitters. I just wish they were more concrete with what to expect!