Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

overeasy

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I'm not a subscriber, but you can scroll through their film offerings even if you're not.  I see some pretty obscure stuff in there (obscure to me, anyway), like Danger Lights (1930),  The Devil's Party (1938), Dirty Gertie from Harlem U.S.A. (1946). 

Those are all P. D. titles.

8 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I'm guessing this does NOT mean they'll be blasting into Paramount, Fox and Universal's long-buried B-libraries.

From your keyboard to the TCM programmers' ears. But that would require 1) TCM to have the budget to license these films, and 2) the rightsholders' willingness to cooperate. Right now corporations with deep film catalogs seem to be holding back their titles for their own streaming services. (Never mind that older films on the existing services are few and far between.)

As for the tendency for some of us to panic at the idea of TCM changing anything, enough people remember what happened to AMC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lambear1982 said:

I don't know if the channel will change its name, but if there is some kind of Criterion Collection connection, I'd be interested to see what plays out.

An even more narrow selection of foreign films.

There seems to be a bizarre blend of shallow, gossipy, People Magazine-y "information" regarding a star's personal life during the intros and outros, existing incongruously alongside TCM's increasingly requisite stern and earnest Me-Too wokeness.   Johnny Belinda started out with Ben telling us that Jane Wyman and Lew Ayres were in the midst of an affair during production.  Why do we need to know this?  And for Merle Oberon today, viewers were subjected to Mankiewicz revealing that the actress' mother was 12 years old at the time of her birth, adding "and her father was of course a criminal".    

• Like 3

12 hours ago, fxreyman said:

But it is their channel, their website and their programming. They make subtle changes all the time and yet no one ever discusses those subtle changes. It's only when they send out announcements supposedly clouded with potential changes that gets people over exasperated to the point that we have members who never ever comment on any other topic all of a sudden come out of the woodwork to discuss what they perceive to be a major change when in fact it might NOT be much of a change after all.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do notice the subtle changes even if I don't discuss it. The TCM database recently had an overhaul that made it more generic and just erased all of the user reviews that had been there for years  and they  said nothing until it was done. TCM has gradually eliminated all of their classic graphics and wrap-arounds over the past 15 years. Until just a few years ago a human voice would discuss what was playing next and then that was gone. Now they can't even be bothered to show the times it is just "NEXT, THEN, LATER".  TCM Underground has shifted from showing cult films from all eras - I actually have an old recording of the silent "Unholy Three" that aired on TCM Underground about ten years ago - until it is almost all 80s horror films now.  TCM used to play silents during the day on a regular basis. Now silents are relegated to Silent Sunday Nights except for special occasions. About the best change they have made since 2010- 2015 is to bring Eddie Muller on board. 

Nothing as awful as what happened to AMC so far, but I do remember in the fall of 2002 watching "It Happened One Night" one day on AMC and the next day it was "Officer and a Gentleman" - heavily censored -  loaded down with commercials.  And that is the horror I think that is on everybody's mind. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Nothing as awful as what happened to AMC so far, but I do remember in the fall of 2002 watching "It Happened One Night" one day on AMC and the next day it was "Officer and a Gentleman" - heavily censored -  loaded down with commercials.  And that is the horror I think that is on everybody's mind. 

If TCM ever becomes what AMC became, I'll cancel my cable.

That's not an empty vow.

• Like 2

Until just a few years ago a human voice would discuss what was playing next and then that was gone. Now they can't even be bothered to show the times it is just "NEXT, THEN, LATER".

That is actually more helpful than stating start times because not everyone is in the same time zone. I certainly would hate to see a movie announced starting at a certain time & then miss it because it was actually broadcast earlier.

TCM used to play silents during the day on a regular basis. Now silents are relegated to Silent Sunday Nights except for special occasions. About the best change they have made since 2010- 2015 is to bring Eddie Muller on board. 

I've noticed that too. BOO!

The TCM sets are inconsequential, they have never made an announcement over changing the sets or in-between graphics before. I loved the first graphics that would animate in between movies-and have a few captured in very old recordings.

I'd guess more towards the name change, dropping the "T" which I think is disrespectful to the person who's vision was to bring classic movies 24/7 to TV. I will always be grateful to TT for creating this channel with all the restrictions of "no commercials, no editing". That's what sets TCM apart from the others.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

That is actually more help

I'd guess more towards the name change, dropping the "T" which I think is disrespectful to the person who's vision was to bring classic movies 24/7 to TV. I will always be grateful to TT for creating this channel with all the restrictions of "no commercials, no editing". That's what sets TCM apart from the others.

I'll always be grateful to Ted Turner too, for his love of classic film, for starting TCM, and either having the wisdom to hire Robert Osborne or the wisdom to hire the person who hired Robert. Ted didn't own TCM after the first two years, but Robert set it up for success for the next 20 years afterwards. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I'll always be grateful to Ted Turner too, for his love of classic film, for starting TCM, and either having the wisdom to hire Robert Osborne or the wisdom to hire the person who hired Robert. Ted didn't own TCM after the first two years, but Robert set it up for success for the next 20 years afterwards. 

Other than us, who knows that the T in TCM stands for Turner?  When was the last time TCM referred to itself as Turner Classic Movies?  Or maybe I just haven't noticed it.  Could always just call it Timeless Classic Movies.

6 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

... Until just a few years ago a human voice would discuss what was playing next and then that was gone. Now they can't even be bothered to show the times it is just "NEXT, THEN, LATER".  ... About the best change they have made since 2010- 2015 is to bring Eddie Muller on board. 

Nothing as awful as what happened to AMC ... heavily censored -  loaded down with commercials.  And that is the horror I think that is on everybody's mind. 

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

That is actually more helpful than stating start times because not everyone is in the same time zone. I certainly would hate to see a movie announced starting at a certain time & then miss it because it was actually broadcast earlier.

Although I can see your point, TikiSoo, I’d prefer TCM providing actual starting times, rather than “NEXT / THEN / LATER,” for the same reason you mention.  When they just say “NEXT,” I don’t know whether the movie is starting in one minute, in fifteen minutes, or in thirty minutes — all of these are possibilities.   If I guess wrong and head for the kitchen or bathroom, for example, I might return to find the movie already started (and I hate missing the credits!).  You’re right about other time zones, however.  Perhaps they could list all of the alternative times, or have an announcer say, for example, “1pm Eastern, noon Central, and 11am Mountain Time on TCM.”  (I recall the major networks doing this when I was growing up, but I guess TCM has already discarded their announcers, unfortunately.)

I agree that removing the Turner name would disrespectful toward Ted, to whom we should all be grateful for creating the channel.  But as unfortunate changes go, this would be less harmful than, say, getting rid of the hosts.  So far, the channel has maintained Ted’s original vision, even if the Turner name has been unfortunately  de-emphasized.

LDM is right that hiring Eddie Muller is the best recent change.  I never miss his intros and outros, even when I don’t watch the movie itself (perhaps because I’ve seen it recently).  I always learn something from Eddie.  I’d say the same about Jacqueline, too, although I see her less often.  Overall, I like all of the hosts, but Eddie and Jacqueline stand out as really telling us something beyond the basics about each movie they introduce.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Other than us, who knows that the T in TCM stands for Turner?  When was the last time TCM referred to itself as Turner Classic Movies?  Or maybe I just haven't noticed it.  Could always just call it Timeless Classic Movies.

I met one kid who thought it stood for totally crappy movies.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Although I can see your point, TikiSoo, I’d prefer TCM providing actual starting times, rather than “NEXT / THEN / LATER,” for the same reason you mention.  When they just say “NEXT,” I don’t know whether the movie is starting in one minute, in fifteen minutes, or in thirty minutes — all of these are possibilities.   If I guess wrong and head for the kitchen or bathroom, for example, I might return to find the movie already started (and I hate missing the credits!).  You’re right about other time zones, however.  Perhaps they could list all of the alternative times, or have an announcer say, for example, “1pm Eastern, noon Central, and 11am Mountain Time on TCM.”  (I recall the major networks doing this when I was growing up, but I guess TCM has already discarded their announcers, unfortunately.)

I agree that removing the Turner name would disrespectful toward Ted, to whom we should all be grateful for creating the channel.  But as unfortunate changes go, this would be less harmful than, say, getting rid of the hosts.  So far, the channel has maintained Ted’s original vision, even if the Turner name has been unfortunately  de-emphasized.

LDM is right that hiring Eddie Muller is the best recent change.  I never miss his intros and outros, even when I don’t watch the movie itself (perhaps because I’ve seen it recently).  I always learn something from Eddie.  I’d say the same about Jacqueline, too, although I see her less often.  Overall, I like all of the hosts, but Eddie and Jacqueline stand out as really telling us something beyond the basics about each movie they introduce.

Hearing the times was important to me, too.  Now, I do live in EST so, perhaps that was an advantage,  but hearing (and seeing times) would serve as a reminder (often I would leave TCM on in another room while I was working in my home office next door) to tape something that I had forgotten about.  If it didn't bother the viewership for 20+ years to see EST times listed (and spoken) it made no sense to eliminate those things when they did.  Clearly, eliminating the announcer was done for cost reasons only.  Eliminating the actual TIME from the screen  --  I have no idea which idiot came up with that idea.  (Probably the same person who hired Tiffany Vasquez.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Aaaand my "Turner Crass-n-sick Movies" joke loses some of its power. 😒

Edited by Polly of the Precodes

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Hearing the times was important to me, too.  Now, I do live in EST so, perhaps that was an advantage,  but hearing (and seeing times) would serve as a reminder (often I would leave TCM on in another room while I was working in my home office next door) to tape something that I had forgotten about.  If it didn't bother the viewership for 20+ years to see EST times listed (and spoken) it made no sense to eliminate those things when they did.  Clearly, eliminating the announcer was done for cost reasons only.  Eliminating the actual TIME from the screen  --  I have no idea which idiot came up with that idea.  (Probably the same person who hired Tiffany Vasquez.)

I suppose the graphics dept's decision to "simplify" and drop air time altogether might have been subconsciously inspired by recent trends to replace language with pictures (ISO symbols).  Or in this case replace it with generic cues, which indeed is less informative than the latter. Considering that the time slots themselves are not standardized or equal in length, this makes no sense.  Thereby creating cognitive dissonance for viewers.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I want to see them convert their set into the interior of the house from Ray Milland's The Uninvited.  No pun intended, it's just a cool house.

And include Ruth Hussey and the dog, too 🙂

1 hour ago, 37kitties said:

I met one kid who thought it stood for totally crappy movies.

I've always laughed at the rebranding people do, in hopes of burying their roots.  AARP is just AARP (god forbid that is be about RETIRED people!)  I think HBO is just HBO.  There are many others.  At the end of the day,  WE know what TCM stands for and we always will. And Ted gets huge props for starting this network and saving these libraries.  

We also live in a time when, due to the need to have a short, snappy domain name, many companies have meaningless, but memorial names;  Google and Yahoo come to mind.  Names of companies like Vitalant (used to be a blood bank company) are invented out of whole cloth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Not sure what that means.  Criterion's streaming service has a much broader selection of foreign titles than anything I've seen on TCM.

Something that's been on my mind for a while -- ever since watching Ingrid Bergman in The Count of the Old Town on a Criterion Eclipse Series box set -- is how the only reason a movie like that, which is basically a programmer, is on DVD in the US is because of the presence of Bergman.  There's a whole bunch of movies made for domestic consumption all over the world that will never see the light of day in the English-speaking world because the Critics Who Decide What is Important would never think to show such stuff designed for the masses.

Just because the New Wave was different doesn't mean it was better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overeasy said:

Names of companies like Vitalant 

I thought that was a medication in competition with: Pfizer's little blue pill.

I believe that all should consider these:

1) The September and October schedules are available. They show no difference from past schedules. There is a mixture of old and new, some great and some stinkers, a total lack of inspiration for: Sunday Silent Night and an obvious misunderstanding about what constitutes a: 'cult' movie.

2) They have stated publicly that they will not be introducing commercial breaks in the movies.

3) At least one of the on-air personalities is returning.

4) What happens between the movies is a matter of total indifference to many of us.

What is the worst that they could do? Well, yes, of course, they could add a scroll bar to the bottom of the screen so that hosts and vetted viewers could add comments while the movies are playing. They could mute the soundtrack and overlay directors' and hosts' comments about particular scenes.  They could insert picture-in-picture boxes to showcase other movies or DVD collections pertinent to the movie as it is playing. They could . . .

Oops. 

... return to hysteria in 3 ... 2 ...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Something that's been on my mind for a while -- ever since watching Ingrid Bergman in The Count of the Old Town on a Criterion Eclipse Series box set -- is how the only reason a movie like that, which is basically a programmer, is on DVD in the US is because of the presence of Bergman.  There's a whole bunch of movies made for domestic consumption all over the world that will never see the light of day in the English-speaking world because the Critics Who Decide What is Important would never think to show such stuff designed for the masses.

Just because the New Wave was different doesn't mean it was better.

That is so very true. 

I am convinced that the reason foreign movies are held in such high regard in America is that the only ones which are shown here are the best-of-the-best and have good reviews internationally before being considered for release here.

I can assure you that there are a few notable exceptions but most comedies made in Belgium in the 1940s and early 1950s were uniformly bad. No one speaks of them because they quite properly died in obscurity.

• Like 2