Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

6 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Because "British" wouldn't be triggering.

It wouldn't be relevant. The trigger is a white actor (saying "actress" might be another trigger - is TCM still using that word?) a white actor I say playing a dark-skinned character. Nobody who objects to that is going to back off because she was a Brit. 

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Copied and pasted from my own post in the September schedule thread, information swiped from MCOH and others, here's what TCM is showing in primetime on September 1:

They Died with Their Boots On (Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHavilland) (Warner Bros., 1941)
Key Largo (Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall) (Warner Bros., 1948)
The Barkleys of Broadway (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (MGM, 1949)
Mogambo (Clark Gable, Ava Gardner) (MGM, 1953)
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn) (Columbia, 1967)

Nothing earth-shatteringly different, pretty standard in-library TCM fare. The content between the airing of the features might be different, however.

Through my connections with TCM (or whatever the name of the channel is going to be starting in a couple of days), I've got a copy of what the hosts are gonna say in their intros for each one of these flicks. And so without further ado...

They Died with Their Boots On (Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHavilland) (Warner Bros., 1941) ..."The portrayal of George Armstrong Custer in this movie doesn't really show how the guy was an out and out egomaniac. Courageous to be sure, but not the best battle tactician the West Point Academy would ever produce."

Key Largo (Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall) (Warner Bros., 1948) ... "The small role that Jay Silverheels plays in this one was originally offered to Mickey Rooney, but Rooney felt his talents might better be utilized to play a Japanese-American man later in his career and in the event one might be offered to him. And so having refused the role, Silverheels would get the part of a Native-American man by default.

The Barkleys of Broadway (Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers) (MGM, 1949) ..."This film presents the last paring of Astaire and the woman who so effortlessly and gracefully was able to dance backwards and in high heels to every move Astaire ever initiated, and something HE could have never done even if his life depended upon it."

Mogambo (Clark Gable, Ava Gardner) (MGM, 1953)..."Ava Gardner is sure hot as hell in this movie you're about to watch, and a hell of a lot sexier than white bread Grace Kelly is." (okay, so this one is really what I'd like Ben Mankiewicz to say...in that nasally voice of his)

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn) (Columbia, 1967)..."We're not about to mention the out and out racist mindset that the actor who plays Sidney Poitier's father in the film you're about to watch to shown expressing. And because, well because, THAT wouldn't be very 'woke' of us, now would it?!"

46 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

It wouldn't be relevant. The trigger is a white actor (saying "actress" might be another trigger - is TCM still using that word?) a white actor I say playing a dark-skinned character. Nobody who objects to that is going to back off because she was a Brit. 

TCM I think is using "actor" more frequently to encompass "actress", since every actress is an actor but not every actor is an actress.

Oy, I'm getting a migraine with all this stuff, lol.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Yes, yes, they're still saying the word "actress" here.

In fact, just the other day I distinctly heard Ben say the word.

(...although of course the way HE said it and as he ALWAYS says it, it sounded more like "AAACK-tress")

I was watching THE ADDAMS FAMILY (the '60s Tv show, not the movie from the early 1990s) and Morticia called the girl who had come to teach Lurch to dance an "instructress".  I dug that.  😁

I honestly don't know how much of this 'pre-movie' commentary by Alicia or anyone else is "woke-speak" or not, but I simply ignore anything I find un-interesting.  Some kind of 'yellowface' spiel from a host?  Yawn.  I just ▬block▬ it out. 

One thing I don't mind admitting:  Because TCM has played the 'blackface' segment so often it encouraged me to buy myself a copy of WONDER BAR.  → I hope Ragamuffin White Guy has since got a haircut.  He looked like an unkempt refugee from the YMCA, circa 1979.   Remember there's Donald Bogle, Jacqueline Stewart and Ragamuffin White Guy who make appearances in the segment. 

Something I noticed the first time I saw that segment:  Jacqueline talks about some black comedians like Richard Pryor . . . yet leaves out mentioning The King Of The Party Records:  REDD FOXX.  I wouldn't know Tiffany Haddish from a hole in the wall, but I *do* know The Foxx.   🦊 (In a November 1983 segment on 'Late Night with David Letterman' Redd mentions having recorded 55 albums). 

On 8/26/2021 at 1:20 PM, overeasy said:

...Don’t get us wrong, we’ll still present the greatest films ever made, along with all the backstories, profiles and context you’ve come to expect. That’s our DNA and a promise.

Only now, we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way. ...

When I once again saw Ben’s promo for the facelift/refresh yesterday, I noticed that he also used a phrase like “we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.”

I know we’ve already speculated this topic to death, maybe including discussion of this phrase, but I’ll ask the question anyway: how do you present movies “in a fresh, new way”?  Have the hosts act out the stories with sock puppets?

It seems  like there’s only one way to present a movie: by showing the movie.

I’m probably parsing this language too closely (a difficult habit to break after spending decades being paid to do so).  I suppose they must mean that the presentation surrounding the movie will be “fresh” and “new,” not that they’ll show the movie itself in some “fresh, new way.”  

So maybe I’ve answered my own question.  We’ll only really know when September 1 rolls around, and we actually see what they mean.

• Like 1

After reading the posts on this thread, I reached a conclusion. No one really knows what will happen on September 1st, 2021.

If they continue showing classic movies and mostly from the Golden Age of Hollywood, no problem. If they're going to start engaging in "woke talk" between films, I always have my mute and channel change buttons.

If they limit TCM to HBOMax only, that could be a problem for many folks.

We shall see.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, BingFan said:

When I once again saw Ben’s promo for the facelift/refresh yesterday, I noticed that he also used a phrase like “we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.”

I know we’ve already speculated this topic to death, maybe including discussion of this phrase, but I’ll ask the question anyway: how do you present movies “in a fresh, new way”?  Have the hosts act out the stories with sock puppets?

It seems  like there’s only one way to present a movie: by showing the movie.

I’m probably parsing this language too closely (a difficult habit to break after spending decades being paid to do so).  I suppose they must mean that the presentation surrounding the movie will be “fresh” and “new,” not that they’ll show the movie itself in some “fresh, new way.”  

So maybe I’ve answered my own question.  We’ll only really know when September 1 rolls around, and we actually see what they mean.

Yes, we now have less than a day to find out what's up.  "Fresh new way" sounds like like standard "ad speak" to me, like "new and improved."  In fact, many marketers will make a "new" claim when the only thing that has changed is the products packaging.  Hoping that's the case here...

• Like 2

I reckon tomorrow is "THE BIG DAY" when the quivering masses (myself included) will find out how a channel can present old movies in a "fresh new way".  Whatever that means . . . we'll find out! 

→ Sounds similar to an Ex-Lax commercial promising to disembowel your tight innards by using a "new" and "improved" PRUNE SPICE BOMB  🧨 amongst its ingredients. 

I can't help being cynical; it's the cynic in me . . .

Anyway, here's an alien:   👽

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

→ Sounds similar to an Ex-Lax commercial promising to disembowel your tight innards by using a "new" and "improved" PRUNE SPICE BOMB  🧨 amongst its ingredients. 

Well I hope the 'refresh' will not have the effect of an Ex-Lax on me...

• Haha 3

I'm wondering when this "Fresh New Way" will start tomw. At midnight? Early morning hours? Or on prime time that night?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Anyway, here's an alien:   👽

Yay!  And my usual awwww!

(I wonder if any little green men will be part of this change.  Can only be an improvement....)

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm wondering when this "Fresh New Way" will start tomw. At midnight? Early morning hours? Or on prime time that night?

I find it hilarious that when they changed the schedule on the website they went to a "The Day Starts at Midnight" (or thereabouts) format yet, they still start the new day's programming at 6'ish (just as the "old" TCM website indicated. )  Get it together folks  --  the new day either starts at dawn or it starts at midnight, programming included.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Any noticeable changes? Any thing refreshed?

Only classic movie fans would be checking at 6am as to what has "happened" to their favorite station.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Only classic movie fans would be checking at 6am as to what has "happened" to their favorite station.

Yea I figured there would be some early birds out there.

22 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Up and watching.  🙂  Haven't seen an open to a movie yet.  No logo change on the website, so I guess that bodes well!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

You bet.  Now thinking the "big reveal" will happen at 8 PM.  Perhaps Ben will deliver his "exclusive insights" standing on his head.  I believe that qualifies as hosting in a  "fresh new way."

• Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, lydecker said:

You bet.  Now thinking the "big reveal" will happen at 8 PM.  Perhaps Ben will deliver his "exclusive remarks" standing on his head.  I believe that qualifies as hosting in a  "fresh new way."

Good point.  'Maybe at Noon'.  However 8 PM seems more likely.  

Seems like the farther we get from Robert Osborn's death the more they alter this channel.

I am grateful I have been viewing Turner Classic Movies since the 1990's.   

I would love to see a video on the changes over the years.  Graphics, Content, and the little things.

Makes me wish I used my VCR more diligently in the past. 

I did have a LOT of content recorded but it was on my old DVR from Comcast (about 10 years worth) that I turned back in when I upgraded my TV set and my Cable Subscription last October.

• Like 1