Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHERE WAS FLUFFY?

Bronxgirl48

As part of SUTS with the wonderful Tony Randall, they substituted THE BRASS BOTTLE for FLUFFY.   I will bet that many were disappointed, since FLUFFY is probably Randall's least-known and seen movie.  I was looking forward to my first viewing.  Nothing with Tony can ever be considered bad but, and my apologies to Jeff Bailey, THE BRASS BOTTLE comes the closest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh sorry to hear that, Dan.

I wonder why the schedule was mixed up.

The only thing I enjoyed in THE BRASS BOTTLE was seeing the always creepy Edward Andrews get turned into a donkey.   That was a definite physical improvement.

• Haha 1

TCM could've showed FATAL INSTINCT (1993) .  That was an MGM movie.  Tony had a part as a judge.  Had to be one of his last theatrical film appearances. 

Here's another Tony Randall movie:  HELLO DOWN THERE (1969)  w/Janet Leigh, Roddy McDowall, Jim Backus, Ken Berry, Richard Dreyfuss.  This is a Paramount movie so it's no surprise it didn't air today.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I'm completely unfamiliar with HELLO DOWN THERE.  

Wish they would have included NO DOWN PAYMENT as part of his line-up today.  Tony is excellent as an alcoholic suburban car salesman.   He was a very fine dramatic actor.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

TCM could've showed FATAL INSTINCT (1993) .  That was an MGM movie.  Tony had a part as a judge.  Had to be one of his last theatrical film appearances. 

Here's another Tony Randall movie:  HELLO DOWN THERE (1969)  w/Janet Leigh, Roddy McDowall, Jim Backus, Ken Berry, Richard Dreyfuss.  This is a Paramount movie so it's no surprise it didn't air today.      

Turner didn't get the rights to any MGM output after he purchased the studio, which was in the mid-80s, so they'd more than likely have to lease that one at market rates.  And some would say it's not "classic."  It doesn't seem to be highly regarded, but that's not necessarily a criterion for TCM to show a film, either.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

As part of SUTS with the wonderful Tony Randall, they substituted THE BRASS BOTTLE for FLUFFY.   I will bet that many were disappointed, since FLUFFY is probably Randall's least-known and seen movie.  I was looking forward to my first viewing.  Nothing with Tony can ever be considered bad but, and my apologies to Jeff Bailey, THE BRASS BOTTLE comes the closest.  

If I Was To Choose my favourite Randall Feature it would be 7 Faces of Dr Lao. Easily. With that said ive always liked all his work.

Happy Birthday Barbara Eden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

7 FACES OF DR. LAO is also my favorite Tony Randall film.   I don't think even Peter Sellers would have been as good.

I'm going to check and see if FLUFFY is on YouTube.  HELLO DOWN THERE too.

Unless This Is Yesterdays News Already, Mr Randall has one or two rather Lovely Mystery Guest Forrays on Whats My Line. Including One Where He Dons a VERY Very Amusing Falsetto Response Voice.

Last i knew Those Guest Performances of which i just spoke Are Very (Very) Much Available (for free) on youtube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Turner didn't get the rights to any MGM output after he purchased the studio, which was in the mid-80s, so they'd more than likely have to lease that one at market rates.

Yes, TCM has to lease all their broadcast content-which is why when someone refers to  "TCM's Library" it always makes me laugh. I am curious about Public Domain movies though. 

16 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

If I Was To Choose my favourite Randall Feature it would be 7 Faces of Dr Lao. Easily. With that said ive always liked all his work.

l worked with Tony Randall a few times. I mentioned to him how much I liked 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, and that it wasn't shown that often.  He was an erudite man and a great actor, with an appreciation for classical theater. He lived in the Beresford, up on 81st Street/Central Park West. 

df1e324d0e596d128aa4c30fe44ae8fa.jpg

The Beresford

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

l worked with Tony Randall a few times. I mentioned to him how much I liked 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, and that it wasn't shown that often.  He was an erudite man and a great actor, with an appreciation for classical theater. He lived in the Beresford, up on 81st Street/Central Park West. 

The Beresford

A very grounded, down-to-earth man as well and not caught up in the Hollywood/celebrity status cult (too much) and kept his private life private.  He married his high school girlfriend from Tulsa and they stayed married until her death, and married a second time at age 75, and had two children by the second marriage.

I always enjoyed his Tonight Show appearances, and apparently he was a guest more often than anyone else (105 appearances).

• Like 2

Ya know Bronxie, I'm not sure that I've ever watched the movie "Fluffy" before. However, I DO remember once watching a movie titled "Fluffer" sometime back in the mid-1970s.

Uh-huh, right there in the old Pussycat Theater along Santa Monica Blvd.

(...don't recall there bein' any sort'a felines in this movie though, nor Tony Randall bein' in it either)

;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Wish they would have included NO DOWN PAYMENT as part of his line-up today.  Tony is excellent as an alcoholic suburban car salesman.

He's the only good thing in the movie.  The rest of the movie feels like the writers had a laundry list of social issues of the day they wanted to discuss and are ticking them off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swithin said:

The Beresford

Im Jealous. But Thats Also Awesome.

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know Bronxie, I'm not sure that I've ever watched the movie "Fluffy" before. However, I DO remember once watching a movie titled "Fluffer" sometime back in the mid-1970s.

Uh-huh, right there in the old Pussycat Theater along Santa Monica Blvd.

(...don't recall there bein' any sort'a felines in this movie though, nor Tony Randall bein' in it either)

;)

Now, now, let's keep it clean!

4 hours ago, Fedya said:

He's the only good thing in the movie.  The rest of the movie feels like the writers had a laundry list of social issues of the day they wanted to discuss and are ticking them off.

I know what you mean, Fedya, but it worked for me, even though I thought a couple like Joanne Woodward and Cameron Mitchell would never move into that community.   

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

A very grounded, down-to-earth man as well and not caught up in the Hollywood/celebrity status cult (too much) and kept his private life private.  He married his high school girlfriend from Tulsa and they stayed married until her death, and married a second time at age 75, and had two children by the second marriage.

I always enjoyed his Tonight Show appearances, and apparently he was a guest more often than anyone else (105 appearances).

I spotted Tony Randall once years ago (1980's) walking in New York City, politely approached and told him how much I enjoyed THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO.   He was very gracious and humble.  Lovely man.

I don't remember which comedian it was on the old Tonight Show -- might have been Robert Klein -- who told Johnny Carson how much he got a kick out of Tony's "professorial" mannerisms and then proceeded to do an impression of him.  It was very funny.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings