Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 3 weeks later...

It may not be of paramount importance to TCM to do so. Lame joke because his films were mostly from Paramount Studio. TCM springs for the occasional Paramount film but they're not likely to secure a whole month's worth of Kaye's films. The last Kaye film I remember on TCM was Merry Andrew during a circus-themed evening. But film catalogs change hands sometimes, who knows what might happen?

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

It may not be of paramount importance to TCM to do so. Lame joke because his films were mostly from Paramount Studio. TCM springs for the occasional Paramount film but they're not likely to secure a whole month's worth of Kaye's films. The last Kaye film I remember on TCM was Merry Andrew during a circus-themed evening. But film catalogs change hands sometimes, who knows what might happen?

MERRY ANDREW is an MGM film. The other one they show is THE INSPECTOR GENERAL since it's a WB film and also it happens to be in the public domain. If they scheduled these two plus one from Samuel Goldwyn Productions or one from Paramount (like the ever-popular THE COURT JESTER) they'd have a primetime spotlight. Probably the best we can hope for!

Incidentally, they broadcast THE FIVE PENNIES, a Paramount film, in August...but it was part of a Summer Under the Stars tribute for Louis Armstrong and it was the only Paramount title they showed on that day.

• Thanks 1

Court Jester is funny but Kaye shines in Me and the Colonel (much more serious).  Plus, he was in a TV movie about Skokie.  Several years ago, he had a day or something devoted to him, and Robert Osborne or Ben interviewed his daughter (Kaye's wife, Sylvia Fine (sp?), wrote many of the lyrics/spiels he had).

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Court Jester is funny but Kaye shines in Me and the Colonel (much more serious).  Plus, he was in a TV movie about Skokie.  Several years ago, he had a day or something devoted to him, and Robert Osborne or Ben interviewed his daughter (Kaye's wife, Sylvia Fine (sp?), wrote many of the lyrics/spiels he had).

Yes, they had a day-long tribute for him on his 100th birthday. Ben did wraparounds with the daughter who talked about her parents' collaborations on some of the films.

But aside from that rare occasion, they usually do not lease very many of his films from Paramount.

The first time I was taken to Radio City Music Hall, Merry Andrew (1958) was the film that followed the Easter Show. It was a thrilling experience for a little kid,   but I don't remember too much about the movie.

• Like 1