Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CA governor recall vote?

How Gavin Newsom could lose the California recall to a Republican with half as many votes-

"In 2018, Gavin Newsom was elected governor of California with 62 percent of the vote — the largest Democratic landslide in state history. Nearly three years later, 57 percent of Californians still approve of Newsom’s performance in office, according to a recent CBS News poll. And Democratic voters outnumber Republican voters statewide by a massive nearly 2-1 ratio.

Yet on Sept. 14 Newsom could still lose his job to a Republican — even if that Republican earns half as many votes as he does. 

The bizarre (and very real) possibility of such a seemingly undemocratic upset has politicos across America paying closer attention to this year’s California recall effort than to any since 2003 — aka, the one that gave the world Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And they’re all asking the same question: How could this happen?

The answer is, well, complicated. .......

So Newsom’s predicament partly has to do with the tensions around COVID. Partly it has to do with realities on the ground — rampant homelessness, astronomical living costs, violent crime — that have been amplified by the pandemic.

Partly it has to do with an intensity gap between Republicans who desperately want to dethrone a Democrat and Democrats who barely realize that the Democrat they just elected could actually be dethroned (or barely care enough about state politics to save someone who seems to represent a fraught status quo).

But mostly it has to do with the quirky mechanics of a recall process that sets the bar much higher for governors who want to remain in office than for challengers who want to replace them.......

https://news.yahoo.com/how-gavin-newsom-could-lose-the-california-recall-to-a-republican-with-half-as-many-votes-090013361.html

:wacko:

18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

How Gavin Newsom could lose the California recall to a Republican with half as many votes-

"In 2018, Gavin Newsom was elected governor of California with 62 percent of the vote — the largest Democratic landslide in state history. Nearly three years later, 57 percent of Californians still approve of Newsom’s performance in office, according to a recent CBS News poll. And Democratic voters outnumber Republican voters statewide by a massive nearly 2-1 ratio.

Yet on Sept. 14 Newsom could still lose his job to a Republican — even if that Republican earns half as many votes as he does. 

The bizarre (and very real) possibility of such a seemingly undemocratic upset has politicos across America paying closer attention to this year’s California recall effort than to any since 2003 — aka, the one that gave the world Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And they’re all asking the same question: How could this happen?

The answer is, well, complicated. .......

So Newsom’s predicament partly has to do with the tensions around COVID. Partly it has to do with realities on the ground — rampant homelessness, astronomical living costs, violent crime — that have been amplified by the pandemic.

Partly it has to do with an intensity gap between Republicans who desperately want to dethrone a Democrat and Democrats who barely realize that the Democrat they just elected could actually be dethroned (or barely care enough about state politics to save someone who seems to represent a fraught status quo).

But mostly it has to do with the quirky mechanics of a recall process that sets the bar much higher for governors who want to remain in office than for challengers who want to replace them.......

https://news.yahoo.com/how-gavin-newsom-could-lose-the-california-recall-to-a-republican-with-half-as-many-votes-090013361.html

:wacko:

I'm voting to remove Newsom.    One reason is that it is clear all he cares about is himself and his political career.   He doesn't care about the CA Dem party or the citizens of CA.      Otherwise he would have welcomed a highly qualified Dem to run thus allowing the messaging from the CA Dem party to be; Vote NO on the recall (question 1),  but for Dem ABC (on question 2).   

Instead the message from Newsom was to vote NO but to not select anyone in question 2.     I.e.  to NOT vote.      I just find it hard to support politicians like Newsom.    

Even the L.A. Times recommendation is to vote NO on the recall but to vote for former San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer to ensure that someone with experience in executive management  is the replacement (if there is to be one).    Faulconer will be my choice for Question-2.  

It looks like California is going to parole Sirhan Sirhan, RFK's murderer.  You know, the guy who made President Richard Nixon possible? Now, Newsom has nothing to do with that decision but I guarantee you somebody will say he does and he won't gain votes by that happening. Also, I wonder if Afghanistan will hurt Newsom, just because he is a Democrat? Again, this has nothing to do with Newsom but you never know what the impact will be.

48 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

It looks like California is going to parole Sirhan Sirhan, RFK's murderer.  You know, the guy who made President Richard Nixon possible? Now, Newsom has nothing to do with that decision but I guarantee you somebody will say he does and he won't gain votes by that happening. Also, I wonder if Afghanistan will hurt Newsom, just because he is a Democrat? Again, this has nothing to do with Newsom but you never know what the impact will be.

Big assumption that Robert Kennedy would have won the Democratic nomination (probably) AND that he could win the presidential election (doubtful).  RFK stalled around until Eugene McCarthy proved in New Hampshire that Lyndon Johnson was vulnerable.  Not saying I did not respect RFK, but you never know about politics.  I actually had a McCarthy bumper sticker on my car in college. 

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Big assumption that Robert Kennedy would have won the Democratic nomination (probably) AND that he could win the presidential election (doubtful).  RFK stalled around until Eugene McCarthy proved in New Hampshire that Lyndon Johnson was vulnerable.  Not saying I did not respect RFK, but you never know about politics.  I actually had a McCarthy bumper sticker on my car in college. 

I just remember that Hubert Humphrey was not a good campaigner and was far too liberal for the country at the time. RFK was liberal too, but he had a much larger likeability factor which plays a big part in politics whether you like it or not. Then there was the Wallace factor which took the deep south out of the equation for the GOP and the Democrats. Here is the 1968 electoral map:

ElectoralCollege1968.svg

Note that West Virginia and my home state, Texas actually went for Humphrey. How times have changed.  But in 1972, with clueless George McGovern running, that was a bridge too far even for - at that time - solidly blue Texas. 

The 1968 election is the first one that I remember and followed. I was ten at the time. 

2 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I just remember that Hubert Humphrey was not a good campaigner and was far too liberal for the country at the time. RFK was liberal too, but he had a much larger likeability factor which plays a big part in politics whether you like it or not. Then there was the Wallace factor which took the deep south out of the equation for the GOP and the Democrats. Here is the 1968 electoral map:

ElectoralCollege1968.svg

Note that West Virginia and my home state, Texas actually went for Humphrey. How times have changed.  But in 1972, with clueless George McGovern running, that was a bridge too far even for - at that time - solidly blue Texas. 

The 1968 election is the first one that I remember and followed. I was ten at the time. 

Being in college and in South Carolina at the time, I followed this election and do not believe Kennedy would have done any better than Humphrey - at least not enough to get 270 EC votes.

Electoral vote:  Nixon- 301; Humphrey - 191 and Wallace - 46.  If Wallace had not run, it is likely the five states he carried would have gone for Nixon.  GA, AL, MS & LA did go Republican in '64. 

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Being in college and in South Carolina at the time, I followed this election and do not believe Kennedy would have done any better than Humphrey - at least not enough to get 270 EC votes.

Electoral vote:  Nixon- 301; Humphrey - 191 and Wallace - 46.  If Wallace had not run, it is likely the five states he carried would have gone for Nixon.  GA, AL, MS & LA did go Republican in '64. 

I wonder whatever happened to the votes EUGENE McCARTHY got in the primaries he won before RFK was assassinated and Humphrey won the dem nomination?   Last I remember he was thinking of running as an independent but I don't recall that ever happening.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I wonder whatever happened to the votes EUGENE McCARTHY got in the primaries he won before RFK was assassinated and Humphrey won the dem nomination?   Last I remember he was thinking of running as an independent but I don't recall that ever happening.

Sepiatone

Interesting information below.  Apparently McCarthy led in the primary voting, but that included Johnson, Humphrey and Kennedy.  Of course, the Dem. party leadership had a "brokered" convention whereby Humphrey "won."   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_history_of_Eugene_McCarthy

• Thanks 1

As entertaining as it would be to see Box Elder as the right wing governor of a deep blue state, probably

best to forego that possibility for now. The Hump made up ground on Tricky Dicky toward the end of

the election, making the popular vote fairly close, though not the electoral vote. I don't know if the Hump

was too liberal for America, but he had the disadvantages of being yoked to LBJ and Vietnam plus the disastrous

Chicago Democratic convention. It was almost worth Nixon winning to see him brought down by the Watergate

scandal. How sweet was it to see that bastard resign and depart? Super sweet. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

According to CNN and MSNBC this morning, Newsome is going to win and Elder has already conceded with NO mention of fraud or other irregularities.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Mary Trump appears to be as clueless as many people here at this website;   The CA recall process does need to change but it is the Dems pols that don't wish for it to change.   Since the Terminator left office in 2011, the Dems have had all the political power in CA.    E.g.  Super majority in the state house and Dem governors (two terms for Jerry Brown).   

They made ZERO attempt to change the recall process since they wished to retain it just in case a Republican was to become Governor.    Of course NOW Dem pols are saying the recall should be changed,  but lets see if they really try to make that happen.