Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Almost Got By.

Happy Birthday to This Spicy, Fiesty, Rambunctious, and Lovely GoofBall. Her Collaboration(s) With Red Skeleton Always Leave Me in STITCHES. Would Have Been One Hundred and Five

Butte, Montana. 1916. Rest In Peace You Vivacious Goof, You. Your Humour. And Beauty (why not) Is Tops.

8 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

It's a shame she had so much of her film career at Paramount, making many of her films unavailable or hard to find. 

Do you think stars today like Tom Cruise, say "it's a shame I make all my most important films at Paramount. TCM won't be airing them 50 years from now!"

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Do you think stars today like Tom Cruise, say "it's a shame I make all my most important films at Paramount. TCM won't be airing them 50 years from now!"

Now be fair TB!  Raye was at Paramount in the 1930s and early 40s. There was one way to see films - in a theater. Nobody would own copies of films until VHS recorders in the  late 1970s.  Raye's films are owned by Universal today and some are on DVD and some are not. None of Cruise's films are going to be lost. Now humanity could cease to exist due to global warming and then nobody will be showing Cruise's films 50 years from now, but I think that's the only way that happens. 

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Now be fair TB!  Raye was at Paramount in the 1930s and early 40s. There was one way to see films - in a theater. Nobody would own copies of films until VHS recorders in the  late 1970s.  Raye's films are owned by Universal today and some are on DVD and some are not. None of Cruise's films are going to be lost. Now humanity could cease to exist due to global warming and then nobody will be showing Cruise's films 50 years from now, but I think that's the only way that happens. 

I know you're being humorous. But I was sort of making a serious point. Will today's stars under contract at Paramount and Universal have their films fall out of the public eye if those two studios do not create their own classic film channel?

Or will an entity like TCM eventually gain control of classic films from those studios?

Otherwise what happened to Raye, Ladd, Lake, Crosby, Lamour and Hope will happen to Cruise and his modern day counterparts.

37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I know you're being humorous. But I was sort of making a serious point. Will today's stars under contract at Paramount and Universal have their films fall out of the public eye if those two studios do not create their own classic film channel?

Or will an entity like TCM eventually gain control of classic films from those studios?

Otherwise what happened to Raye, Ladd, Lake, Crosby, Lamour and Hope will happen to Cruise and his modern day counterparts.

Ya know TB, I have no idea what the future holds. There is nothing specifically wrong at Paramount that will necessarily project into the future. There is nothing specifically right with Warner Brothers that will necessarily project into the future. I think that the future will be more promising for people who want to see film oddities and films from the past because entertainment is becoming increasingly  splintered due to the way that entertainment is delivered.  And I really have no idea if Tom Cruise will be looked upon, 50 years from now, like George Arliss is today - somebody who has been forgotten by film history.

Youtube has a wealth of obscure old films and especially made-for-TV films. You brought up somewhere else the film "Thin Ice" as having a romantic storyline nobody would touch with a ten foot pole today, and I found it on youtube and I plan to watch it later tonight. What surprises me is that I don't remember it because 1981 was a lonely year for me for reasons that would entail a long boring story. So I generally remember EVERY made-for-TV movie from that year and I do not remember that one. So, the Internet and cloud resident entertainment make it possible for you to tell me about an obscure film and possible for me to find it. 

At first I thought you were trying to pick a fight with me for some odd reason, but you were not. BUT if you ever feel in an argumentative mood, and a punching bag is not around, may I suggest the "Off Topic" subforum. Just go post something that the others will object to - anything right of far left will do - and I guarantee somebody will engage you in an argument and get it out of your system.  Plus they are eloquent over there.  It has this effect on me:

Cripes MAT.    TB was just being facetious and teasing with you a little.  And to both of you I'll just say...

REMEMBER.

This is a thread created to posthumously celebrate the birthday of MARTHA RAYE.   NOT a discussion of whose movies will be watched by anyone 50 years from now, or who made movies at what studio that TCM can't get rights to show.    So let's celebrate this way....

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

You brought up somewhere else the film "Thin Ice" as having a romantic storyline nobody would touch with a ten foot pole today, and I found it on youtube and I plan to watch it later tonight. What surprises me is that I don't remember it because 1981 was a lonely year for me for reasons that would entail a long boring story. So I generally remember EVERY made-for-TV movie from that year and I do not remember that one.

Let us know your thoughts about the TV movie THIN ICE (1981).

If you don't like it, there is always THIN ICE (1937)...an enjoyable Sonja Henie film. :) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Cripes MAT.    TB was just being facetious and teasing with you a little.  And to both of you I'll just say...

REMEMBER.

This is a thread created to posthumously celebrate the birthday of MARTHA RAYE.   NOT a discussion of whose movies will be watched by anyone 50 years from now, or who made movies at what studio that TCM can't get rights to show.    So let's celebrate this way....

Sepiatone

LOVE it.

44 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

1991's FOR THE BOYS was supposed to be based on her life but I hear she wasn't happy with the end result....so much so that she ended up suing Bette Midler.

Her attorneys claimed that For The Boys was plagiarized from an "outline" for an autobiography, but the court dismissed her claim, presumably because so much about her career was public record. The career of Midler's character in the film didn't really parallel Raye's in many particulars other than the USO service, in my opinion.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

The career of Midler's character in the film didn't really parallel Raye's in many particulars other than the USO service, in my opinion.

:o  You mean Raye told D!CK JOKES?  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 8/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, Sepiatone said:

. . . This is a thread created to posthumously celebrate the birthday of MARTHA RAYE.   NOT a discussion of whose movies will be watched by anyone 50 years from now, or who made movies at what studio that TCM can't get rights to show.    So let's celebrate this way...

• Like 1

I met Martha back in the  80's when she was doing cabaret downtown in NYC. The Sons of the Desert (NY Founding Tent) gave her our annual Comedy Performer Award and made the  presentation on-site.

My favorite pics of hers are DOUBLE OR NOTHING, HELLZAPOPPIN', THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, KEEP 'EM FLYING and MONSIEUR VERDOUX.

Here's the trailer to BOYS FROM SYRACUSE (transfer of my 16mm print):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Martha Raye is interred at Fort Bragg, NC. The only non-military internment who wasn't the spouse of a military server. 

2334_740d999e-e958-4e68-9d1f-5165ac4b005

It Is Stupid, Sad, and Perhaps Pathetic but that Kind of Chokes Me Up. That Is Sweet. In A Touching, Classy Way.

15 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I met Martha back in the  80's when she was doing cabaret downtown in NYC. The Sons of the Desert (NY Founding Tent) gave her our annual Comedy Performer Award and made the  presentation on-site.

My favorite pics of hers are DOUBLE OR NOTHING, HELLZAPOPPIN', THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, KEEP 'EM FLYING and MONSIEUR VERDOUX.

Here's the trailer to BOYS FROM SYRACUSE (transfer of my 16mm print):

Watching This Trailer Reminds me of One Particular Sketch Ive Seen Multiple Times of Ms Raye And Red Skeleton. A Rather Noticeably Edgy Sharp-Tongued (and Funny) Sketch At That.

From what I've read Raye wasn't the greatest mother. She cut her daughter out of her will and her conniving gay much younger hubby got it all.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

From what I've read Raye wasn't the greatest mother. She cut her daughter out of her will and her conniving gay much younger hubby got it all.

Wow, I didn't know that about her.

Another Hollywoodite reported to be a lousy parent. I don't know it's true or not about Raye, but if it is , maybe she should have been relieved that Midler and the other filmmakers of FOR THE BOYS didn't divulge into that aspect of her life.

32 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Wow, I didn't know that about her.

Another Hollywoodite reported to be a lousy parent. I don't know it's true or not about Raye, but if it is , maybe she should have been relieved that Midler and the other filmmakers of FOR THE BOYS didn't divulge into that aspect of her life.

LOL. She had a drinking problem as well. I read a bio of her (some University Press publication) that came out, maybe 20 yrs ago. Her personal life was a mess. But she did great work entertaining the troups. Her last (gay) hubby took her for all she was worth.........