Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MERLE OBERON

Allhallowsday

MERLE OBERON 

I searched for a topic thread about MERLE OBERON, found none, and saw bits of her films yesterday and thought she warrants a thread. 

Unfortunately, there is only one film of hers that I particularly like, it was on late last night and I only watched a few minutes.   BERLIN EXPRESS (1948) ...I had forgotten all about (maybe because I think of it as a ROBERT RYAN (hero) or PAUL LUKAS (hero) film).   I had not realized the film was directed by JACQUES TOURNEUR...

WUTHERING HEIGHTS was of course the film on at 8pm est.   My older sister's favorite film, needless to say I've seen that one enough (though it has some great moments, awesome cast). 

Her personal story is complicated and remarkable. 

wuthering-heights-laurence-olivier-merle

s-l400.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of Merle Oberon but the TCM line-up for her day was missing many of my favorite films and my favorite,   The Scarlett Pimpernel was the first film so it was on way too early for me on the west coast.     Films I wish TCM had shown are:

These Three

That Uncertain Feeling

The Lodger

A Song to Remember

• Like 3

I'm not very familiar with most of her movies, but, last night, I watched "Wuthering Heights," for the third or fourth time, primarily for her performance -- although I appreciate David Niven and Olivier more each go around. I was surprised to hear Ben M. say that Olivier wanted his wife, Vivian Leigh, to play the part.   Fortunately she was busy making GWTW. I can easily picture Vivian Leigh playing those moments when Catherine was feeling greedy for pretty dresses and fine living, but I can't imagine her bringing the dark intensity that Oberon gave us during those wonderful romantic speeches. "Nellie, I am Heathcliff!" 

I think she's fabulous, I'll keep watching for more of her films.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I am not a big fan, hence I forgot this one... with LAIRD CREGAR... that's an interesting film I like too.  MERLE OBERON was certainly attractive and charming... I like her...for me, sometimes hammy. 

The Lodger is a very good film.    Laird Cregar is the main reason to watch but George Sanders and Merle Oberon are in good form.     Oberon looks beautiful in period films. 

Cover Girls & Dancing Cavaliers — nitratediva: Merle Oberon in The Lodger  (1944).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Lodger is a very good film.    Laird Cregar is the main reason to watch but George Sanders and Merle Oberon are in good form. 

I often forget those many supporting parts GEORGE SANDERS played... I love him, another reason I like that film.   

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't understand your bold print of the names with capital letters and your question mark. Are you horrified by this specific casting?

Hardly.  I always capitalize and embolden the names of the notable.  That being said, my question was directed at our friend who brought that particular film up.  I did not look it up and was not certain that I had the cast correct, hence the question mark.  Is that enough of an explanation? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Hardly.  I always capitalize and embolden the names of the notable.  That being said, my question was directed at our friend who brought that particular film up.  I did not look it up and was not certain that I had the cast correct, hence the question mark.  Is that enough of an explanation? 

Yes,  the three in These-Three are Oberon,  Hopkins and McCrea.    The play was The Children's Hour. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  the three in These-Three are Oberon,  Hopkins and McCrea.    The play was The Children's Hour. 

I don't always research to confirm, but I know the play and films well.  LILLIAN HELLMAN wrote it.  She also wrote WATCH ON THE RHINE another film adaptation of her play that I like a lot (BETTE takes backseat to PAUL LUKAS - awesome).