Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would you pay 9.99 a month to be able to view any film in the "TCM Library" any time you wanted?

Outside of Disney+ and their animated canon (and we're still waiting for a few more vintage live-actions), it's rare that you'll see ANY studio make their catalog available on streaming.

They've got a kind of conflicted relationship:  They WANT us to transfer over to streaming from disk--after we didn't transfer over to Digital VOD, but made a big fuss about Netflix instead--but, since streaming is the new thing, studios want to use it as the default tech-illiterate scapegoat to blame for any of their own failures they can blame it on.  If a movie doesn't do well in theaters, everybody "must have seen it at home on premium", or else they'd just "rather stay at home" and watch streaming in general.   Also, they want us to pay them directly for our movies (that's why they were obsessed with Digital VOD in the 10's), they just don't us to pay them once, per month, and get everything free.

So, studios will license their content--some of it, anyway, just the main franchises they want us to identify the studio with--they just won't have it around for long.

(Just last week, I got curious for "Whatever happened to Peacock?", which I'd already lost interest and moved on from months ago.  I'd had a good queue of Hitchcock, some of the obscure Monsters, a couple of Marx Brothers for whenever, and a few Monster High, which really aren't so bad.  When I looked again last week...my queue was EMPTY.  All the studio-iconic Universal Hitchcocks, Monsters and Marxes had been dropped from the service, so they could make more room for their Original series and their sweet negotiated deal to show Harry Potter, because their theme parks got the rights.)

Here's the crux of the matter, I think: 

With the main ?CM cable/satellite broadcast channel, exactly ONE movie needs to be licensed at any given time.  JUST ONE.

Get it now?  😁

To insert some WSS gold & silver humor into this (making fun of banksters who make fun of G&S), "it's a transient thing".  Well TCM has been a transient thing since about 1994.  Here's to the next 25+ years.  Don't screw it up!!  (I'm looking at you WB/Discovery channel)

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Does HBO Max not contain the entire TCM library?

HBO Max has a relatively small selection of available titles referred to as "classics curated by TCM" (probably no more than 200 at a time).  Among these there is a large percentage of what TCM fans would think of as newer titles (70s-80s-90s), and foreign films borrowed from the Criterion streaming service.  So the list of classic Hollywood studio films (30s-40s-50s) is an even smaller portion of this group.

Although the list of available films is modified on a monthly basis, HBO Max makes no attempt to approximate what FilmStruck used to be, and is more just a 'sample platter' of classic films.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here's the crux of the matter, I think: 

With the main ?CM cable/satellite broadcast channel, exactly ONE movie needs to be licensed at any given time.  JUST ONE.

Get it now?  😁

To insert some WSS gold & silver humor into this (making fun of banksters who make fun of G&S), "it's a transient thing".  Well TCM has been a transient thing since about 1994.  Here's to the next 25+ years.  Don't screw it up!!  (I'm looking at you WB/Discovery channel)

Your point is well taken.  The slight exception is WatchTCM, which takes a step towards an a-la-carte streaming service.  At any given time there are 20+ titles available there for a week or so.  But the idea is the same, there is a limited list of films that are being licensed and not the whole library.

- I diverge -

With the changes in the organization of Warner and their cable properties through the different ownership groups, it is not clear to me what the ‘TCM library’ really consists of these days.

When TCM started (before there was streaming), it seemed like the TCM channel had a much stronger grip on the Warner-MGM-RKO studio titles that we are so familiar with.  Now I suspect the TCM channel is somewhat leasing these titles from a different portion of the company.  They may have some advantage in getting access, but there appears to be limitations on what can be shown and when.  We have noticed some of the Christmas titles going away to other channels for some period of time, for example.  As further evidence, the quality of the video shown for individual titles also changes from time to time, and not always for the better, unfortunately.  (One explanation is that the video is no longer in-house but is being provided by another source or department.)

If only someone from TCM would get on the message board and answer a few questions occasionally...

(Perhaps this has been explained in detail in the past and I am just unaware of it.  If so, maybe someone can point it out.)

• Like 1

So would all that information help you decide if if you would pay $9.99 a month to be able to view any film in the  TCM? library anytime you wanted?  :huh:

Sepiatone

On 8/30/2021 at 4:15 AM, cmovieviewer said:

HBO Max has a relatively small selection of available titles referred to as "classics curated by TCM" (probably no more than 200 at a time).  Among these there is a large percentage of what TCM fans would think of as newer titles (70s-80s-90s), and foreign films borrowed from the Criterion streaming service.  So the list of classic Hollywood studio films (30s-40s-50s) is an even smaller portion of this group.

Although the list of available films is modified on a monthly basis, HBO Max makes no attempt to approximate what FilmStruck used to be, and is more just a 'sample platter' of classic films.

The times I have checked the TCM site on HBO Max, there were no where near 200 movies.  Haven't counted, but seemed more like a couple of dozen maybe.

EDIT:  Searched it and probably 500+ movies, but not a great selection.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

The times I have checked the TCM site on HBO Max, there were no where near 200 movies.  Haven't counted, but seemed more like a couple of dozen maybe.

The site has an A-Z list for the TCM section:

kl3CLhu.jpg

Currently there are 114 rows of 5 films each so there are actually around 570+ films to choose from right now.  From this small example you can see how much of it is Criterion titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Currently there are 114 rows of 5 films each so there are actually around 570+ films to choose from right now.  From this small example you can see how much of it is Criterion titles.

And the Criterion titles only got in there because Warner pretty much moved their old Filmstruck classic/Criterion catalog over to the TCM page lock, stock and barrel.

At the moment, it’s a better deal than Criterion’s own attempt at a so,o service, which doesn’t have any apps fo my living-room console.

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

At the moment, it’s a better deal than Criterion’s own attempt at a so,o service, which doesn’t have any apps fo my living-room console.

WOW-I haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

a30b6525853e7b96bb5e4a080463c81c.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

kl3CLhu.jpg

I went back yesterday and started counting.  Stopped at about 300 or so - about halfway through.  Did scan all the titles and didn't find anything I wanted to watch or even put on my "to watch" list.  So a lot of movies there. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, Swithin said:

Here are the facts about the TCM movies (177 at present) I can watch online, or wherever. This is different from the "On Demand" feature on my television.

FAQ:

What is Watch TCM?

Watch TCM is a "TV Everywhere" service that allows you to access on demand movies as well as live broadcasts of TCM online and on devices that support the Watch TCM app.

Which Devices is Watch TCM available on?

• Online at TCM.com/watch
  • iOS phones and tablets (iPads)
  • Android phones
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Apple TV (4th generation)

Apple Airplay is also supported for Watch TCM

Do I need a Cable TV or Satellite TV subscription to use Watch TCM?

Yes. You must be subscribed to Turner Classic Movies at home through a cable or satellite TV provider in order to use Watch TCM.

Ok, I have TCM at home. How do I access/sign-in to Watch TCM to watch movies?

Here are simple steps to access Watch TCM.

1.  Have your Cable or Satellite TV account login information ready, this is usually just a user name and password. If you don’t know what this is, contact your service provider.

2.  Find your service provider from our list. If you are having problems seeing your TV provider, please select “view all” for an alphabetical list. 

3.  Enter these credentials into the Watch TCM sign-up screen. Your TV Service Provider needs to be on our list of partners. Watch TCM is available only to customers who get TCM at home and have a TV provider on our current list.

What movies are available?

Most of the films that air on TCM are available on Watch TCM. However, due to licensing issues, some titles may not be available. Shorts that air on the network are also available on Watch TCM as well as hosted introductions to movies.

How long are movies available?

Movies are available generally for 7 days in Watch TCM after they air on Turner Classic Movies. In most cases, movies will appear in Watch TCM within 3 hours after they air on the network.

Can I watch the live broadcast of TCM?

Yes. There are 2 live broadcasts on Watch TCM. The West Coast feed shows films in PST, while the East Coast version shows films in EST. No matter where you are, you can access either of these live broadcasts in Watch TCM. 

I missed my favorite movie. Will it come back?

In most cases, Yes. Movies often air on TCM more than once during the year, and if we have the licensing rights to play the movie on Watch TCM, they will be included again.

How do I use Closed Captions on Watch TCM?

Locate the “CC” box on your online video player or mobile device video playback. If captions are available for the program, selecting this box will enable Closed Captions to appear.

I signed up for this year or so ago but did not want to watch on computer.  Is it possible to log in, select a movie and then have it "sent" to a smart TV?

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

I signed up for this year or so ago but did not want to watch on computer.  Is it possible to log in, select a movie and then have it "sent" to a smart TV?

I'm not sure. What I do is log on and select the movie on my phone or laptop, then connect it to my TV with an HDMI cable, if I want to watch on my TV. But I usually don't mind watching on my laptop, because I can use my AirPods, which I can't do with my TV, which I believe is smart but not quite smart enough.

My cable company is RCN. This service, which comes with my cable, is called RCN2Go, the point being you can watch a lot of stuff wherever you are. But since it's material not available on TV at the moment, I tend to watch at home. You have to log in -- most cable companies are noted, so I guess most participate in this.

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

My grandparents used to have one of those, in fact I think it was the only television they ever had.

My grandpa gave it to us but by the time we got it, it was on its last legs. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Ah yes.  Back in the day when they actually radio/record player and TV repair people who would come to your house.  Now you purchase separate components and when they break, send them to landfill and buy a new, improved model.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, ElCid said:

If you have a smart TV, then you likely have the Watch TCM app on it.  You can search for it through your TV's search interface.  As an example, my Roku TV has  the Watch TCM app.  You can install it and then have access to it on your TV.

One other option is to cast it from your laptop, desktop or tablet to your smart TV.  Details depend on your computer's operating system and brand of TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow.  One of my step sisters had one that also included a reel-to-reel tape recorder/player.  Looked a block long!

Sepiatone

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

when they break, send them to landfill and buy a new, improved model

I'm thinking about taking an electronic repair person job just to learn how to troubleshoot my basic components.

I get Watch TCM through HBOMax which MrTiki has subscribed to. I have never seen anything listed I haven't seen zillion times before. I have a huge library of DVDs to watch but like watching them when they air on TCM for the discussion aspect here. I'm currently watching something someone else had recently seen (I Just Watched Thread)  that I got from the library.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

If you have a smart TV, then you likely have the Watch TCM app on it.  You can search for it through your TV's search interface.  As an example, my Roku TV has  the Watch TCM app.  You can install it and then have access to it on your TV.

One other option is to cast it from your laptop, desktop or tablet to your smart TV.  Details depend on your computer's operating system and brand of TV.

You can access Watch TCM (which I cannot) via a Roku device (which I have) only if you also subscribe to a pay TV service.

I watch TCM via Sling TV on my Roku device. But because I do not have a cable TV provider (too much double-dipping, triple-dipping for me), I am unable to access Watch TCM. I wish that I could (without having to pay a cable TV provider) because the drag about watching on Sling is that sometimes a TCM broadcast is unavailable on Sling because of contractual agreements, ownership rights, licensing issues, etc.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

You can access Watch TCM (which I cannot) via a Roku device (which I have) only if you also subscribe to a pay TV service.

I watch TCM via Sling TV on my Roku device. But because I do not have a cable TV provider (too much double-dipping, triple-dipping for me), I am unable to access Watch TCM. I wish that I could (without having to pay a cable TV provider) because the drag about watching on Sling is that sometimes a TCM broadcast is unavailable on Sling because of contractual agreements, ownership rights, licensing issues, etc.

Check again.  Just this last week I noticed that my streaming provider, You Tube TV, and Hulu were added to the list of providers.  I was able to authenticate via YT TV with no issues and have used Watch TCM successfully in the past few days.

The problem with that idea is:

1.  Too many interested in classic films have fixed incomes and couldn't afford it.
  2. Most would simply watch what they know they like and then have no need for the service and
  3. Not enough fans to support such a service.

There's never going to be an ideal service. Some want to see hits, others want to see obscure, rarely played films. No one channel has the rights to all movies. So each one will always be lacking in one way or the other. TCM is by far the best option, compared to the rest.

16 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

That's one of the reasons Sling is so cheap. You get what you pay for. I've had Sling TV almost since it began and I've never regretted it.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Check again.  Just this last week I noticed that my streaming provider, You Tube TV, and Hulu were added to the list of providers.  I was able to authenticate via YT TV with no issues and have used Watch TCM successfully in the past few days.

Thanks for the notification. Alas, your suggestion doesn't work on my Roku device.

After I enter the code to activate the Watch TCM app on my Roku device, I am prompted to select my TV Service Provider. I don't have one; I "cut the cord" years ago, and watch TCM strictly via Sling TV on Roku.

Thanks anyway!

3 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Thanks for the notification. Alas, your suggestion doesn't work on my Roku device.

After I enter the code to activate the Watch TCM app on my Roku device, I am prompted to select my TV Service Provider. I don't have one; I "cut the cord" years ago, and watch TCM strictly via Sling TV on Roku.

Thanks anyway!

Yes, I know you cut the cord, as did I.  I just thought Sling might have been added recently, just as YouTube TV and Hulu were added as providers to TCM's list.  Too bad Sling hasn't been added yet.