Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ed Asner (1929-2021)

speedracer5

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ad-asner-dead-lou-grant-mary-tyler-moore-1234823859/

RIP Mr. Asner.  I loved you as Lou Grant in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," as Carl in "Up," and as Santa in "Elf."

Asner's passing leaves Betty White as the only surviving cast member of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."  She's also the only surviving cast member of "The Golden Girls."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 3

With seven wins, Asner reigned as the most-honored male actor in the history of the Primetime Emmy Awards.

He also became the first series regular to win comedic and dramatic Emmys, and it was for playing the same character -- Lou Grant. He received three Emmys (1971, 1972, 1974) as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his work as Grant in CBS' much-praised "Mary Tyler Moore" sitcom. He then received two Emmys (1978, 1980) as Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series after the character was spun off in CBS' hour-long hit "Lou Grant."

Carroll O'Connor, Edie Falco and Uzo Aduba duplicated Asner's feat of winning Emmys for comedic and dramatic series. O'Connor was honored for performances in "All in the Family" and "In the Heat of the Night." Falco won for "The Sopranos" and "Nurse Jackie." 

Aduba won Emmys for her performances as Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren in Netflix's "Orange Is the New Black." Her first Emmy came when "OITNB" was entered as a comedy. She won again when the series was considered a drama.

Asner's other Primetime Emmys were for his performances in the 1970s ABC miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man" (as the difficult father of the Jordache brothers) and "Roots" (as the captain of a slave ship). 

See the source image

• Like 4

I was just thinking about him yesterday. 

Rest in peace, Ed. You raised the bar for quality on television in so many ways.

For anyone who's interested, he gave two lengthy interviews with the Television Academy Foundation...one in 1999 and another in 2010.

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/edward-asner

"How do I keep from getting panicky? You concentrate on the basics, you concentrate on being as perfect as you can on the lines. You work on your breath control. You keep telling yourself 'stop being a ****, stop being a ****.' And you concentrate, concentrate, concentrate. Even this will not save you, but you've got to rely on the basics." 

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 11.04.28 AM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Asner's passing leaves Betty White as the only surviving cast member of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."  She's also the only surviving cast member of "The Golden Girls."

And just about any show from the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Betty White is the Olivia De Havilland of Television. 😄

• Like 8

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ad-asner-dead-lou-grant-mary-tyler-moore-1234823859/

RIP Mr. Asner.  I loved you as Lou Grant in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," as Carl in "Up," and as Santa in "Elf."

Don't forget that John Amos appeared occasionally as Gordy the weatherman during the run of the series. 

See the source image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edward  Asner  was  in  a  lot  of  good  movies  that  I  liked.   The  Slender  Thread  1965   El  Dorado  1966  Skin  Game  1971   Fort  Apache  The  Bronx  1981  Edward  Asner  was  also  in  the  mini  series  Roots .  Edward  Asner  was  very  good  actor  and  i  will  miss  him.

• Like 2

Ed Asner was wonderful as Lou Grant, assertive and, at times, grumpy on the outside but a bit of a marshmallow inside. Sure, on the surface, it sounds like a stereotype but Asner, along with the show's great writing, brought a depth to the role that never made his character seem like a cliche.

These many scenes, with Mary seeking advice from Mr. Grant in his office, were, as far as I'm concerned, the very heart of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Ed Asner Tribute to Mary Tyler Moore: Remembering His “Tremendously  Talented, Funny and Beautiful” Friend – The Hollywood Reporter

Thanks, Ed Asner, for your marvelous contribution to one of the great situation comedies. It's time to start giving Mary advice again.

RIP.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Ed Asner was wonderful as Lou Grant, assertive and, at times, grumpy on the outside but a bit of a marshmallow inside. Sure, on the surface, it sounds like a stereotype but Asner, along with the show's great writing, brought a depth to the role that never made his character seem like a cliche.

He had charm as the growly teddy bear at Mary's office, but when Asner became president of the SAG--a usually politically-outspoken springboard for activist actors with political ambitions, qv. Reagan--the serious "Lou Grant" spinoff series became more of a Reagan-era headline-issue-of-the-week drama, and people pretty much expected that Asner's vanity would make a run for office by '88.   Probably best that that didn't happen, or we'd never have gotten Pixar's "Up".  

16 minutes ago, TomJH said:

These many scenes, with Mary seeking advice from Mr. Grant in his office, were, as far as I'm concerned, the very heart of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

I still remember the scene where Lou tries to talk Ted out of leaving the station for a game-show-host audition in NY:   "C'mon, Ted, you're a newsman--You're not going to give that up now, just so you can become a....quiz-master?  When you walk down the street, do you want people to say, 'Look, there goes Ted Baxter, the quizzzzz-massss-ter?"

It's going to be a blue Christmas without Asner. He appeared in productions as Santa Claus (or did voiceovers as St. Nick) many times. His most popular appearance: The 2003 comedy "Elf," which starred Will Ferrell as a misfit resident of The North Pole.

See the source image

• Like 1

I just put in an Inter-Library Loan request for the first season of "Lou Grant," a spin-off of 'MTM' featuring Asner's character in a dramatic role.  After being fired from WJM (along with everyone else, save for Ted), Lou moves to LA to work as an editor on the newspaper.  Throughout the run of MTM, it is obvious that Lou Grant missed his former career, doing more hard-hitting journalism.  There's even an entire episode where Lou gets a lead on a potentially corrupt politician running for office.  He gets excited about this opportunity for investigative journalism and is soon paying people off for information and everything he used to do as a reporter.  He also had an interesting relationship with Mary's Aunt Flo who is living the life and has the career that Lou wants. 

Anyway, I have never seen "Lou Grant."  It doesn't seem to have the afterlife in syndication that MTM has.  I'm excited that this show was available via the Inter-Library Loan system and I look forward to seeing it.

• Like 3

Ed Asner, wonderful solid actor. Always a quality performance. A few weeks ago, I watched an episode of Blue Bloods that he guest starred in. He gave a touching performance.

No one could have been a better Lou Grant. He  was  great in comedy or drama. So funny as Lou on the MTM show and great as Lou Grant in the tv drama he starred in. Besides his great acting ability,  he was known as a kind, generous, humanitarian.  

Thanks Ed Asner for the many hours of great entertainment, you were one of a kind.

RIP Ed Asner

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Crummy news. Thank You.

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just put in an Inter-Library Loan request for the first season of "Lou Grant," a spin-off of 'MTM' featuring Asner's character in a dramatic role.  After being fired from WJM (along with everyone else, save for Ted), Lou moves to LA to work as an editor on the newspaper.  Throughout the run of MTM, it is obvious that Lou Grant missed his former career, doing more hard-hitting journalism.  There's even an entire episode where Lou gets a lead on a potentially corrupt politician running for office.  He gets excited about this opportunity for investigative journalism and is soon paying people off for information and everything he used to do as a reporter.  He also had an interesting relationship with Mary's Aunt Flo who is living the life and has the career that Lou wants. 

Anyway, I have never seen "Lou Grant."  It doesn't seem to have the afterlife in syndication that MTM has.  I'm excited that this show was available via the Inter-Library Loan system and I look forward to seeing it.

Apparently, the only thing that could stop "Lou Grant" was Asner's political activism. He  was president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1981 to 1985. The drama was canceled in 1982 after its fifth season. CBS contended that the show's ratings had declined. But some observers cited Asner's vocal opposition to the Reagan administration's controversial stance on El Salvador as a major reason for the series' demise. 

See the source image

• Like 3