Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 8/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Dargo said:

Yep! I remember being JUST as ticked-off at the cancellation of the Lou Grant series (which was as one of the highest quality programs one could watch on network television at that time) as I had been about ten years earlier and after CBS cancelled The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, and pretty much for the same damn stupid reason.

(...yep TB, I agree...TOTALLY!!!)

When that show was new I was still a teenager.  I watched every episode and at that point of my life I think it was the only TV I was devoted to.  Long live Lou Grant! 

LouGrantLogo.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Sure, while it might have been "reality" that John Wayne called Ed Asner "that New York actor", the fact actually is that Asner was Kansas City born and bred, and wasn't on the New York stage for very long before he moved out to L.A. and started getting work in both films and on TV.

(...pilgrim)  ;)

Short stay in NYC or not. The point Wayne was making had more to do with politics than acting. Ed Asner = that NY liberal, that KC liberal, that anywhere liberal. Whatever flips your switch, pilgrim.

Later.

5 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

Short stay in NYC or not. The point Wayne was making had more to do with politics than acting. Ed Asner = that NY liberal, that KC liberal, that anywhere liberal. Whatever flips your switch, pilgrim.

Later.

I'd say John Wayne was a liberal

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

He'd disagree with you.

Don't care - He was definitely a liberal - and so were the directors he worked with - He still worked in Hollywood with the rest of them

He managed to get into a fight with Sinatra - if he wasn't a liberal they wouldn't have crossed paths

On 8/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, speedracer5 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ad-asner-dead-lou-grant-mary-tyler-moore-1234823859/

RIP Mr. Asner.  I loved you as Lou Grant in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," as Carl in "Up," and as Santa in "Elf."

Asner's passing leaves Betty White as the only surviving cast member of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."  She's also the only surviving cast member of "The Golden Girls."

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/08/ed-asner-star-wars-rwb1/

Did NOT Know This.

1 minute ago, Cinemartian said:

Don't care - He was definitely a liberal - and so were the directors he worked with - He still worked in Hollywood with the rest of them

He managed to get into a fight with Sinatra - if he wasn't a liberal they wouldn't have crossed paths

"Don't care". Obviously.  Frankly, your post obfuscates reality. Wayne was a conservative Republican, but he never fought Sinatra. He did punch out Sinatra's bodyguard once. FWIW,  Sinatra died a Republican. As did John Ford. As did James Cagney. As did many of the old Roosevelt Democrats.

During the Golden Age of Hollywood, there where many liberals and conservatives in Hollywood. Driving out the conservatives is one reason Hollywood makes horrible films these days. 

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

"Don't care". Obviously.  Frankly, your post obfuscates reality. Wayne was a conservative Republican, but he never fought Sinatra. He did punch out Sinatra's bodyguard once. FWIW,  Sinatra died a Republican. As did John Ford. As did James Cagney. As did many of the old Roosevelt Democrats.

During the Golden Age of Hollywood, there where many liberals and conservatives in Hollywood. Driving out the conservatives is one reason Hollywood makes horrible films these days. 

I agree with your last statement - I for one am a political conservative - but you do understand all these people were Liberals in essence

They were okay with Sex - regardless of how conservatively presented - if a girl in a bikini walked by they weren't running to shield her in a towel

18 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Lou's First Date" from Season 4- Lou is separated from his wife and needs a date for a banquet. Rhoda suggests a friend of hers but due to a mix up the date turns out to be her friend's 80 year old mother in law! Lou's reaction is priceless, he also finds out she was flower girl at Thomas Alva Edison's wedding.

This is one of my favorite episodes too.   I especially liked the part on their date where he stood up from the table and said "excuse me"...  and his date responded, "you're excused"!!

(My grandmother used to do this...)     

Great writing. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jakeem said:

You're thinking about that other Oscar winner named Hunt -- Helen.

See the source image

:blink: Ack!  I knew that, but for some reason when I posted the name, LINDA came out! :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:blink: Ack!  I knew that, but for some reason when I posted the name, LINDA came out! :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Well, considering Helen at that time was about as short as Linda is, I suppose I can understand your confusion here, ol' buddy.  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Cinemartian said:

I agree with your last statement - I for one am a political conservative - but you do understand all these people were Liberals in essence

They were okay with Sex - regardless of how conservatively presented - if a girl in a bikini walked by they weren't running to shield her in a towel

No. I do understand that ALL people are flawed human beings and some are more flawed  than others. But I never thought that creativity, or sex was a sign of political liberalism or conservatism. Its a sign of human nature. Besides, I was strictly talking politics and Wayne's calling out Asner's own political liberalism.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

Besides, I was strictly talking politics and Wayne's calling out Asner's own political liberalism.

Ya know, there's another thing about Asner that Wayne's "that New York actor" comment MIGHT have also been a veiled reference to, don't ya?

Uh-huh, yep. Asner's religion.

(...NOT sayin' this is a "fact" here pilgrim, but this DID cross my mind here)

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, there's another thing about Asner that Wayne's "that New York actor" comment MIGHT have also been a veiled reference to, don't ya?

Uh-huh, yep. Asner's religion.

(...NOT sayin' this is a "fact" here pilgrim, but this DID cross my mind here)

I suspect that ED ASNER  might've been amused by strangers "discussing" politics in his obit thread...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Didn't say he was here, pilgrim. 

Remember here pilgrim, I SAID up there that this thought "might not be a "fact", but ONLY that this thought "crossed my mind".

(...and btw...what was with your "IMDb" reference here?...is there something about this in that website?)

I hear ya. But you did post it. Which means you give it some level of  plausibility.  I do not.

You know as well as I do that the IMDb offers endless movie trivia sections. Most of it rings true. While some of it is not so true. This topic does not ring true.

Could you have read it in another format? May be. May be not. 

I almost forgot to mention that Asner was in "Change of Habit" (1969), the last feature film that starred Elvis as an actor. The movie's co-star: Mary Tyler Moore, who played a nun. 

200 ideas de ED ASNER | series de tv, mary tyler moore, televisión

ED had already appeared in bunches of television shows, television movies and theatrical movies starting in the late 1950s by the time the MARY TYLER MOORE show started in 1970 and he continued to appear in various TV films and a couple of theatrical features during the run of MTM.   He was one of those actors who was always busy; if you check out his IMDb filmography it's *PACKED* with credits.      

One thing I learned by looking at the IMDb was that Ed and Betty White co-starred in the 1998 action movie HARD RAIN, which I have not seen. 

→ I wonder if ED and WILLIAM SHATNER ever worked together?  SHATNER, 90, was also a work-a-holic with a busy filmography dating back to the late 1950s.  I know Ed and William both appeared on episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" -- but not the same episode . . . but did they work together on a TV show, Tv movie or theatrical movie?   Each one of them has so many credits I just don't know!   🤔

(Both Asner and Shatner worked with another well-known work-a-holic who sadly ended up working himself to death at age 48:  DAVID JANSSEN).

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

→ I wonder if ED and WILLIAM SHATNER ever worked together?  SHATNER, 90, was also a work-a-holic with a busy filmography dating back to the late 1950s.  I know Ed and William both appeared on episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" -- but not the same episode . . . but did they work together on a TV show, Tv movie or theatrical movie?   Each one of them has so many credits I just don't know!   🤔

(Both Asner and Shatner worked with another well-known work-a-holic who sadly ended up working himself to death at age 48:  DAVID JANSSEN).

IMDb has a special search function for this.

https://www.imdb.com/search/common/

When I plugged in their names, here's what came up:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?roles=nm0000799,nm0000638&title_type=feature,tv_episode,video,tv_movie,tv_special,mini_series,documentary,game,short

• Like 1

I didn't know about that "Search Function", o TXFILMFAN.  Looks like Ed and William worked together a few times and even had a conversation on the "Shatner's Raw Nerve" program.   👍

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I wonder if ED and WILLIAM SHATNER ever worked together?  SHATNER, 90, was also a work-a-holic with a busy filmography dating back to the late 1950s.  I know Ed and William both appeared on episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" -- but not the same episode . . . but did they work together on a TV show, Tv movie or theatrical movie?   Each one of them has so many credits I just don't know!   🤔

Yes Mr. G. In fact, Ed and Bill DID once work together on an old TV series, although Ed's part has always gone uncredited.

Uh-huh, sure. You remember this Twilight Zone episode I'm sure, RIGHT?!...

R.e417dcc296186ce932f307409ac90be8?rik=y

;)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes Mr. G. In fact, Ed and Bill DID once work together on an old TV series, although Ed's part has always gone uncredited.

Uh-huh, sure. You remember this Twilight Zone episode I'm sure, RIGHT?!...

R.e417dcc296186ce932f307409ac90be8?rik=y

;)

Who can forget that classic episode? 

Many seem to prefer the same story from the 1983 film, and while it is good in its own right, the TV episode scared the living daylights out of me.

BTW, Dargo, are you serious about Asner being the creature, or are you just pulling our leg here? ;)

Just now, Bethluvsfilms said:

Who can forget that classic episode? 

Many seem to prefer the same story from the 1983 film, and while it is good in its own right, the episode scared the living daylights out of me.

BTW, Dargo, are you serious about Asner being the creature, or are you just pulling our leg here? ;)

Actually Beth, I must admit for YEARS I thought the creature out on the wing of Bill's flight might have been Raymond Burr, and because it always reminded me of him.

(...however NOW, I must admit that, no, said creature wasn't Ed Asner...I just made all this up and because, well because, you know ME, don't YA?!!!) ;)

LOL.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Actually Beth, I must admit for YEARS I thought the creature out on the wing of Bill's flight might have been Raymond Burr, and because it always reminded me of him.

(...however NOW, I must admit that, no, said creature wasn't Ed Asner...I just made all this up and because, well because, you know ME, don't YA?!!!) ;)

LOL.

LOL I sure do. 

I didn't really think it was Asner, but for years I had no idea that was Roddy McDowall as Cornelius underneath all that ape make-up in PLANET OF THE APES either.

• Like 1