Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 9/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, jvirt53 said:

No. I do understand that ALL people are flawed human beings and some are more flawed  than others. But I never thought that creativity, or sex was a sign of political liberalism or conservatism. Its a sign of human nature. Besides, I was strictly talking politics and Wayne's calling out Asner's own political liberalism.

Sex is more of everything than you think - go listen to interviews with David Lynch

8 minutes ago, Cinemartian said:

Sex is more of everything than you think - go listen to interviews with David Lynch

I never said that. You did. I did say, that creativity and sex did not define one as a liberal or conservative. Sex, however, is a big part of being a human.

As for David Lynch, meh.

13 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

I never said that. You did. I did say, that creativity and sex did not define one as a liberal or conservative. Sex, however, is a big part of being a human.

As for David Lynch, meh.

Luis Bunuel then

On 8/31/2021 at 1:04 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I wouldn't have chosen those episodes, here are my favorite ones featuring the Lou Grant character-

"Baby Sitcom" from Season 2- Mary is supposed to baby sit Phyllis's daughter Bess but has a date, she asks Mr. Grant to fill in for her. Lou's scenes with Bess are very funny. The first thing he says is "Do anything ya want, kid, just don't play with matches!" They get along when Lou has some scotch and Bess plays poker with him.

"Lou's Place" from Season 3- Lou buys his favorite neighborhood bar, but the customers don't come. He decides he needs to be more lovable and tries a Happy Hour. He tries to lead the few customers into a sing a long, but they don't sing. In a hilarious moment he suddenly turns into his gruff old self and says "What the hell's wrong with you anyway?"  Then he DEMANDS everybody start singing. 

"Lou's First Date" from Season 4- Lou is separated from his wife and needs a date for a banquet. Rhoda suggests a friend of hers but due to a mix up the date turns out to be her friend's 80 year old mother in law! Lou's reaction is priceless, he also finds out she was flower girl at Thomas Alva Edison's wedding.

"Happy Birthday Lou" from Season 4- Mary plans a surprise birthday party for Lou since he will be alone on that day. She finds out he hates surprise parties when he tells her while a bunch of guests stand outside her door. One of the funniest scenes in the series history and he tries to get away from the rowdy bunch of partiers.

I love those episodes as well.  In "Baby Sitcom," I always laugh about the ratio of milk to cookie mix that Bess mixes together.  There is no way that those would bake correctly.  There is way too much liquid for a cookie batter. 

Lou's Place is hilarious.  COME ON AND HEAR, COME ON AND HEAR ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND.  

I also love "Lou's First Date" and he was so sweet at the dance when he finally got over himself and introduced Martha Dudley to Edie.

I love "Happy Birthday Lou."  Mary bringing everyone in one at a time is hilarious.

---

-I love "Lou and That Woman" where Lou starts dating Charlene, the lounge singer (Sheree North) after his divorce from Edie.  He shows up at work humming and with a pep in his step.  He's also sporting a very flashy (for Lou) outfit--wearing a yellow striped turtleneck and green crushed velvet suit jacket with brown flared slacks and leather shoes. A very non-Lou outfit.  Later, after he's made to feel self-conscious about his relationship and is depressed.  Mary comes into his office under the pretense of asking about the office redecoration.  He indicates he wants to paint his office black.  After telling him he can't paint his office black, Mary asks him what happened to the jovial man from earlier.

MARY: Whatever happened to that wonderful man who came in last week wearing that funny looking turtleneck, singing that dumb song, wearing that smelly aftershave lotion.  Whatever happened to him?

LOU: He was too beautiful to live.

-I love "The Square-Shaped Room" where Rhoda re-decorates Lou's living room and in one "burst," she reveals an all-white, highly modern, very sleek, yet blindingly white room that is NOT Lou's taste whatsoever.

-I also love the episode where Lou attends Edie's wedding and very sweetly wishes her the best of luck.  His sincerity and stoic behavior brings Mary to tears.  Ed Asner always had such wonderful, emotional moments on the series.  Even in a comedic series and even if the tender moment slowly fades out into a comedic moment, Lou Grant had some of the best moments on the series.  In one of the episodes from the final season, Mary reveals that she has become dependent on sleeping pills to battle her insomnia.  Concerned for Mary, Lou sits up with her the entire evening to help her fall asleep without resorting to the pills.   

• Like 1
10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love "The Square-Shaped Room" where Rhoda re-decorates Lou's living room and in one "burst," she reveals an all-white, highly modern, very sleek, yet blindingly white room that is NOT Lou's taste whatsoever.

That one was in the running for my list too. Funniest scene was Lou at first saying he loves it, then when Rhoda leaves the room he hates it.

The spinoff LOU GRANT, although ran for a few seasons during its original run, is seldom shown in reruns nowadays.

I never saw it but I heard it was more of a dramatic show. Too bad it's not in syndication these days, I would like to check it out and see how else it differs from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That one was in the running for my list too. Funniest scene was Lou at first saying he loves it, then when Rhoda leaves the room he hates it.

My favorite part is when he’s like “I’m squinting!” Because the bright white is so blinding. I also like his mini rant about Rhoda’s 5 poster. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

The spinoff LOU GRANT, although ran for a few seasons during its original run, is seldom shown in reruns nowadays.

I never saw it but I heard it was more of a dramatic show. Too bad it's not in syndication these days, I would like to check it out and see how else it differs from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Lou Grant when it first aired.   I enjoyed it- especially the interactions between the newspaper staff the process of investigating a story.   IMO the later seasons became a bit repetitive and "preachy" but the first season was pretty good.  

I think it's interesting that 1970s/1980s TV dramas don't seem to show up much on re-runs or streaming.  I guess they don't "age" as well as comedies or police procedurals (which seem to be more prevalent on streaming).      

I looked up Lou Grant and there is only one streaming service (VUDU) that has the first season.    I'm not familiar with VUDU so I don't know if there would be a charge or a bunch of commercials. 

I don't recall ever watching Lou Grant either.      ME-TV is have a MTM best-of-Lou programming in honor of Asner;  Maybe they will add the Entire Lou Grant show to their rotation.   I hope they do.

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't recall ever watching Lou Grant either.      ME-TV is have a MTM best-of-Lou programming in honor of Asner;  Maybe they will add the Entire Lou Grant show to their rotation.   I hope they do.

In that case, here's the very first episode of the Lou Grant series. Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Lou Grant doesn't work for a television  news department anymore, but a Los Angeles newspaper.    Asner is again surrounded by an excellent cast consisting of  Robert Walden, Linda Kelsey, Mason Adams and Nancy Marchand.  By the last season(if memory serves) the show had a recurrent character Lou befriends of an irascible old man played by veteran character actor Charles Lane. 

I never, to my recollection, missed an episode.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cinemartian said:

Man you aren't as much of a film guy as I thought initially

You're entitled to your opinion. So far, you haven't shown me much either. 

41 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

You're entitled to your opinion. So far, you haven't shown me much either. 

Welcome to this site.     Oh,  and most people around here are A-OK.   

Nice drawing of Cagney also.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Welcome to this site.     Oh,  and most people around here are A-OK.   

Nice drawing of Cagney also.

Thanks. I've been watching TCM since its inception, just never made enough time to visit the website and contribute. 

My Dad made that pencil drawing of Cagney about 90 years ago. He was another tough NYC/Bklyn street kid.

23 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

Thanks. I've been watching TCM since its inception, just never made enough time to visit the website and contribute. 

My Dad made that pencil drawing of Cagney about 90 years ago. He was another tough NYC/Bklyn street kid.

I wondered if the drawing was original since I had never seen it before;  very cool.      My avatar photo was selected because my hobbies are jazz guitar playing and  studio-era films.    So when I found this photo of Cagney,   it was the perfect fit for me.

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wondered if the drawing was original since I had never seen it before;  very cool.      My avatar photo was selected because my hobbies are jazz guitar playing and  studio-era films.    So when I found this photo of Cagney,   it was the perfect fit for me.

Not sure. Could have been an original drawn from a composite of photos that accentuated Cagney's mop of hair. He did several other drawings too. My Dad did some photography work during the Depression and always liked to doodle.

I like your avatar, it shows what a true renaissance man James Cagney really was. 

16 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

Not sure. Could have been an original drawn from a composite of photos that accentuated Cagney's mop of hair. He did several other drawings too. My Dad did some photography work during the Depression and always liked to doodle.

I like your avatar, it shows what a true renaissance man James Cagney really was. 

Oh,  I see what you mean by "original drawing";   the artwork is original in that it was made by your dad,  but he likely used photos to get the image.    I have three large "original" charcoal drawings of  Bette Davis,  Olivia DeHavilland and Carole Lombard.      A woman I worked with did such drawings,  mostly of people's kids (from photos).    I provided her one photo of each of these actresses and she made the drawing.       Below is the photo I provide of  Lombard.    This is hanging over my fireplace. 

Amazon.com: Carole Lombard Collezione (4 Dvd) by clark gable : Movies & TV

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh,  I see what you mean by "original drawing";   the artwork is original in that it was made by your dad,  but he likely used photos to get the image.    I have three large "original" charcoal drawings of  Bette Davis,  Olivia DeHavilland and Carole Lombard.      A woman I worked with did such drawings,  mostly of people's kids (from photos).    I provided her one photo of each of these actresses and she made the drawing.       Below is the photo I provide of  Lombard.    This is hanging over my fireplace. 

Amazon.com: Carole Lombard Collezione (4 Dvd) by clark gable : Movies & TV

That sounds about right. Its a sure thing, my Dad never got Cagney to sit for a sketch session. LOL Seriously, my guess is my Dad used photos and his imagination to complete the drawing, along with the several other sketches he did. Its still, as you said, very cool.

Davis and DeHavilland are two of my top five favorite actresses. Good stuff. Sadly, Carole Lombard was a life unfinished.

1 hour ago, jvirt53 said:

That sounds about right. Its a sure thing, my Dad never got Cagney to sit for a sketch session. LOL Seriously, my guess is my Dad used photos and his imagination to complete the drawing, along with the several other sketches he did. Its still, as you said, very cool.

Davis and DeHavilland are two of my top five favorite actresses. Good stuff. Sadly, Carole Lombard was a life unfinished.

Here is my top five favorite actresses:  Davis,  Stanwyck,  DeHavilland,   Jean Arthur,  and Lombard.      

19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is my top five favorite actresses:  Davis,  Stanwyck,  DeHavilland,   Jean Arthur,  and Lombard.      

Okay. Let me fill in my top 5: Stanwyck, Davis, Bergman, DeHavilland and Arthur.  Jean Arthur is crazy good.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jvirt53 said:

I'm A-OK - a lot of these naysayers don't respect alternate political views - I'm from Brooklyn originally myself - I too play a guitar(a gretsch hollow body) though it doesn't make me special -