Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bradford Dillman and Suzy Parker

I wanted to start a new topic discussion. I read the fans comments on my last thread and really appreciate your kind words. I hope to one day be a guest programmer. My dad was a great story teller and told us many. He also kept journals of his work. I guess to say his favorite film was the one he made in 1960 where he met my mom. The film was "Circle of Deception." The Way We Were was popular. He played JJ. My dads banter with Robert Redford was not scripted it was all improvised. A story about my mom, she said Fred Astaire had a crush on her- they made "Funny Face." "Compulsion" was based on a real crime story. Dolores Hart after making the film St. Francis of Assisi, became a Mother Superior.  Any films of my parents a favorite of yours? 

circle.jpg

• Like 4

Since you're new on the boards (welcome :)) this is a movie related topic which belongs in the General Discussions forum.  This is Off Topic Chit Chat for non movie related material i.e. politics, religion, etc.

(certain it will be relocated there by the mods)

My favor Dillman films would be Compulsion,  Francis of Assisi,  and Circle of Deception,  which also featured Suzy Parker.

I remember Parker in  Kiss Them for Me,  The Best of Everything, and The Interns.

Of course I enjoyed the many fine Dillman T.V. performances.     He was great playing the slick and charming cad.         

Dear Dinah:   Did you really get bit by a rattlesnake and that is why your parents moved from L.A.  to Santa Barbara?   

• Like 1

I thought your Mom was not only beautiful and classy in it but also gave a most convincing performance in Ten North Frederick as part of a May-December affair with Gary Cooper. She had great chemistry with the actor. I assume this may have been one of her favourite roles since she received good reviews for her work here working with a movie legend.

Ten North Frederick (1958) - IMDb

• Like 6

Well BOGIE.....

General discussions is where I first noticed this thread.  Anyway.....

Nothing personal DINA,  But I did think your parents were very good at their craft.  But the only problem I had in watching anything with your Dad was he resembled a guy I knew in high school who was a bitter enemy that relentlessly made my life miserable.  With that in mind, it often made me feel sorry for your Father having that resemblance.  ;) 

Sepiatone

24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well BOGIE.....

General discussions is where I first noticed this thread.  Anyway.....

Nothing personal DINA,  But I did think your parents were very good at their craft.  But the only problem I had in watching anything with your Dad was he resembled a guy I knew in high school who was a bitter enemy that relentlessly made my life miserable.  With that in mind, it often made me feel sorry for your Father having that resemblance.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Funny, but in a similar fashion to this Sepia, there was a gal I knew in high school who looked a lot like and was almost as strikingly beautiful as Dina's mother, and who made MY life miserable at the time.

(...but only because she never would even give me the time of day) ;)

• Haha 1

I've always loved Suzy Parker.  I wish she had done more films.  I guess my favorite is Ten North Frederick.  She does an amazing job and I swear, it's the only time Gary Cooper seemed even remotely human in a film.  They had great chemistry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

I've always loved Suzy Parker.  I wish she done more films.  I guess my favorite is Ten North Frederick.  She does an amazing job and I swear, it's the only time Gary Cooper seemed even remotely human in a film.  They had great chemistry.

I Will Politely and Amicably Disagree With You There, on One Specific Lynchpin Point. Imo Cooper (Also) Does A Phenominal/Exceptional Job In Sergeant York and Friendly Persuasion. But One: To Each Ones Own. And Two: i Dont Say That to be a Toad.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, Dinah Dillman Kaufman said:

I wanted to start a new topic discussion. I read the fans comments on my last thread and really appreciate your kind words. I hope to one day be a guest programmer. My dad was a great story teller and told us many. He also kept journals of his work. I guess to say his favorite film was the one he made in 1960 where he met my mom. The film was "Circle of Deception." The Way We Were was popular. He played JJ. My dads banter with Robert Redford was not scripted it was all improvised. A story about my mom, she said Fred Astaire had a crush on her- they made "Funny Face." "Compulsion" was based on a real crime story. Dolores Hart after making the film St. Francis of Assisi, became a Mother Superior.  Any films of my parents a favorite of yours? 

circle.jpg

Greetings.

I Have Two Principle Features From Your Mum and Pops (that) im Inclined Toward: Circle of Deception and Flight From Ashiya. 

• Like 1

Dinah,

I replied on your previous thread. I am glad to see more conversation occurring on this thread.

I hope you share tidbits from your dad's journaling.

I watched him not long ago in an episode of The Streets of San Francisco where he played a crooked businessman married to Marj Dusay. It originally aired in October 1975. 

F619EC22-7034-47AF-9120-E2119E3C1550_1_201_a

He also appeared in an episode of Barnaby Jones from March 1975, again with Marj Dusay, where they were lovers trying to bilk women at an investment center. 

Later he and Marj costarred on a two-part episode of Barnaby Jones in 1978. So that is four episodes in which they appeared together for Quinn Martin Productions.

I am wondering if they had the same agent or if Marj was a good friend of your parents and that is why she worked frequently with your dad. Did he write about working with Marj in his journal?

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 1.15.17 PM

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 1.15.23 PM

• Like 1

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING is one of my all-time favorite films, and I love Suzy Parker's performance as the glamorous Gregg Adams.  She does a terrific job with her very compelling character -- a blithe spirit with unexpected vulnerability -- perfectly portraying Gregg's emotional journey.  I love the way she makes her entrance in the film, incognito in a scarf and sunglasses, in the coffee shop in the office building, hiding out from Amanda Farrow.  And, because I tend to focus on the tiniest details, I eagerly anticipate the scene in which she eats a Danish while sitting at her typewriter.   (The morning after each screening, I treat myself to a similar pastry.)  And whenever one of her television episodes pops up, I always stop to watch because she's always worth watching.

Bradford Dillman?  A very handsome presence in so many TV series, and one of those actors who, like Suzy Parker, is always fun to see and whose presence in a TV episode makes that episode worth watching.  Big fan of THE WAY WE WERE, MEPHISTO WALTZ, ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES (easily the best of the four sequels), FRANCIS OF ASSISI, and a very memorable segment of NIGHT GALLERY.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings