Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know it's not a great movie, but I'd really like to see "The Eddy Duchin Story" on TCM.   I remember seeing it many years ago and really enjoyed Carmen Cavallaro's piano playing.  I know that TCM has the movie in its "vault" since it aired several years ago, but wondered if it was ever going to be shown again.   I can't find future schedules on the TCM website, and hopefully it's in your plans.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Dave Beechuk said:

I know it's not a great movie, but I'd really like to see "The Eddy Duchin Story" on TCM.   I remember seeing it many years ago and really enjoyed Carmen Cavallaro's piano playing.  I know that TCM has the movie in its "vault" since it aired several years ago, but wondered if it was ever going to be shown again.   I can't find future schedules on the TCM website, and hopefully it's in your plans.

I'm a fan of The Eddy Duchin Story.     As a musician I really love the scene where the children play along with the Duchin band.

Since this is a Columbia film  I doubt TCM has it in their "vault":  the original Ted Turner Library of films which are mostly associated with the studios Warner Bros., MGM and RKO.

I.e.  it is more likely TCM leased the film as part of a limit lease package of Columbia films.      I believe the last showing was part of  Kim Novak theme programming.

Either way hopefully TCM shows the film soon.    The cast is first rate and one of the few films with Victoria Shaw.

29 Eddy Duchin Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I Love The Eddy Duchin Story, thought Tyrone gave such a good performance. He was so convincing playing the piano, ( of course he didn'treally  play)  I read he practiced for months and that showed. I thought Rex Thompson as Peter Duchin,  gave an excellent perforance. He was also so good in All Mine To Give .Loved the music, especially loved the NY location shots. such an enjoyable film and I wish TCM would show it again, it's been awhile.

• Like 3

Strange but I was @ to post on TEDS. It’s forever tied in my memory with a childhood trip to NYC for the first time. Right after, my mom took me to see this great movie. Tyrone so dark and Kim so blonde made a beautiful team along w scenes from Central Park. Besides that Tyrone is remarkable in his piano fingering skills going above and beyond in this part. His touching scenes w his neglected son as well as that sweet child during the war again shows his acting skills.  It still is one of my favorite Power performances

• Like 2

My comments about The Eddy Duchin Story would largely echo those already stated on this thread.

It's an old fashioned, sentimental biography, a bit soapy, with wonderful on location shooting in NYC (early scenes in Central Park are almost a romantic valentine to the city), and a sensitive, dedicated performance by Tyrone Power. His piano fingerings to Carmen Cavellero's playing are most impressive (Chopin's Nocturne in E Flat is particularly well used throughout the film, including its classic tear jerker finale). Power had known the real Duchin, the pianist having performed at some of the actor's home parties.

Ty Power got along very well with his co-stars throughout his career. For some reason, though, Kim Novak was one of the few that he did not like working with but I've never been able to find out why.

I have to chuckle at the vagueness of Kim Novak's Marjorie Oelrich's physical (or is it mental?) frailties in the film. We see that she has a terrible inexplicable fear of the wind, which is never explained but used as a dramatic foreshadowing of doom. I have to say that really looks like fanciful Hollywood screenwriter stuff to me.

Speaking of which, Peter Duchin, the pianist's son whose character plays a prominent role in the film, was very critical of The Eddy Duchin Story upon its release, saying there was far too much fiction in it. When some albums were released based on the film's soundtrack the pianists involved, according to Wiki, emulated Cavallero's piano stylings in the film, as opposed to what Duchin's would have sounded like. Therefore, I have to ask, if that is the case, how much that we hear in the film actually sounds like Duchin as opposed to pure Cavallero? Perhaps this is one of the grievances that Peter Duchin had with the film, as well.

This would not be the first time that something of this nature happened in a film about a real life musician. Young Man With A Horn is based on the tragic life of Bix Beiderbecke, but it's Harry James that we hear play in the film and James' horn sounds nothing like Beiderbecke's.

By the way, am I alone in thinking that the classy Victoria Shaw (an Australian, interestingly, because there's so indication of an Aussie accent) sounds remarkably like Audrey Hepburn in this film?

These are pictures of the real Duchin and first wife Marjorie Oelrichs, mother of Peter.

Eddy Duchin in a 1942 advertisementMarjorie Oelrichs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judging by those photos, a better pick to play Duchin( if some or slight resemblance is ever a consideration in biopics, which rarely is ever the case) then either a hair dyed KIRK DOUGLAS or  a well groomed JACK PALANCE might have fit the bill.  And the other photo (Oelrichs)  seems more PATRICIA NEAL to me.  But Patricia would really have to have been "uglied up" for the part.

I always liked the movie too.  And learned that son PETER DUCHIN became a big draw at Hollywood parties  over the years.

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Judging by those photos, a better pick to play Duchin( if some or slight resemblance is ever a consideration in biopics, which rarely is ever the case) then either a hair dyed KIRK DOUGLAS or  a well groomed JACK PALANCE might have fit the bill.  And the other photo (Oelrichs)  seems more PATRICIA NEAL to me.  But Patricia would really have to have been "uglied up" for the part.

I always liked the movie too.  And learned that son PETER DUCHIN became a big draw at Hollywood parties  over the years.

Sepiatone

Jack Palance would have matched the actual looks of Duchin better than Power but then the producers would have had to cast someone other than Kim Novak to avoid the "no way a gal that looks like this would be with some guy that looks like that!".

PS:  The point being that casting is done to fill the seats and not to be representative of the actual characters.    E.g.  look at the posters for the film.  Clearly they were designed to highlight this beautiful couple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Eddy Duchin Story was one of the sleeper box office hits of 1956. Based upon the poster below Columbia  was placing an emphasis upon the romantic aspects of its story in order to sell the film. Kim Novak, a Columbia contract player, got a big push in the advertising. Victoria Shaw, on the other hand, who was in probably in the film about as much as Kim, barely got a mention. Not a surprise, really, since Shaw was not a budding star like Kim. Nor was she, to the best of my knowledge, under contract to the studio.

colorhollywood | Kim novak, Tyrone, Tyrone power

10 Eddy Duchin Story ideas | tyrone power, kim novak, tyrone

Eddy Duchin Story | Etsy

• Like 3

A 1946 photo of Duchin sitting with Marlene Dietrich. I suspect her position here may have interfered with his playing, at least on certain notes. Funny the way life can move in circles. A little more than a decade later Dietrich would be in the final film of the actor who would have played Duchin in an earlier film.

Marlene Dietrich - Episodic : News Photo

In reply to Tom, Tyrone didn’t care for the fact that Kim often showed up late and unprepared for her role. As a result, the workers had to stay late to accommodate her. He considered that rude and unprofessional.  He was a very disciplined professional who prided himself on arriving on time and ready. As a result, she upset him that way. He was unaware that she was bipolar and had difficulty sleeping however. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Judith laucka said:

In reply to Tom, Tyrone didn’t care for the fact that Kim often showed up late and unprepared for her role. As a result, the workers had to stay late to accommodate her. He considered that rude and unprofessional.  He was a very disciplined professional who prided himself on arriving on time and ready. As a result, she upset him that way. He was unaware that she was bipolar and had difficulty sleeping however. 

At least Power never had to do a film with Monroe.     

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

... The point being that casting is done to fill the seats and not to be representative of the actual characters.    E.g.  look at the posters for the film.  Clearly they were designed to highlight this beautiful couple.

Far from the first time that a bio-pic was cast for good looks rather than resemblance to the subject.  In YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, not only did the trumpet performance not resemble Bix Beiderbecke’s playing, as has already been noted, but the real Bix looked nothing like Kirk Douglas.  And someone once pointed out to Cole Porter that Fred Astaire actually looked like him and would have been appropriate to portray Porter in NIGHT AND DAY.  If I remember correctly, Porter replied something like, “Yes, but would you turn down Cary Grant?”

On the other hand, Kirk Douglas bore a very close resemblance to Vincent Van Gogh, whom he portrayed in LUST FOR LIFE.  There’s a contemporaneous promotional film in which Douglas talks with an elderly French woman who remembered the real Van Gogh, and she tells Douglas how much he looked like the artist.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Far from the first time that a bio-pic was cast for good looks rather than resemblance to the subject.  In YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, not only did the trumpet performance not resemble Bix Beiderbecke’s playing, as has already been noted, but the real Bix looked nothing like Kirk Douglas.  And someone once pointed out to Cole Porter that Fred Astaire actually looked like him and would have been appropriate to portray Porter in NIGHT AND DAY.  If I remember correctly, Porter replied something like, “Yes, but would you turn down Cary Grant?”

On the other hand, Kirk Douglas bore a very close resemblance to Vincent Van Gogh, whom he portrayed in LUST FOR LIFE.  There’s a contemporaneous promotional film in which Douglas talks with an elderly French woman who remembered the real Van Gogh, and she tells Douglas how much he looked like the artist.

You're right about the casting of Douglas in YMWAH.   But don't tell Bacall about that:  she still wonders why they cast her as a Lesbian.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You're right about the casting of Douglas in YMWAH.   But don't tell Bacall about that:  she still wonders why they cast her as a Lesbian.   

Bacall was still in her twenties when that movie was made, and in that more “innocent” time, it seems plausible that she wouldn’t have understood the full ramifications of her character.  But it was still a bit surprising that she told Robert Osborne, apparently with complete sincerity, that she didn’t understand that she was playing a Lesbian.

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

At least Power never had to do a film with Monroe.     

Strange but they actually tried to pair him w Monroe in a weird movie entitled Queen of the Nile. Was blonde Monroe supposed to play an Egyptian? He dodged a bullet on that one. Yes, if he had problems with Novak, can you imagine working w Marilyn? 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Judith laucka said:

Strange but they actually tried to pair him w Monroe in a weird movie entitled Queen of the Nile. Was blonde Monroe supposed to play an Egyptian? He dodged a bullet on that one. Yes, if he had problems with Novak, can you imagine working w Marilyn? 

Too bad Monroe didn't beat Liz Taylor to it. This is EXACTLY the way I have always envisioned Cleopatra.

Melody & Cleopatra | Richard avedon, Marilyn monroe photos, Marilyn monroe

Roberto Reitenbach on Twitter: "Marilyn Monroe as Theda Bara in Cleopatra,  by Richard Avedon, 1958… "