Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Mellencamp Documentary on TCM YT channel and Guest Programmer soon

We had recently seen his voiceover for TCM's monthtly theme about movies set in small towns since, you know, he was the guy who sang the song .... well, you know. I'm excited to hear about this and will be interested to see what his film selections are.

• Like 2

I only caught that “Small Towns” promo once - I think it was before Picnic - but it was nice to see a new featurette and I thought it was well done.

I wish they’d include showtimes for these on the schedule. I remember for the “Out of this World” theme (I think that was the title), they had short and extended versions of the mini-special and I only got to see the extended one a couple times. I did record it though (and got the Durand Jones album that featured the song they played in that month’s promo).

Never have checked out TCM’s YouTube channel.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that Durand Jones & the Indications apparently got their start in Bloomington, Indiana - where John Mellencamp lives, at least part-time. I just like it when things sync up like that.

I also get a kick out of this: 

On the schedule that came out today, 'MELLENCAMP' is the primetime theme for September 17th and 24th.

The films are (ET):

17th -

08:00 PM   Tortilla Flat (1942)
    10:00 PM   Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    12:15 AM   Misfits, The (1961)

24th -

08:00 PM   Fugitive Kind, The (1960)
    10:15 PM   On the Waterfront (1954)
    12:15 AM   East of Eden (1955)

He's on TWICE??? 5 of the 6 are films TCM shows almost monthly. No thanks. I might watch The Fugitive Kind as that doesn't pop up so much. Not really interested in why he chose them though. Guest Programmer concept is tired and like The Essentials should be retired......

19 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

On the schedule that came out today, 'MELLENCAMP' is the primetime theme for September 17th and 24th.

The films are (ET):

17th -

08:00 PM   Tortilla Flat (1942)
    10:00 PM   Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    12:15 AM   Misfits, The (1961)

24th -

08:00 PM   Fugitive Kind, The (1960)
    10:15 PM   On the Waterfront (1954)
    12:15 AM   East of Eden (1955)

Interesting choices, I would have expected him to pick The Grapes Of Wrath (1940) and Our Town (1940) , I knew he would choose a James Dean movie since he mentions him in his "Jack And Diane" song.

• 2 weeks later...

Except for The Fugitive Kind which I haven't seen for a few years, his selections have been predictable films that TCM shows regularly. 

I'm no art critic, but his paintings didn't wow me.  What did was hearing about his plans to remake The Misfits with himself as director.  Reminded me of Madonna trying to sell a remake of Casablanca with Ashton Kutcher and getting laughed out of studios.

• Haha 2

Missed him as guest programmer, but will try to catch THE FUGITIVE KIND tomorrow.  Also haven't seen it in years.  Never much into Mellencamp  and his music anyway.  Not even back when his name was Cougar. :rolleyes:  Only ONE LINE in ONE SONG ever impressed me(and the truth in it) from "Jack and Diane" :  "Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone."

Sepiatone

• Like 1

His intros may not have been riveting TV, but Mellencamp is a cool guy. May I tell a story?

80's-90's New York City. Used to pass by Carnegie Hall every night on my way home from work. One night ,at appx 1100PM this was 1992 or so, as I pass by Carnegie I see a guy camped out in the entrance, which was unusual. Heavy-set white guy, "country" or rural attire. Definitely not from NYC. I asked the guy who he was camping out for, he says, John Cougar Mellencamp.  I looked at the posters for upcoming concerts, I see no John Cougar Mellencamp. BTW rock or pop music concerts at Carnegie Hall are/were quite rare. The camper then informed me that Mellencamp was doing a free, unadvertised concert at Carnegie Hall the next night, and he came in from Indiana to camp out for tickets. I thought, Mellencamp concert at Carnegie Hall, that's different! I wished the guy a safe night, but I thought he might be wacky. When I got home, I flicked on the radio, and the DJ's were talking about this concert. So I thought, this could be cool!  I packed some necessities and headed back to Carnegie. Got there at appx. 1200AM and sat in the entrance, I was about 20th in line at this point. Throughout the morning, word of this event had apparently spread and thousands of people came to line up. When the ticket office opened at 9 AM or so, I got my 4 freebies and headed home. As I turned down 7th Ave, I saw a line of people stretching down 7th Ave, curling down 56th St, and then to who knows where. I believe Carnegie Hall holds about 3000 people, it is a not a small house.

The concert? Awesome! Mr. Mellencamp explained that it was free because he wanted to try out songs for his next album in front of an audience. The last set was the familiar songs, Jack & Diane, etc. Before the last set, Mellencamp asked "Who was first in line for tickets?"  The big country looking guy that I had spoken to the night before raised his hand. Mellencamp said "Get on up here!" Big Country and John Mellencamp then dueted on R-O-C-K IN THE USA, and a few other songs. Big Country could not sing well but it was great! When the concert ended, Mellencamp and all of the band members came to stage front and kneeled and squatted to shake hands and chat with attendees. It was quite a nice experience. I've never seen a performer connect so closely with fans. So I am a fan, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Except for The Fugitive Kind which I haven't seen for a few years, his selections have been predictable films that TCM shows regularly. 

I'm no art critic, but his paintings didn't wow me.  What did was hearing about his plans to remake The Misfits with himself as director.  Reminded me of Madonna trying to sell a remake of Casablanca with Ashton Kutcher and getting laughed out of studios.

Good luck on that one!