Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Warnings, Please, Mr. Karger!"

Mr. Karger, it is not necessary to "warn" us about "characters in Black faces," as during your intro to "Yankee Doodle Dandy."   We're, generally, a mature-adult, well-adapted viewing audience who grew up watching classic films. Personally, I have never found it "uncomfortable" or offensive to watch characters in Black faces, nor has any member of our local classic film club.  Watching classic movies is, purely, entertainment.  So, please, Mr. Karger, [we] hope you DO NOT make it a regular practice of lecturing us regarding social, racial or moral issues, again.  Next, you'll be "warning" us about LGBT, ethnic cartoon characters, Charlie Chan, Benito Juarez (characters portrait by non-ethnic actors), etc.  We are not adolescents, Mr. Karger, and you are not old enough to lecture us.  We are fully capable of, consciously, acknowledging [for ourselves] "where we've been and how far we've come."  Don't spoil it for us!  Mr. Karger, you are wrong.  It is NOT uncomfortable to watch "characters in Black faces", but it is uncomfortable to hear you lecture us on morality.  Should TCM hosts not refrain from lecturing us about racial depictions and such, I will not hesitate to stop watching the channel, permanently.  That's why Robert Osborne was such a great host--- He never made his audience feel uncomfortable.   No more warnings, please!

Ed, 25-Year TCM Fan. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Ed in Orange said:

It is NOT uncomfortable to watch "characters in Black faces",

It isn't?!!? It's been uncomfortable as heck for me for years, ever since I was a child, long before there was a TCM. I can remember thinking  way back in TCM's early years,  "Wow, I can't believe they just air these movies without saying anything about the blackface at all."

• Like 3

That seems to be the new "in-thing" to do by TCM hosts -- whether it is they who are writing their opening 'intros' or someone else who hands it to them to read on-camera.  

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!  😜

• Haha 1

It's not new, though certainly more prevalent. I can recall Robert Osborne starting to do it occasionally maybe 15 years ago,  The first time I saw him do it, I was like, "Oh,, my God, FINALLY!" But more often, they would shift these movies to late night slots where nobody had to talk about it at all

• Like 1

I think TCM ought to show the 1977 race-baiter FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE.  I've never seen it, but from reading about the movie it looks like an overall barrel of mean-ness.  I'd give it one watch.  Actor ROBERT JUDD plays a character named 'Ted Turner'.  

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It isn't?!!? It's been uncomfortable as heck for me for years, ever since I was a child, long before there was a TCM. I can remember thinking  way back in TCM's early years,  "Wow, I can't believe they just air these movies without saying anything about the blackface at all."

I like "blackface". I think it looks cool.

I like "whiteface" too. I think it looks scary - which is also cool.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Ed in Orange said:

Mr. Karger, it is not necessary to "warn" us about "characters in Black faces," as during your intro to "Yankee Doodle Dandy."   We're, generally, a mature-adult, well-adapted viewing audience who grew up watching classic films. Personally, I have never found it "uncomfortable" or offensive to watch characters in Black faces, nor has any member of our local classic film club.  Watching classic movies is, purely, entertainment.  So, please, Mr. Karger, [we] hope you DO NOT make it a regular practice of lecturing us regarding social, racial or moral issues, again.  Next, you'll be "warning" us about LGBT, ethnic cartoon characters, Charlie Chan, Benito Juarez (characters portrait by non-ethnic actors), etc.  We are not adolescents, Mr. Karger, and you are not old enough to lecture us.  We are fully capable of, consciously, acknowledging [for ourselves] "where we've been and how far we've come."  Don't spoil it for us!  Mr. Karger, you are wrong.  It is NOT uncomfortable to watch "characters in Black faces", but it is uncomfortable to hear you lecture us on morality.  Should TCM hosts not refrain from lecturing us about racial depictions and such, I will not hesitate to stop watching the channel, permanently.  That's why Robert Osborne was such a great host--- He never made his audience feel uncomfortable.   No more warnings, please!

Ed, 25-Year TCM Fan. 

You use the term "we" but you are only one person.    You were not elected to represent some "we" group,  right?

While I don't need these so called  warning they don't make me feel "uncomfortable".    Thus I just ignore them.

Oh,  and to practice cancel culture by boycotting TCM is ironic.      I believe it is foolish as well (since I go to TCM for the films and not the host talk),  but to each his own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Ed in Orange said:

I will not hesitate to stop watching the channel, permanently.

This seems like an unnecessary response, unless you're a fan of cutting off your nose to spite your face. No one will notice if you stop watching, in any case--it will not make a "statement" that anyone would hear.

The more obvious solution would be to either begin watching only a few minutes after the listed start time, or (if you have any concern about possibly missing the beginning of the film itself), simply mute the TV during the intros.  I assume that, like most viewers, you don't always listen to those anyway.

Of course, if you're recording a film and watching it later, just fast forward through the intro.

Whenever I visit a museum exhibit, I always appreciate whatever explanatory notes happen to be posted on the wall, giving historical context to the artworks in question.  Of course, I'm always free to either read or ignore those if I'm not interested or don't want to take the time. By comparison, the potentially annoying thing about any TCM intros you don't like is that (at least if you're watching "live") they do take time.  So just employ one of the strategies listed above.

Also, keep in mind that TCM is in a no-win situation here. If they say nothing, by continuing to show these films they are seen as giving tacit approval to the notion that blackface is still an acceptable form of entertainment. The cynical view is that they are simply "covering their a**" by mentioning the problem at all. But by taking the extra step of acknowledging the problematic aspects of these films, they're presumably also attempting to forestall any future efforts at censoring them--an outcome I doubt many TCM viewers would welcome.  

Finally, I would add that expecting any channel to conform to your exact specifications and preferences 24 hours a day, especially one that is commercial-free, is simply not realistic.  These historical framing devices are aimed primarily at viewers who might lack the breadth of viewing experience you apparently have.  Overall, your post has the tone (and effect) of someone asking those whippersnappers to get off his damn lawn.

Except it's not (only) your lawn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You use the term "we" but you are only one person.    You were not elected to represent some "we" group,  right?

As a member of the TCM audience, it is completely appropriate to use the term "we" and/or "us" when discussing what a TCM host says to that audience.

If Ed in Orange was the only person in the world who watches TCM, you might have a point. As it stands, you're just being snarky toward him because he said something you don't like..

• Thanks 1

THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975) did indeed feature William Shatner prominently.  Had a good cast with Ernest Borgnine, Tom Skerritt, Eddie Albert, Joan Prather, Keenan Wynn and even John Travolta in a small part. 

In regards to Tom Skerritt he played a devil worshipper on a Tv episode of KOLCHAK:  THE NIGHT STALKER around the same time he did this movie -- except here he is battling the devil worshipers instead of being one of them.  Makes an interesting juxtaposition.  I saw the ep. of "The Night Stalker" just a month ago with Skerritt being a power-hungry politico who made a deal with Lucifer! 

23 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

As a member of the TCM audience, it is completely appropriate to use the term "we" and/or "us" when discussing what a TCM host says to that audience.

If Ed in Orange was the only person in the world who watches TCM, you might have a point. As it stands, you're just being snarky toward him because he said something you don't like..

We don't agree with you.

• Haha 4
34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

We don't agree with you.

Funny. There's a character on Emmerdale who always says "we" in place of "I."

Example: We are calling our mum about this.

She has a Scottish accent, so it's even more memorable when she delivers her dialogue. At first I thought maybe this was how people from Scotland talk, but I think it's just the writers having fun with the character and making her idiosyncratic and different from the rest of the Emmerdale villagers.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Funny. There's a character on Emmerdale who always says "we" in place of "I."

Example: We are calling our mum about this.

She has a Scottish accent, so it's even more memorable when she delivers her dialogue. At first I thought maybe this was how people from Scotland talk, but I think it's just the writers having fun with the character and making her idiosyncratic and different from the rest of the Emmerdale villagers.

Of course my reply was a wisecrack but one that has relevance IMO;   "we" is often used to try to convey the feelings or opinions of one-person reflect the feelings\opinions of a wider group thus adding creed to the statements. 

Sometimes the use of "we" can be representiave,   but often they are not.    I.e.   the "I" doesn't have data about how others really feel\think,   they just assume they feel\think like themselves.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Of course my reply was a wisecrack but one that has relevance IMO;   "we" is often used to try to convey the feelings or opinions of one-person reflect the feelings\opinions of a wider group thus adding creed to the statements. 

There was certainly no credence in your criticism of Ed in Orange's use of the word "we". Just made-up bull**** .

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sometimes the use of "we" can be representiave,   but often they are not.    I.e.   the "I" doesn't have data about how others really feel\think,   they just assume they feel\think like themselves.

I agree...we (you and I) both know the original poster is acting like a self-appointed spokesperson of offended right wingers everywhere. These people used to be called the Christian Right but since Trump they very seldom put Christ at the center of what they say and do. My honest opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

Cultural changes are occurring swiftly enough for me to witness them in real time, something I never would have thought I'd witness. 

I'm  in the baby boom generation. All I've seen is non-stop cultural changes.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

since Trump they very seldom put Christ at the center of what they say and do

I'm not sure I agree with everything you write, but damned straight, Pvt Bone Spurs IS the anti-Christ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1