Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abbot and Costello films

Recently during a screening of A and C Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I was surprised to hear Ben Mankiewicz say that 1939 Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes were Universal pictures. I believe the were Fox. Same night he said that Jekyll and Hyde were Universal pics. If he was referring to the March or Tracey versions,  I think both were Paramount. Universal were the undisputed king of horror but not the only ones.

31 minutes ago, Mike Kobe said:

Recently during a screening of A and C Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I was surprised to hear Ben Mankiewicz say that 1939 Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes were Universal pictures. I believe the were Fox. Same night he said that Jekyll and Hyde were Universal pics. If he was referring to the March or Tracey versions,  I think both were Paramount. Universal were the undisputed king of horror but not the only ones.

The film and their studios you mention are all the correct ones expect the Spencer Tracy Jekyll and Hyde 1941 film was MGM (Tracy and Turner being under contract with MGM).

If Ben did say that these films were Universal he was really mistaken.     Hopefully he wasn't that sloppy.

42 minutes ago, Mike Kobe said:

A&C Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and almost all of A&C's movies, were indeed made at Universal Pictures, as they were under contract to that studio.

The first two Sherlock Holmes films and which you mentioned and that starred Basil Rathbone were indeed 20th Century Fox films, but a few years later when Rathbone starred in that series of B-pictures as the great British detective, those were made at Universal as well.

The 1931 Fredric March version of DJAMH was a Paramount Pictures production, but the 1941 version of it starring Spencer Tracy was made at MGM.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

The 1931 Fredric March version of DJAMH was a Paramount Pictures production, but the 1941 version of it starring Spencer Tracy was made at MGM.

And ain't it far superior?  The only thing worth watching in the 1941 is INGRID BERGMAN!   When that TRACY vehicle was released in 1941, MGM bought up all the Paramount Academy Award winning FREDRIC MARCH prints... Couldn't see it for years which is legendary for Monster Kids. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

And ain't it far superior?  The only thing worth watching in the 1941 is INGRID BERGMAN!   When that TRACY vehicle was released in 1941, MGM bought up all the Paramount Academy Award winning FREDRIC MARCH prints... Couldn't see it for years which is legendary for Monster Kids. 

I personally prefer the Tracy/Bergman version myself. 

Tracy's Hyde looks like someone you would meet in a dark alley at the wrong place at the wrong time. March's Hyde resembles a half-crazed monkey walking like a man. Though in all fairness his Hyde probably does bear a much more closer resemblance to the Hyde that Robert Louis Stevenson created in his story.

41 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Tracy's Hyde looks like someone you would meet in a dark alley

Don't gimme material to work with...!  I like that film, but I don't think it's very good.  Personally, SPENCER TRACY's Hyde exemplifies ham to me.  LANA TURNER is all melodrama. 

INGRID BERGMAN is... stunning! 

• Like 1