Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The New INTRO Format - A Thumbnail Critique

Just watched Ben's first intro in the new format.  It's pretty good I have to say. The format borrows extensively from what Eddie Muller has been doing for several years now. (Which I have always enjoyed.)

It is better than staring at the host for three minutes because it's visually more informative with photos and film clips.

The set is bright and airy. Not my taste but it looks like they spent a few bucks on it. Ben was sans tie which fits his personality. I imagine he must be relieved of that.

So, yeah, there I said it, Kudos TCM!

------------------------------------------

Update: Looks like the first night was the only night so far for the added visuals. Thus far it's just been Ben and the rolling camera. I looked up quickly and got a little nauseous!  LOL!  Not because of Ben but the rolling camera.

The visuals were a welcome addition but I fear if all we're going to get is that rolling camera every night, then for me VERTIGO will always be on the schedule!

------------------------------------------

Second UPDATE:  No new sets for Dave Karger? At least it doesn't look that way. A piece of new furniture perhaps?  He did get a new Logo Mug for his table. If this is the case then all of this is really much ado about nothing.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Just watched Ben's first intro in the new format.  It's pretty good I have to say. The format borrows extensively from what Eddie Muller has been doing for several years now. (Which I have always enjoyed.)

It is better than staring at the host for three minutes because it's visually more informative with photos and film clips.

The set is bright and airy. Not my taste but it looks like they spent a few bucks on it. Ben was sans tie which fits his personality. I imagine he must be relieved of that.

Nice to read a positive comment for a change!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Thank you Yancey.  I caught the first film of the evening (The Barkleys of Broadway) after it already started, so I haven't yet seen Ben on his new set; but I did see a photo of it and I liked it.  It had a nice, clean contemporary look.  Of course, over on Twitter, people are complaining about his set; but people were complaining about his previous set.  Frankly, I'm tired of the constant whining, TCM is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I really like the new look.  It has a clean, fun, retro, yet modern vibe that I think jives well with TCM's mission to keep Classic Hollywood alive by introducing modern audiences.  TCM cannot survive if they only cater to one demographic.  More and more younger audiences are discovering (and devouring) TCM and classic film every day.  One GOOD thing about social media is that it provides an outlet for people to connect and sometimes even bond over their love of classic film.  Classic movies are such a niche interest and whatever TCM can do to make them more mainstream (which in turn, provides more opportunities for access to perhaps more obscure films), is A-ok in my book. 

...As long as they stay commercial free.

• Like 5

Okay, so now that I'm watching my boy Flynn in They Died With Their Boots On, and I got to see Ben in his new set.  I could have done without the cameraman panning around while Ben spoke, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to show off the set.  I liked the "Next, Then, Later," screen.  It had a nice, clean look.  I loved the screen with the "Sunday in New York" trailer.  I loved how colorful it looked and I liked the design on the side.  I think TCM's new aesthetic looks great and now I get to see my man, Flynn!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Okay, so now that I'm watching my boy Flynn in They Died With Their Boots On, and I got to see Ben in his new set.  I could have done without the cameraman panning around while Ben spoke, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to show off the set.  I liked the "Next, Then, Later," screen.  It had a nice, clean look.  I loved the screen with the "Sunday in New York" trailer.  I loved how colorful it looked and I liked the design on the side.  I think TCM's new aesthetic looks great and now I get to see my man, Flynn!

I agree, but what are the books on the shelf behind him? 

Btw, I just googled Lt. Gen. Winfield Scott, and he does look like Sydney Greenstreet! Good casting.

Grant_Scott_canonical.jpg

• Like 1

I also like, and as Yancey here mentioned in his OP, that Ben's (and I would presume all the hosts') new intro/outro style now seems to feature cutaway shots to images and various clips of the actors/actresses he's talking about at the time, and so not as statically presented as before.

(...a nice new touch, I say too)

• Like 1

Well, the color palette in Ben's intro/outro is very beige/brown -- very 70s.  The furniture looks very 50s.  I guess there's no room for a bright color anywhere, whereas there used to be at least one accent piece -- a pillow cushion; a vase.  Overall it's OK and doesn't call attention to itself, which is kind of the point I guess.

But, yeah, the back and forth tracking of the camera does call attention to itself, and I hope that calms down, or stops.

• Thanks 1

More gossipy nonsense with Ben telling us that Judy Garland and Ginger Rogers did not get along, and Olivia de Havilland's thoughts on her personal relationship with Errol Flynn.  Just what the hell did this have anything to do with THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY or THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, respectively?  Is this new TCM trying to "appease" their old-school Boomer audience with these useless, superficial, "fun" tidbits as a way of balancing the stern, humorless, Brave New Woke World for the younger viewers?  I almost feel embarrassed for the station as they fumble about trying to placate the long-time loyal fans, reel in those newbies, and of course keep a steady eye on the bottom line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Refresh was needed from a production standpoint, I like his new set. Looking forward to see what the other host and hostess will be working with. I really hope they give the the Three holidays more punch, for a nostalgic channel, I think its been lacking in that category for awhile. 

• Like 1

I think the new set (for Ben only? or will the other hosts get their own digs?) is pretty not too bad.  It reminds me more of Rob and Laura Petrie's house than a classic movie hang-out, but no real objections to it.  Ben's intro and outro seemed par for the course; and, as I don't care much for him as a host, I just tune him out most of the time.  (Times like these, Dargo, that I wish I had a mute button on my remote)

The one thing I do have beef with is simply that the whole make-over is too frenetic and overly busy.  Back in the mid-60's I had a neighbor who, when her kids got too rambunctious, would shriek "Knock it off, you're making me psychedelic!"  Well, TCM/TOM, you guys are making me psychedelic!  But that's just me, and I see that other people around here are fine with the new look -- de gustibus....  Now, didn't whirling cameras hit their high point a couple of years ago so that that technique could never again be inflicted on a viewing audience?   While glimpsing some of the coming attractions and other fillers, I find I'm channelling my inner Mel Brooks from "The Critic" as weird geometric shapes just float around behind what I'm supposed to be paying attention to.

Oh well.  Could be worse.

Brian 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

... I got to see Ben in his new set.  I could have done without the cameraman panning around while Ben spoke, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to show off the set. ...

I noticed TCM using this “moving camera” effect occasionally before the refresh — it may have been during the host segments for their “Spotlight” features.  In any event, I really don’t like it — it almost makes me a bit queasy sometimes, and even when it doesn’t, it’s distracting in an unpleasant way.  With the new cut-ins to photos and other relevant materials during the host segments, I don’t think they need the distraction of the moving camera just to add visual variety.

5 hours ago, brianNH said:

I think the new set (for Ben only? or will the other hosts get their own digs?) is pretty not too bad. ...

The one thing I do have beef with is simply that the whole make-over is too frenetic and overly busy.  Back in the mid-60's I had a neighbor who, when her kids got too rambunctious, would shriek "Knock it off, you're making me psychedelic!"  Well, TCM/TOM, you guys are making me psychedelic!  But that's just me, and I see that other people around here are fine with the new look -- de gustibus....  Now, didn't whirling cameras hit their high point a couple of years ago so that that technique could never again be inflicted on a viewing audience?  ...

Brian 

I fully agree that the make-over is, overall, too frenetic and overly busy.  I’m generally fine with much of the make-over, including Ben’s interesting new set, but if they could just tone it down a bit overall, and also get rid of the moving camera effect, I’d like it all a lot more.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I noticed TCM using this “moving camera” effect occasionally before the refresh — it may have been during the host segments for their “Spotlight” features.  In any event, I really don’t like it — it almost makes me a bit queasy sometimes, and even when it doesn’t, it’s distracting in an unpleasant way.  With the new cut-ins to photos and other relevant materials during the host segments, I don’t thing they need the distraction of the moving camera just to add visual variety.

I fully agree that the make-over is, overall, too frenetic and overly busy.  I’m generally fine with much of the make-over, including Ben’s interesting new set, but if they could just tone it down a bit overall, and also get rid of the moving camera effect, I’d like it all a lot more.

I do agree about the moving camera. I hope that maybe that was done to show off the set or something. I liked the bright colors and frenetic energy brought by the new branding, but maybe I’m just a frenetic person. I liked it, I thought it was fun. 

20 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

More gossipy nonsense with Ben telling us that Judy Garland and Ginger Rogers did not get along, and Olivia de Havilland's thoughts on her personal relationship with Errol Flynn.  Just what the hell did this have anything to do with THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY or THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, respectively?  Is this new TCM trying to "appease" their old-school Boomer audience with these useless, superficial, "fun" tidbits as a way of balancing the stern, humorless, Brave New Woke World for the younger viewers?  I almost feel embarrassed for the station as they fumble about trying to placate the long-time loyal fans, reel in those newbies, and of course keep a steady eye on the bottom line.

I agree. I think TCM is trying too hard to appease the younger and "woke" audience instead of continuing to follow the familiar landscape.  I miss Robert Osborne and his intro, set and voice more and more.  Maybe I hate change, but I loved TCM for bringing me back to the past. I'm now watching old movies in a funky new 2021 setting and I don't care for it. 

• Like 1

There is another movie message board that I belong to, Romanov1918 -- I won't divulge their name but they specialize in a certain genre I'm very fond of -- and I'm routinely excoriated for my viewpoint, which actually proves the points I try to make about the whole disturbing Big Brother-ish aspects.  I'm indirectly branded some sort of crackpot conspiracy theorist, etc.  It's just....insane.

Saw the update.  My wife has to close her eyes during the intro or she gets motion sickness.  I just remember when I was stuck on an airplane that had to circle O'Hare airport for about an hour.  Now, I'm no physicist, but if it is possible to travel at negative to the speed of light, that's what we were doing.  Felt like my innards were in the seat behind me.  Fond memories of that experience drifted in and out during those long few minutes of our TOM host's enjoying his new digs.  

I think it would be more fun to keep the camera steady and have Ben walk around the room, sitting at the table, lounging on the divan, or maybe even hauling some wood out of whatever that odd nook is behind him.   Muller is probably directing these segments, and he certainly can give Ben some business to do.  

• Like 1
On 9/2/2021 at 12:30 AM, Bronxgirl48 said:

More gossipy nonsense with Ben telling us that Judy Garland and Ginger Rogers did not get along, and Olivia de Havilland's thoughts on her personal relationship with Errol Flynn.  Just what the hell did this have anything to do with THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY or THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, respectively?  Is this new TCM trying to "appease" their old-school Boomer audience with these useless, superficial, "fun" tidbits as a way of balancing the stern, humorless, Brave New Woke World for the younger viewers?

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Robert Osborne, who is generally worshipped on these message boards as an infallible god, loved to dish out the dirt about the private lives of the actors in a production, hardcore and exteme National Enquirer-style. So, this is in no way shape, or form something new or sacrilegious for a TCM host.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

There is another movie message board that I belong to, Romanov1918 -- I won't divulge their name but they specialize in a certain genre I'm very fond of -- and I'm routinely excoriated for my viewpoint, which actually proves the points I try to make about the whole disturbing Big Brother-ish aspects.  I'm indirectly branded some sort of crackpot conspiracy theorist, etc.  It's just....insane.

Where there's smoke there's fire, and today's conspiracy theory is increasingly often tomorrow's conspiracy fact.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brianNH said:

Saw the update.  My wife has to close her eyes during the intro or she gets motion sickness.  I just remember when I was stuck on an airplane that had to circle O'Hare airport for about an hour.  Now, I'm no physicist, but if it is possible to travel at negative to the speed of light, that's what we were doing.  Felt like my innards were in the seat behind me.  Fond memories of that experience drifted in and out during those long few minutes of our TOM host's enjoying his new digs.  

I think it would be more fun to keep the camera steady and have Ben walk around the room, sitting at the table, lounging on the divan, or maybe even hauling some wood out of whatever that odd nook is behind him.   Muller is probably directing these segments, and he certainly can give Ben some business to do.  

If Ben starts pulling books from the bookshelf one at a time, he might find the concealed pushbutton that opens Eddie's safe room.  Maybe Eddie is sitting inside watching Ben and the camera operators in horror through the one-way glass. ;)

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Robert Osborne, who is generally worshipped on these message boards as an infallible god, loved to dish out the dirt about the private lives of the actors in a production, hardcore and exteme National Enquirer-style. So, this is in no way shape, or form something new or sacrilegious for a TCM host.

sewhite, this is a great point you make.  I've always known that about Osborne -- he could be very catty!   But not, however, during the intros/outros.   That, I think, is the difference.  Hypocritical and somewhat, well, phony.... Whenever TCM had one of those semi-documentaries of stars,  Robert would be interviewed saying a lot of gossipy things about Mae West, for example, or others.   Frankly I could never understand why a lot of these older, still surviving performers always fell head over heels in love with him.  Probably because Robert paid them a lot of attention, and those people are basically narcissists.

I remember when RO was being interviewed by Alec Baldwin.  Robert said that he was basically a goody two-shoes during childhood and it was his sister who did some "acting out".   I didn't think that was very diplomatic, even for a sibling.

• Thanks 1

I just remember Robert seeming to dish out gossipy details about behind the scenes romances and so forth, and since I pretty much only saw him on intros/outros, I think he did some of it there. I definitely learned about the Clark Gable-Loretta Young Call of the Wild baby from an intro.

• Like 1

So far, it's the "new look" we see in between the movies I'm trying to digest. And I'm just guessing here, but some of the new sets the hosts have seem to be designed to give it a "homey"appearance, like the host is reaching out to us from their own homes and relaxing for a movie night.  I suppose we should be glad that we're not seeing Ben casually speak to us while wearing a pair of short legged jammies.   But then Alicia introducing any movie while sporting a scanty "nightie" might not be hard to take.  ;) 

Sepiatone

26 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

sewhite, this is a great point you make.  I've always known that about Osborne -- he could be very catty!   But not, however, during the intros/outros.   That, I think, is the difference.  Hypocritical and somewhat, well, phony.... Whenever TCM had one of those semi-documentaries of stars,  Robert would be interviewed saying a lot of gossipy things about Mae West, for example, or others.   Frankly I could never understand why a lot of these older, still surviving performers always fell head over heels in love with him.  Probably because Robert paid them a lot of attention, and those people are basically narcissists.

I remember when RO was being interviewed by Alec Baldwin.  Robert said that he was basically a good two-shoes during his childhood and it was his sister who did some "acting out".   I didn't think that was very diplomatic, even for a sibling.

Robert was also very affable. Pleasant. Ben is not exactly a charmer. Maybe he just rubs people the wrong way, even if what he is saying isn't all that disagreeable. He just seems to draw fire. (This is something I I know a litte about.)

• Like 1