Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The New INTRO Format - A Thumbnail Critique

31 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I just remember Robert seeming to dish out gossipy details about behind the scenes romances and so forth, and since I pretty much only saw him on intros/outros, I think he did some of it there. I definitely learned about the Clark Gable-Loretta Young Call of the Wild baby from an intro.

Yes, Robert did get gossipy at times in his wraparounds. That was one criticism I had of him, and I remember posting about that trait of his several times on this message board. People would defend him, but I thought the gossip undermined his integrity as a legitimate journalist which is how he liked to present himself.

I also had a problem with him hiding in the closet about his sexuality, yet making comments on air about the sex lives of movie stars. It seemed hypocritical. 

But don't get me wrong, Robert did a lot of good at TCM over the years. However, he was not infallible.

The main trouble with the gossipy tidbits is that they are what I refer to as "extra filmic" information, things that often have very little to do with what we are seeing on screen. If you are showing an important movie, then focus on what is on screen. Not what happened off screen!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Robert was also very affable. Pleasant. Ben is not exactly a charmer. Maybe he just rubs people the wrong way, even if what he is saying isn't all that disagreeable. He just seems to draw fire. (This is something I I know a litte about.)

Robert had the air and grace of  a gentleman, and people were drawn towards him.  

Ben in my opinion has all the charm of a cold sore.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, Robert did get gossipy at times in his wraparounds. That was one criticism I had of him, and I remember posting about that trait of his several times on this message board. People would defend him, but I thought the gossip undermined his integrity as a legitimate journalist which is how he liked to present himself.

I also had a problem with him hiding in the closet about his sexuality, yet making comments on air about the sex lives of movie stars. It seemed hypocritical. 

But don't get me wrong, Robert did a lot of good at TCM over the years. But he was not infallible.

The main trouble with the gossipy tidbits is that they are what I refer to as "extra filmic" information, things that often have very little to do with what we are seeing on screen. If you are screening an important movie, then focus on what is on screen. Not what happened off screen!

Great points, TopBilled.  He was human, after all.

Did RO actually think of himself as a journalist?    I always thought the more accurate description was film historian.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Great points, TopBilled.  He was human, after all.

Did RO actually think of himself as a journalist?    I always thought the more accurate description was film historian.

I think the film historian label came later, when he published his book on the Oscars.

But for years, before his hosting gig on TCM, he was employed as a journalist at The Hollywood Reporter. He was not a hard news journalist but was what could be called a soft news journalist who specialized in entertainment-related stories.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I just remember Robert seeming to dish out gossipy details about behind the scenes romances and so forth, and since I pretty much only saw him on intros/outros, I think he did some of it there. I definitely learned about the Clark Gable-Loretta Young Call of the Wild baby from an intro.

Interesting!