Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Roku Watch TCM app crashes after installing updated app

Hello TCM Techies!

Since the update to your Roku app yesterday (9/1/21) that features your new logo and graphics, I can no longer watch TCM programming on my Roku devices.  The app initially loaded and allowed me to accept terms of use and login with my provider, and then the app crashed and went back to the Roku Home Screen.  I have several different Roku devices, some are TVs, some are Roku Sticks, and one is a Roku Express.  None of them work after the update.  They all do the same thing when I open the app.  They load, show the Watch TCM Home Screen briefly and then crash, taking me back to the Roku Home Screen.  Since they are all different types of Roku devices, and they all do the exact same thing, I can only assume you have a software coding issue with your Roku Watch TCM app, which will require an update to fix.  I’ve also uninstalled then reinstalled the app on all my devices to no avail as well   

The app does, however, work fine on my Amazon FireStick.  I thought you might like to know that as well.   

Please let me know what you intend to do about it.  

Thank you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm having exactly the same problem.  This has happened to my "Watch TCM" on ROKU twice before, so I'd call it a chronic problem, but  I was able to get it working with a technical fix provided to me on the ROKU community chat, but am not sure what to do now.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with updating done to ?Watch TCM" site on 9/1, probably including upgrade in operating system.  So I think AtlantaRed is right:  the problem is between Watch TCM programmers and ROKU programmers.  Can anyone suggest the right steps to take at this time?  Thanks!  DaveyJ.

I had the same issue and simply signed out of my account and back in with cable provider info on their website (on my phone). Immediately resolved the issue launching in Roku.

Same issue. No problem signing in with Fire app. Removed the app from my Roku and reinstalled it,  On startup, everything looks normal. I go to settings and attempt to sign in, then the app crashes. After that, it crashes on startup.

This seems to be a recurring issue. You folks update the app, then it stops working on Roku. It's like no one even bothered to test it on a Roku with an existing installation.

Whoever the product owner is on the Roku team should be looking for a new job because producing quality software isn't his or her thing.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app but it crashed while I tries to sign in, then immediately crashes again every time I try to  restart it.

I went to the Roku website to see if I could log out and log back in with launching the app but no luck.

I still do not see any response from TCM. Is there an ETA on a fix?

We’re sorry you’re experiencing issues with the TCM app on Roku. We have shared this information with our team, and would appreciate your help by providing us with a few more details to pinpoint the issue. Please contact us at https://tcmdigitalhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new with the following information:

1. Detailed description of your issue(s)
2. Device model (e.g., 3920x - Roku Premiere)
3. Software/OS version (e.g., 10.0.0 build 4209-91)
4. TV Provider - Note: Please confirm that you receive the TCM channel in your TV package.

Thank you for your assistance!

Count me in on this mess too. IOS app will not allow me to sign out as an added bonus. /s

ROKU app will not allow logins or links to cable cos for access. This is happening on 3 of my 4 ROKUS. (SEE UPDATE BELOW) Have uninstalled and reinstalled app with same behavior. Roku OS version is up to date, and i have confirmed that I have TCM access (forehead desk). It is YOUR APP causing the issue. OH and I have turned it off and on again just for laughs. SAME BEHAVIOR.

Everything was operating as expected PRIOR to this cosmetic update. 

Here is sequence:

Uninstall Watch TCM app. Restart Roku. Reinstall Watch TCM *improved, cough* app. After performing the three steps in order, the app will open - but if I try to sign in so that I can actually watch the movies or tale advantage of the watch list - no luck.  There will be a very, very short flash of the authentication code that I should use to validate my provider, but it quickly disappears and then throws me out.  If I next try to open the app after this, it flashes a partial TCM home screen - and then back to the ROKU home page and the app logo.

UPDATE@ 0755 EDT:

This is now happening on all ROKU TV's and one ROKU ULTRA. 

• Thanks 1

My problem seems different than everyone else’s. I can get some movies to play, but when I push play on other movies, it boots me back to the Roku Home Screen. It seems the movies that I really want to watch boot me out. 🤦‍♂️ The same movies play great on my iPad. 

Another disgruntled Watch TCM on Roku viewer here!  I'm not going to jump through hoops (uninstalling, re-installing, providing device #, OS, etc.) when it is a problem with the Watch TCM app.  They need to fix it, not me!  While they are at it, they can also fix the issue I have about every 2 weeks of having to sign back in!  No other app I have on my Roku just randomly kicks me off like this one does!!  It's a pain in the arse!

Come on, TCM!  Get this thing fixed!  I'm missing some good movies!!

• Like 1

Another disappointed customer here (Watch TCM on Roku now non-functional).  Alas, I made the mistake of updating Watch TCM on my FireTV and it broke that too.

I worked in I/T for 20+ years and we would “Never” roll out updates without proper testing and debug. If I ever did, I’m sure my department would have been systematically canned. This smells of some cutrate vendor doing the work. If they eliminated a host or two, that money could probably pay for a good I/T engineer. 

• Thanks 1

Add another extremely angry TCM subscriber who turned on my brand new Roku and went to the TCM channel only to see it crash.

I removed and reinstalled and same thing.

Logged out & reinstalled and it crashed over and over.

TCM.com still works on PC but Watchlist now is empty

Please fix it

Hello

TCM is working on this issue, and we've been asked to pass this message on:

We’re sorry you’re experiencing issues with the TCM app. Our team has identified the issue that is impacting some fans on Roku devices and we are working on a fix.

In the meantime, viewers can still watch TCM on multiple platforms: https://tcmdigitalhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038727234-On-which-Devices-is-Watch-TCM-avai…

Thank you for your patience.

Me too.  I have 3 Roku devices connected to my televisions.  All 3 crash after I open the new app.  Tried deleting, restarting the boxes and logging out of Spectrum.  Nothing works.  I'll be watching Criterion this weekend -- there's a fabulous NY themed group of movies that will last me all month - hopefully this will be fixed by then.  Last time this happened -- a couple of years ago? -- it took way too long for the issue to be addressed.  I love the channel, but sad to see it declining.  And the new logo?  Why?  They should have worked on creating a better app with more features.  Would be nice to see Noir Alley listed on the left -- along with other themes that they have.  

22 hours ago, MedusaWoman said:

. . .  I'll be watching Criterion this weekend -- there's a fabulous NY themed group of movies that will last me all month . . .

A "New York Stories" film festival without a single Woody Allen film (whither Broadway Danny RoseA Rainy Day in New York,  and especially Manhattan -- not to mention New York Stories?!).

Apparently The Criterion Channel has joined the lynch mob ostracizing one of America's preeminent filmmakers. Disgraceful!

In addition to the new app still crashing every time I try to sign in (as of noon Sept 5), there were these issues (when I was able to use the app):

1. The new fast forward/rewind interface. The old version allowed me to speed through a film quickly. For example, I could go from 00:00 to 45:00 in seconds. The new interface only allows a very slow fast forward, about 12 seconds per second. Why? This is important because:

2. The "continue or restart" page doesn't always show up. When I exit a movie in progress using the pause button and hitting the backward left button, sometimes when I come back to it I can restart at the point where I left off; other times it bumps me back to the beginning, forcing me to fast forward (see item #1). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it chooses to save where I stopped.

3. The watch list function doesn't always work. I can save a movie to my watch list, see the "1" in the watch list circle, then click on watch list and the movie is gone. (No, this isn't because the film is expiring that day; this happens with films that are live for weeks to come.) Sometimes I will save, say, five movies on my watch list, only to go back and see that two of them have been dropped. I scroll back to find the missing two, add them, and call up the watch list and they're gone again. Aggravating.

TCM has great content, for which I am grateful. But the app has been a huge disappointment. Every "improvement" has been the opposite, including the ugly new graphics.

TCMMODERATOR, please provide update for ROKU fix. Since I began using ROKU to access TCM movies, this is the first weekend not watching.  I watch several TCM movies every weekend, so this was a challenge and unsuccessful replacing this with other movie providers. 

I've created a new account to second the same gripe y'all have been making about the latest "update." Failure to fix this issue over the Labor Day weekend is somewhat understandable, but after a full week what excuse do they have now?

A couple more things:

On 9/3/2021 at 6:13 PM, MedusaWoman said:

And the new logo?  Why?

Reminds me of Gap's disastrous logo redesign before they came to their senses and returned to the classic blue box. Now TCM's own logo isn't quite as chic and there's room for improvement, but this garish colorization (at least on the Roku homepage) is a step down from the perfectly fine B&W variations of yore.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, NoonWine said:

In addition to the new app still crashing every time I try to sign in (as of noon Sept 5), there were these issues (when I was able to use the app):

1. The new fast forward/rewind interface. The old version allowed me to speed through a film quickly. For example, I could go from 00:00 to 45:00 in seconds. The new interface only allows a very slow fast forward, about 12 seconds per second. Why? This is important because:

2. The "continue or restart" page doesn't always show up. When I exit a movie in progress using the pause button and hitting the backward left button, sometimes when I come back to it I can restart at the point where I left off; other times it bumps me back to the beginning, forcing me to fast forward (see item #1). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it chooses to save where I stopped.

3. The watch list function doesn't always work. I can save a movie to my watch list, see the "1" in the watch list circle, then click on watch list and the movie is gone. (No, this isn't because the film is expiring that day; this happens with films that are live for weeks to come.) Sometimes I will save, say, five movies on my watch list, only to go back and see that two of them have been dropped. I scroll back to find the missing two, add them, and call up the watch list and they're gone again. Aggravating.

TCM has great content, for which I am grateful. But the app has been a huge disappointment. Every "improvement" has been the opposite, including the ugly new graphics.

This, with one caveat: the watchlist was a mess even before this update. I eventually realized that if you've added whatever title to the watchlist you can't add it again after its first expiration. Sometimes if you remove it before 8 pm on the last date you can add it again when TCM brings back the same title, but that's a crapshoot, really.

Speaking of which why can't TCM leave all titles available till 12 midnight local time (or at least EST/PST)? They actually tried that for a while, but reverted to the 8 pm cutoff shortly before this year's 31 Days of Oscar.

I'm adding my report to all the other posts. Watch TCM crashes, after the recent update. Fortunately, I had an old Fire Stick that had not been updated, refused the update and am using it for now!.

ANY TIMEFRAME FOR RESOLVING THIS ?