Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro


Recommended Posts

Until now, my husband and I have watched most of Ben's introductions before movies, because we love his style and information, even if we're not going to watch each film. We still love Ben's style and information--the problem is the way the scenery behind him, in this new style, moves slowly back and forth, inducing queasiness! I kind of like the colors. The scenery is fine, but I hate the constant motion behind the speaker. To me, the slowly moving scenery is distracting. I want to hear what the host is talking about, but I find myself clenching inwardly, waiting for the slowly moving scene to reach its limit on one side, then slowly swing back in the other direction.  What is wrong with focusing on the speaker? I just don't understand what the constant swirling of the background is all about.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Twokeets said:

Until now, my husband and I have watched most of Ben's introductions before movies, because we love his style and information, even if we're not going to watch each film. We still love Ben's style and information--the problem is the way the scenery behind him, in this new style, moves slowly back and forth, inducing queasiness! I kind of like the colors. The scenery is fine, but I hate the constant motion behind the speaker. To me, the slowly moving scenery is distracting. I want to hear what the host is talking about, but I find myself clenching inwardly, waiting for the slowly moving scene to reach its limit on one side, then slowly swing back in the other direction.  What is wrong with focusing on the speaker? I just don't understand what the constant swirling of the background is all about.

They're trying to appeal to a more youthful demographic with some of these changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Active television camera movement for rather static studio shows (news, sportscasts, etc) has been in vogue for the past few years in some circles.  It may be because camera technology has evolved to the point where they are remotely controlled (no person behind the camera), are much smaller and more mobile than ever, and the directors think it's cool or cutting edge.  Perhaps with the new studio, TCM got some new toys they didn't have in Atlanta?

BBC News has been using these for many years, and they have had their own bloopers.  You can also see in these videos that the cameras have no people behind them.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the new ad with Ben saying in effect, "Let's be honest the TCM audience hates change" was a tad patronizing... perhaps a little condescending. (And here I've been saying I want to be more positive and optimistic.)

Yes, we hate change. That's pretty darn obvious. We watch silent films and movies in black and white.  If there was a way we could 'AI' Robert Osborne we would.

I guess if TCM really wanted to change they could toss out any host over 21 and really bring us into the 21 century.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I thought the new ad with Ben saying in effect, "Let's be honest the TCM audience hates change" was a tad patronizing... perhaps a little condescending. (And here I've been saying I want to be more positive and optimistic.)

Yes, we hate change. That's pretty darn obvious. We watch silent films and movies in black and white.  If there was a way we could 'AI' Robert Osborne we would.

I guess if TCM really wanted to change they could toss out any host over 21 and really bring us into the 21 century.

I just watched it and yes, you're right. He's saying quit yer b!tchin' old people. Might as well tell us to relax, pop open a cool Ensure and peel off those uncomfortable compression socks. 

Then using words like "cool" and "spiffy.?"Why not "neat-o" and "outta sight?" Good God.

And how much sense does it make to say, we know you hate change, so we're making changes. Who are they doing it for? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Active television camera movement for rather static studio shows (news, sportscasts, etc) has been in vogue for the past few years in some circles.  It may be because camera technology has evolved to the point where they are remotely controlled (no person behind the camera), are much smaller and more mobile than ever, and the directors think it's cool or cutting edge.  Perhaps with the new studio, TCM got some new toys they didn't have in Atlanta?

BBC News has been using these for many years, and they have had their own bloopers.  You can also see in these videos that the cameras have no people behind them.  

 

I love how the first chick just went with hit. Never missed a beat and made it fun. What a pro!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

And how much sense does it make to say, we know you hate change, so we're making changes. Who are they doing it for? 

The people they want to watch. Not the people they already have.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I thought the new ad with Ben saying in effect, "Let's be honest the TCM audience hates change" was a tad patronizing... perhaps a little condescending. (And here I've been saying I want to be more positive and optimistic.)

I think it's okay to be realistic, which means pointing out the negative in order to become more positive.

If he is truly being condescending then he is not approaching the current built-in audience with respect or integrity. Like biting the hand.

I agree that the audience could be more open to changes. But brow beating them to accept changes is not very professional. My view.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine this is your favorite restaurant.  You've been going there for 20 years: you love the atmosphere and ambience, you know the waiters and the chef, and you simply love the food.  Your favorite meals are always prepared consistently well.  

Then you walk in one day and the whole place is made over: bright lights, loud noises, and a new menu with strangely moving graphics and print.  Then Ben, your maitre d' comes over and tells you, "Don't worry, the food's still the same."  And you wouldn't be a little apprehensive?  

All I can say is, "You guys better deliver, big-time!"  And maybe that's the point.  I wonder how TOM is going to evaluate the success of this new style.  What criteria, I wonder, have they established to determine the effectiveness of all this.  The reaction so far from these boards is very mixed -- with quite a few people very uneasy about it.  I also wonder if there is anyone in corporate that at some time can say, "We blew it with this one.  How can we fix this?"  Unless, of course, the money comes pouring in, and everyone will be happy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any data to support the need for these changes due to a majority of the viewership registering dislike of what they changed from?  Or did "Mr. Big's" trophy wife say she'd like to see the channel do this or that and look like what she'd prefer?  Because THEN the need for change was inevitable.  :rolleyes:  Like my Mom was once heard to say....

"The way to a man's heart is through his crotch! Compared to his brain, it's the part that seems to work."  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to say but to me this feels less genuine and more like the need to  be "woke" in an age where traditional ideas are being regularly tossed out.

And, by the way, if that's what TCM needs to do to stay on the air then I guess it's better than not.

Like I've said before, TCM has an inherent problem with the base of their content being loaded with racial  and gender stereotypes of all kind. How do you keep going when society is telling you your product is outmoded?

Edited by yanceycravat
changed thinking to product
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can no longer watch the intros/outros of films on TCM. I am not exaggerating. Can't watch 'em.  Moving the camera for no apparent reason. It's silly and distracting and they need to get over the novelty of it. It draws attention to the camera.

"Let's do something new!"

"What?"

"I don't know. Just...something."

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Is there any data to support the need for these changes due to a majority of the viewership registering dislike of what they changed from?  Or did "Mr. Big's" trophy wife say she'd like to see the channel do this or that and look like what she'd prefer?  Because THEN the need for change was inevitable.  :rolleyes:  Like my Mom was once heard to say....

"The way to a man's heart is through his crotch! Compared to his brain, it's the part that seems to work."  :D 

Sepiatone

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-bada-bing.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, unwatchable said:

I can no longer watch the intros/outros of films on TCM. I am not exaggerating. Can't watch 'em.  Moving the camera for no apparent reason. It's silly and distracting and they need to get over the novelty of it. It draws attention to the camera.

"Let's do something new!"

"What?"

"I don't know. Just...something."

I feel/felt that way about that  constantly moving camera technique used a lot(too much) on TV dramas like NYPD BLUE  and to a lesser extent on LAW & ORDER.  Reminded me of when my overindulged 6 year old nephew was handed the camcorder so he could tape family gatherings. 

Promoters of the technique tried to actually endorse it by saying it supposedly provided the same point of view of an on sight observer.  Which only made sense to me if that observer was KATHERINE HEPBURN with her essential tremor.

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I feel/felt that way about that  constantly moving camera technique used a lot(too much) on TV dramas like NYPD BLUE  and to a lesser extent on LAW & ORDER.  Reminded me of when my overindulged 6 year old nephew was handed the camcorder so he could tape family gatherings. 

Promoters of the technique tried to actually endorse it by saying it supposedly provided the same point of view of an on sight observer.  Which only made sense to me if that observer was KATHERINE HEPBURN with her essential tremor.

Yes,  the handheld camera movements were exaggerated so that even the least perceptive of viewers would get the idea. Contrasting this "human observer" technique with TCM's silly ssssslooooow tracking highlights the useless and distracting nature of the movement; at least with NYPD Blue and L&O,  a rationale exists for their technique. TCM? They have no reason for this nonsense, they're just doing it because it's "something different"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else go to the 1964 World’s Fair in New York City?  The GE pavilion had a “Carousel of Progress” where the stage rotated in front of the audience to present scenes that showed how technology in the home had progressed over time:

psWKZf3.jpg

Maybe TCM is rotating the set that Ben is on in front of the camera!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Did anyone else go to the 1964 World’s Fair in New York City?  The GE pavilion had a “Carousel of Progress” where the stage rotated in front of the audience to present scenes that showed how technology in the home had progressed over time:

psWKZf3.jpg

Maybe TCM is rotating the set that Ben is on in front of the camera!

Actually the audience rotates around the fixed stage.  It lives on and and is still rotating in 2021 at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World (without the GE sponsorship)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...