Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro

10 hours ago, CharlesFosterKane said:

I tuned in yesterday and, lo, what do I see? It's Ben Mankiewicz on the high seas! The whole set is now gently rolling, as if we're all standing on the deck of the Pequod. How annoying is that? Well, pretty dang annoying, actually. In real life, people typically stand still when they're talking to you. The old set said "old Hollywood". The new set says "3D-CAD-generated-render-with-a green-screen-of-Ben-in-front-of-it".

And the new "quick cut" animated graphics are perfect for triggering an epileptic seizure, which I don't particularly want. Why have they suddenly decided they have to appeal to the ADHD millennials? They're still not gonna watch TCM until they get to my age, anyway. 

And again I'm sorry, but the new logo doesn't exactly scream "classic". As a graphic designer of over 30 years, all I could think of was, "Gosh, they weren't trying very hard, were they?". 

Yes, I'm a boomer. Yes, there's nothing cool about me. And Ben is right, I don't like change. But that's only because it's been my experience that most change isn't really necessary or helpful. They already had a great product, with great brand appeal. Now, I dunno what they're trying to be, or to whom.

Well, obviously they know their product better than I do. My comments aren't intended to be a "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!" moment. I'm just a firm believer in supplying feedback to a company who's product I consume.

I have yet to see the new rolling set (perhaps I should have some gravol ready ahead of time) but welcome aboard, Charles Foster Kane, and thanks for bringing a sense of humour with you.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, that period is full up for me.

You're speaking in absolutes.

39 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

There has never been a change in format on the channel or website that has not been soundly trounced.  And each time, the previous format was longed for.

Never? How could you possibly know this? TCM has been in operation how long? Since 1994. Not quite pre-internet, but that's pre-internet for most people. Furthermore, you're telling those of us who absolutely loathe these changes, that we shall miss them someday. I  am serious when I  say I cannot even look at these drifting intros/outros and yet, you're telling me you know to a certainty I  am going to miss something  I can't even look at.

I have been with TCM from the start, and never before have I said or felt what you see me posting in this thread. I can't even recall my reaction to any previous changes. This is far different; it's egregious. If you wish to defend these changes TCM  has made, you'll need to come up with a better argument.

I have a feeling this pointless drifting camera nonsense is not going to last long at all. Any novelty it had for those who are indifferent to it has already worn off.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, overeasy said:

I don't think he's on green, but that back and forth movement of this camera "slider" is beyond annoying. 

I just saw it, all cracks aside, as Ben Mankiewicz introduced a PAUL ROBESON Documentary. 

The sliding camera which is not unlike being off pitch at sea, is distracting, but it does give us a lovely shot of the tower of perfectly shaped logs inserted in a wall niche to supply the electric fireplace... 

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

There has never been a change in format on the channel or website that has not been soundly trounced.  And each time, the previous format was longed for.

Yes,  I did acknowledge that there have been TCM changes before.  Although I don't remember a radical change to the look on the actual station -- they have been comparatively minor  over the years.  And I don't recall anyone here on these boards making much of a fuss about those smaller changes.

However,  there have been many changes made to the format of the TCM boards here,  and yes,  every time people have objected,  myself included. I don't actually get why there's a need to overhaul the boards every other year or so,  but I've sort of become resigned to it.

But the new "refreshed" appearance on the actual TCM channel is much more of a change than I've seen in all the years I've been watching it.  And I still don't get why such a change is considered desirable.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Oddly enough, that period is full up for me.

You're speaking in absolutes.

Never? How could you possibly know this? TCM has been in operation how long? Since 1994. Not quite pre-internet, but that's pre-internet for most people. Furthermore, you're telling those of us who absolutely loathe these changes, that we shall miss them someday. I  am serious when I  say I cannot even look at these drifting intros/outros and yet, you're telling me you know to a certainty I  am going to miss something  I can't even look at.

I have been with TCM from the start, and never before have I said or felt what you see me posting in this thread. I can't even recall my reaction to any previous changes. This is far different; it's egregious. If you wish to defend these changes TCM  has made, you'll need to come up with a better argument.

I have a feeling this pointless drifting camera nonsense is not going to last long at all. Any novelty it had for those who are indifferent to it has already worn off.

snoopy-eye-roll.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes,  I did acknowledge that there have been TCM changes before.  Although I don't remember a radical change to the look on the actual station -- they have been comparatively minor  over the years.  And I don't recall anyone here on these boards making much of a fuss about those smaller changes.

However,  there have been many changes made to the format of the TCM boards here,  and yes,  every time people have objected,  myself included. I don't actually get why there's a need to overhaul the boards every other year or so,  but I've sort of become resigned to it.

But the new "refreshed" appearance on the actual TCM channel is much more of a change than I've seen in all the years I've been watching it.  And I still don't get why such a change is considered desirable.

I don't doubt the sincerity of your comments.  And you will just as sincerely criticize the next format change.

2 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I don't doubt the sincerity of your comments.  And you will just as sincerely criticize the next format change.

Because you are all-wise and all-knowing and can predict exactly what and how other people think.  

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

snoopy-eye-roll.png

That is a powerful defense of your position. Well done.  I suppose it is impolite of me to balk at you telling me how I will feel about something I loathe. After all, who would know better than you?

What shall we have next? Doonesbury or Bloom County cartoons?

• Like 1

Because the 50-year-old Doonesbury qnd the 40-year-old Bloom County are things these irreverent punk kids are really into?

No, sorry. I have no dog in this hunt. Just some snarkiness attributable to tiredness. I'm going to bed.

Years ago when I first started working in kitchens, I had an executive chef who thought meetings were a waste of time; but every so often he had to get his assistants together to go over some important things.  Usually those things got derailed quickly, so the chef would stop the meeting and quietly ask, "What is the problem you guys are trying to solve?  Is what you are talking about a solution to that problem?"  More often than not we had to answer, "Not exactly."

So I wonder up in the TOM executive suites and boardrooms what the problem with the channel is and whether or not what we are being treated to really solves that problem.  Too much older audience?  Not enough younger audience?  Not enough revenue streams?  Something else?

Also, I wonder if anybody has any idea that any of this low din of disenchantment will make its way back to the poor souls who decided on this make-over in the first place.

OK, then,  just a couple of wispy last thoughts on all this brouhaha.

• Like 1

If the powers-that-be at TCM think a few fast-edit fillers between films are going to attract younger viewers, I think they are in for disappointment. Yes, TCM has younger viewers, of course they do, and those younger viewers are tuning in to TCM for the very same reasons as the older viewers:   FOR THE FILMS!!

How easily amused these TCM execs must think young people to be- just make the screen flash rapidly, with lots of bright colors and they'll tune in, in droves. Ooooooh, preeeetyyyyy.

Ridiculous, in the textbook sense of the word

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Because you are all-wise and all-knowing and can predict exactly what and how other people think.  

You have the right for a free sneer at me in 2026 when the format changes and you love it.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, unwatchable said:

That is a powerful defense of your position. Well done.  I suppose it is impolite of me to balk at you telling me how I will feel about something I loathe. After all, who would know better than you?

What shall we have next? Doonesbury or Bloom County cartoons?

All I know is what I see, and I have never seen anybody praise a new format.  You are no different.

32 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

All I know is what I see, and I have never seen anybody praise a new format.  You are no different.

You're ignoring what I've told you. You're telling me that you know me, better than I, and because of this all-enscoping view you have. This is kinda silly.

I can't help but be curious: what's it to you if there are members here who don't like these recent changes, and why do you feel the need to tell us that we really don't know what we, ourselves, are thinking? Why can't it be that you have your opinion on the matter, and we have ours? How receptive would you be to this approach if the situation were reversed?

You need Dramamine and a nap, and avoid TCM intros/outros for a week.

Of course, though, you're not actually dizzy. You just think you're dizzy. If you want to know how you really feel, check with slaytonf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1