Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

You need Dramamine and a nap, and avoid TCM intros/outros for a week.

Of course, though, you're not actually dizzy. You just think you're dizzy. If you want to know how you really feel, check with slaytonf.

You all be funny.  And mean. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple of definitions for that word. Whichever one you mean, I'll take it as a compliment.

I seem to recall from grade school, teacher telling the class that birds will sometimes ingest sand or grit to aid in the digestion of their food. Perhaps I might be considered as that. What is a discussion forum without discussion,  and what is a discussion without opposing points of view? I would hope that my remarks- and the manner in which they are expressed- would tend to add an interesting aspect to these discussions.

Or is there just too much excitement around here already?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what we fail to realize is, that while TCM was conceived and nurtured in its early years by a staff and management who LOVED CLASSIC MOVIES, that is no longer the case.  Ted Turner obtained the MGM film library for the purpose of starting a network featuring classic films, the  vast majority of which had been produced during the studio system era.  Most of these  films had not been widely seen anywhere for years, except at the occasional film festival.  He hired Robert Osborne to host and to be the "face" of the network because Osborne was a well known (dare I utilize a much over-used word?) curator of classic films and the actors, writers and directors who created them.  TCM management assembled the best writers, producers, researchers,  art directors and composers they could find to pay homage to classic films and the station soon became, not a network, but a phenomenon. Also, a veritable feast for the eyes with its clever graphics, music and special features.  The channel succeeded beyond Turner's (later Time-Warner's) wildest dreams.  No doubt, in the first decade of TCM's existence management was saying:  "We've tapped into something here!  These fans will come to film festivals, go on cruises, buy anything with a TCM logo on it because they love what we have created here and they love classic films. They feel bonded to our network in a way that never happens.  We don't have viewers, we have fans!"

Fast forward to today.  TCM is, for the most part, no longer run by a management and staff of classic film lovers. Au contraire.  Ownership and management are TV executives who probably worked at one of AT&T/Warner Media's other channels before coming to TCM.  They most likely are of the age group they seek to drive to the network   --  regardless of whether or not that is a realistic expectation. There's a reason why this new logo/graphics package and bizarre shooting style of the intros/outros exists.  It exists because the current decision makers clearly believe that  everything about the "original" TCM was dated,  ugly and very often "inappropriate." And, they also know that they can do whatever they like because, as bosses often say to recalcitrant staff:  "What are you gonna do?  Quit?" TCM viewers will continue to watch the channel (and pay the appropriate cable or streaming fees) even if they hate the "new look" and attitude  because it is pretty much the only classic movie channel out there. 

Departing now with a vat of lethal Kool Aid to "convert" more unsuspecting folks . . . 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said, Mr. Lydecker, and thank you for your post.

5 minutes ago, lydecker said:

 (dare I utilize a much over-used word?) curator ...

Indeed. "Curate" seems to have been discovered by the Twitter mob, along with "aesthetic"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, unwatchable said:

Well said, Mr. Lydecker, and thank you for your post.

Indded. "Curate" seems to have been discovered by the Twitter mob, along with "aesthetic"

I know, I know and 90% of the time they don't even use it correctly!!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often used words like "curate" and no nothing about no tweeting twitter.  I'm a dinosaur, my badge of honor! 

I used "untenable" because of it alluding to "unwatchable" though in essential content it would mean indefensible.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I used "untenable" because of it alluding to "unwatchable" though in essential content it would mean indefensible.  

Yes, I got the allusion the moment I read your post.  Comedy has rules. I'd like to think I'm familiar with most of them.

If I'm indefensible, no one should mind if I pick up that slack. I seem to do OK in that respect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I think what we fail to realize is, that while TCM was conceived and nurtured in its early years by a staff and management who LOVED CLASSIC MOVIES, that is no longer the case.  Ted Turner obtained the MGM film library for the purpose of starting a network featuring classic films, the  vast majority of which had been produced during the studio system era.  Most of these  films had not been widely seen anywhere for years, except at the occasional film festival.  He hired Robert Osborne to host and to be the "face" of the network because Osborne was a well known (dare I utilize a much over-used word?) curator of classic films and the actors, writers and directors who created them.  TCM management assembled the best writers, producers, researchers,  art directors and composers they could find to pay homage to classic films and the station soon became, not a network, but a phenomenon. Also, a veritable feast for the eyes with its clever graphics, music and special features.  The channel succeeded beyond Turner's (later Time-Warner's) wildest dreams.  No doubt, in the first decade of TCM's existence management was saying:  "We've tapped into something here!  These fans will come to film festivals, go on cruises, buy anything with a TCM logo on it because they love what we have created here and they love classic films. They feel bonded to our network in a way that never happens.  We don't have viewers, we have fans!"

Fast forward to today.  TCM is, for the most part, no longer run by a management and staff of classic film lovers. Au contraire.  Ownership and management are TV executives who probably worked at one of AT&T/Warner Media's other channels before coming to TCM.  They most likely are of the age group they seek to drive to the network   --  regardless of whether or not that is a realistic expectation. There's a reason why this new logo/graphics package and bizarre shooting style of the intros/outros exists.  It exists because the current decision makers clearly believe that  everything about the "original" TCM was dated,  ugly and very often "inappropriate." And, they also know that they can do whatever they like because, as bosses often say to recalcitrant staff:  "What are you gonna do?  Quit?" TCM viewers will continue to watch the channel (and pay the appropriate cable or streaming fees) even if they hate the "new look" and attitude  because it is pretty much the only classic movie channel out there. 

Departing now with a vat of lethal Kool Aid to "convert" more unsuspecting folks . . . 

From Curator to Curate's Egg, in about 25 years.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, I got the allusion the moment I read your post.  Comedy has rules. I'd like to think I'm familiar with most of them.

If I'm indefensible, no one should mind if I pick up that slack. I seem to do OK in that respect.

Spoken like a true... smart y pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...