Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro

OK, enough!

Take all this "brou-ha" to the PMs. 

Back to the thread.....

Actually, and paying more attention to the hosts'  appearances between  two movies last night(it was Alicia) all I noticed was a slow zoom.  And barely any movement from Alicia herself.  So I'll have to pay more attention when other hosts are used(and considering TCM shows anything I care to watch that night) to see what this "slo-mo" complaint is all about. 

Sepiatone

7 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

If people would only understand that long ago, I withdrew my application for entry into the popularity contest, things would be simpler...

That I can relate to.  There is also an auto-censor on this forum... 

12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, enough!

Take all this "brou-ha" to the PMs. 

Back to the thread.....

Actually, and paying more attention to the hosts'  appearances between  two movies last night(it was Alicia) all I noticed was a slow zoom.  And barely any movement from Alicia herself.  So I'll have to pay more attention when other hosts are used(and considering TCM shows anything I care to watch that night) to see what this "slo-mo" complaint is all about. 

Sepiatone

There is no "brouhaha", SEPIATONE, merely having fun with another member.   Go read another thread that bore you, m'dear.  ;)

Well, here we go again, with TCM "bringing us into the 21st Century," to quote good Ben Manqiewicz in his new promo for TCM's "spiffy new look" (also to quote Ben). 

Ben, you also acknowledge in your promo that you know "TCM fans don't like change."  Then why for goodness sake ARE YOU DOING IT?  Once again, let me remind your sharp, young network executive who is obviously behind this biggest marketing and programming blunder since Coca-Cola changed their formula that we TCM viewers come to the channel because IT IS A REFUGE FROM THE 21st CENTURY. We HATE the 21st Century and everything about it.

BTW, your "spiffy new look" also just happens to stink. It is a cold, hollow and austere design. You have ruined a beautiful brand.

Time to look for a new job, bright young TCM executive.

Well, here we go again, with TCM "bringing us into the 21st Century," to quote good Ben Manqiewicz in his new promo for TCM's "spiffy new look" (also to quote Ben). 

Ben, you also acknowledge in your promo that you know "TCM fans don't like change."  Then why for goodness sake ARE YOU DOING IT?  Once again, let me remind your sharp, young network executive who is obviously behind this biggest marketing and programming blunder since Coca-Cola changed their formula that we TCM viewers come to the channel because IT IS A REFUGE FROM THE 21st CENTURY. We HATE the 21st Century and everything about it.

BTW, your "spiffy new look" also just happens to stink. It is a cold, hollow and austere design. You have ruined a beautiful brand.

Time to look for a new job, bright young TCM executive.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, RealClassic said:

You have ruined a beautiful brand.

I'm sorry to say it seems they just don't care.  As long as there's coin to be made, they're good to go.  If that means they must pander, then pander they shall.

One thing is certain- TCM is now no longer about the films it presents.

15 hours ago, slaytonf said:

You have the right for a free sneer at me in 2026 when the format changes and you love it.

You are being astonishingly arrogant and  condescending.

For the record,  I don't really care all that much about the visual changes to TCM.  I don't like them,  but they're not going to stop me from watching the station.   I suspect most people here who are complaining about these changes feel the same way:   Look,  it's not that big a deal, but still,  it's ugly and unnecessary.   Most people who come to these boards are long-time TCM fans;  it's not unreasonable or inappropriate that they think it's ok to vent here about something like a stylistic overhaul of the way TCM presents itself.

I don't think anyone here who dislikes these changes is saying they're going to boycott TCM or anything like that, they're simply expressing their dislike of the new format in a completely appropriate way,  eg,  posting here on the TCM forums.

How come you've taken this up as such a big cause?   I can't help but suspect that you think anyone who's objecting to the "TCM   Refresh"  is old and conservative.  I suspect you think anyone who's bothered by the changes also dislikes it when TCM shows anything made after 1960,  or a foreign language film,   or presents programming with themes such as " Women in Cinema",  or TCM Underground films.

Guess what?  I am  happy when TCM shows all of the above.  I'm not "conservative" when it comes to such programming.  I welcome it.  My annoyance with the visual changes the station has recently made is completely valid,  and has nothing to do with how I feel about their programming.   ( True, ok, you have not directly said there's a connection,  but I have a feeling you think there is.  Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oh, and by the way,  as I stated before,  I've been watching TCM since 2005, and contrary to what you seem to think,  there has never been as radical an alteration to the visuals of the station as there is now.  So your   "  Oh, you'll get used to it and then you'll complain about another change 5 years from  now"  idea is unfounded,  and insulting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
On 9/4/2021 at 12:06 AM, Movie Collector OH said:

As their roll their eyes from being patronized.  It's as thick as molasses.

The best way to appeal to younger viewers would be to replace the hosts.  I doubt they finds anything cool (or whatever the current phrase is) about a lineup of middle-aged people old enough to be their parents.

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

The best way to appeal to younger viewers would be to replace the hosts.  I doubt they finds anything cool (or whatever the current phrase is) about a lineup of middle-aged people old enough to be their parents.

WAIT a sec here, LoyFan! SURELY you're not suggesting TCM hire some young dweeb like THIS here, now are YOU???...

o-NERDY-TEENAGER-IN-THE-1970S-facebook.j

Look here, LoyFan. I've had it up to HERE with these young squirts who start EVERY freakin' sentence that comes out of their mouths with the word "So"!

Aren't YOU?! Or is all this "so" jazz okay with you TOO?!!!

(...hell, I'd even take nasally Ben's "AACK-tor" pronunciation over some young dweeb sayin' "so" EVERY damn time they start a sentence, ANY ol' day o' of week!!!)

;)

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

You are being astonishingly arrogant and  condescending.

For the record,  I don't really care all that much about the visual changes to TCM.  I don't like them,  but they're not going to stop me from watching the station.   I suspect most people here who are complaining about these changes feel the same way:   Look,  it's not that big a deal, but still,  it's ugly and unnecessary.   Most people who come to these boards are long-time TCM fans;  it's not unreasonable or inappropriate that they think it's ok to vent here about something like a stylistic overhaul of the way TCM presents itself.

I don't think anyone here who dislikes these changes is saying they're going to boycott TCM or anything like that, they're simply expressing their dislike of the new format in a completely appropriate way,  eg,  posting here on the TCM forums.

How come you've taken this up as such a big cause?   I can't help but suspect that you think anyone who's objecting to the "TCM   Refresh"  is old and conservative.  I suspect you think anyone who's bothered by the changes also dislikes it when TCM shows anything made after 1960,  or a foreign language film,   or presents programming with themes such as " Women in Cinema",  or TCM Underground films.

Guess what?  I am  happy when TCM shows all of the above.  I'm not "conservative" when it comes to such programming.  I welcome it.  My annoyance with the visual changes the station has recently made is completely valid,  and has nothing to do with how I feel about their programming.   ( True, ok, you have not directly said there's a connection,  but I have a feeling you think there is.  Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oh, and by the way,  as I stated before,  I've been watching TCM since 2005, and contrary to what you seem to think,  there has never been as radical an alteration to the visuals of the station as there is now.  So your   "  Oh, you'll get used to it and then you'll complain about another change 5 years from  now"  idea is unfounded,  and insulting.

23 hours ago, unwatchable said:

You're ignoring what I've told you. You're telling me that you know me, better than I, and because of this all-enscoping view you have. This is kinda silly.

I can't help but be curious: what's it to you if there are members here who don't like these recent changes, and why do you feel the need to tell us that we really don't know what we, ourselves, are thinking? Why can't it be that you have your opinion on the matter, and we have ours? How receptive would you be to this approach if the situation were reversed?

All I have said, and I say it now, is that every time the format has changed either on the channel or the Website, it has been universally criticized, and the loss of the previous format has been regretted, the very format that was criticized when it was introduced. 

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

WAIT a sec here, LoyFan! SURELY you're not suggesting TCM hire some young dweeb like THIS here, now are YOU???...

o-NERDY-TEENAGER-IN-THE-1970S-facebook.j

Look here, LoyFan. I've had it up to HERE with these young squirts who start EVERY freakin' sentence that comes out of their mouths with the word "So"!

Don't YOU?! Or is all this "so" jazz okay with you TOO?!!!

(...hell, I'd even take nasally Ben's "AACK-tor" pronunciation over some young dweeb sayin' "so" EVERY damn time they start a sentence, ANY ol' day o' of week!!!)

;)

Hmm...  That brought to my mind someone like one of the hosts/former hosts from the children's show Blues Clues.  Already been a host - have that training behind them, and would appeal to kids who grew up on Blues Clues.  Just a different teleprompter...  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/blues-clues.jpg

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

All I have said, and I say it now, is that every time the format has changed either on the channel or the Website, it has been universally criticized, and the loss of the previous format has been regretted, the very format that was criticized when it was introduced

R.9114276d4555711d11271ade316b2428?rik=X

"Reminds me of all the times I'VE been criticized when I was introduced to someone!"

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

All I have said, and I say it now, is that every time the format has changed either on the channel or the Website, it has been universally criticized, and the loss of the previous format has been regretted, the very format that was criticized when it was introduced.

It's funny to see you downplaying your remarks. "All I have said..."  Interesting.   What you have said is a blanket statement: "every time..." "universally criticized..."

You're speaking in absolutes, and now you say "well, all I have done..."

What you have done is speak for all of us, and you don't have that right. You can't know. I told you that I cannot look at these drifting camera shots in BM's intos/outros. This is no exaggeration. I see that nonsense on my screen and I have to look away. I've said this more than once, and yet, you just forge ahead and tell me I'm like everyone else because I'll get used to it, and not only get used to it, I'll lament the passage of this nonsense, when TCM once again changes the format. You're telling me that you know me better than I know myself.  So, in part, this is what you're doing when you downplay it by saying "All I have done was to..."  This is absurd.

I asked you how receptive you would be to this approach if the situation were reversed. I'll ask again, more directly: May I tell you what you think? If you were to share wih me something about your position on any random subject about which I am reasonably competent, and you went on to tell me that you are steadfast in your beliefs and this will not change, would you be receptive to me saying to you that not only will you no longer hold your opinion/belief in the future, you will turn from it 180 degrees? If I were to tell you I know these things about you, better than you know yourself, because, well, it's universal, how would you react to this? These questions are valid.

This goes beyond the scope of mere opinion or experience; you are telling me that you can read my mind, and the mind of others. I pity anyone who would tolerate such nonsense from anyone else, because that person is a door mat.

You have disregarded what I have said when speaking for myself alone.  You can, of course, hold any views you wish, but you do not speak for me, and you do not speak for others in this regard . You have the temerity to tell me that I know so little about myself, that you know what I will think in the future, contrary to my own mind.

But, hey, "that's all" you did. Just that, no big thing.

9 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

It's funny to see you downplaying your remarks. "All I have said..."  Interesting.   What you have said is a blanket statement: "every time..." "universally criticized..."

You're speaking in absolutes, and now you say "well, all I have done..."

What you have done is speak for all of us, and you don't have that right. You can't know. I told you that I cannot look at these drifting camera shots in BM's intos/outros. This is no exaggeration. I see that nonsense on my screen, and I have to look away. I've said this more than once, and yet, you just forge ahead and tell me I'm like everyone else because I'll get used to it, and not only get used to it, I'll lament the passage of this nonsense, when TCM once again changes the format. You're telling me that you know me, better than I know myself.  So, in part, this is what you're doing when you downplay it by saying "All I have done was to..."  This is absurd.

I asked you how receptive you would be to this approach if the situation were reversed. I'll ask again, more directly: May I tell you what you think? If you were to share wih me something about your position on any random subject about which I am reasonably competent, and you went on to tell me that you are steadfast in you beliefs and this will not change, would you be receptive to me saying to you that not only will you no longer hold your opinion/belief in the future, you will turn from it 180 degrees? If I were to tell you I know these things about you, better than you know yourself, because, well, it's universal, how would you react to this? These questions are valid.

This goes beyond the scope of mere opinion or experience; you are telling me that you can read my mind, and the mind of others. I pity anyone who would tolerate such nonsense from anyone else, because that person is a door mat.

You have disregarded what I have said when speaking for myself alone.  You can, of course, hold any views you wish, but you do not speak for me, and you do not speak for others in this regard . You have the temerity to tell me that I know so little about myself, that you know what I will think in the future, contrary to my own mind.

But, hey, "that's all" you did. Just that, no big thing.

When a new format is introduced, people criticize it, and when a new format is introduced after that, people want to return to it.

At this pont, I can only assume this is deliberate.  The alternative is for you to be unable to comprehend what I have stated- clearly and repeatedly-  and you have ignored my questions. Perhaps you are truly that dull, but I don't think that's the case.   I admire and respect forthright behavior and plain speaking. These things appear to be light years from you in your universe.

Repeating your "all I have said.." mantra seems to be all you have. Perhaps you should tell me again about it.