Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro

6 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Are the hosts really middle aged?   Man, I must be older than I thought.

Ben Mankiewicz is 54. Jacqueline Stewart is 51. Dave Karger is 48. Eddie Mueller and Alicia Malone have successfully kept their ages hidden from the online community, as far as I can tell, but I think it's reaasonable by looking at their education and career records to say Eddie is possibly in his early '60s and Alicia, the "baby" of the group, in her early '40s. So, yes, middle-aged.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ben Mankiewicz is 54. Jacqueline Stewart is 51. Dave Karger is 48. Eddie Mueller and Alicia Malone have successfully kept their ages hidden from the online community, as far as I can tell, but I think it's reaasonable by looking at their education and career records to say Eddie is possibly in his early '60s and Alicia, the "baby" of the group, in her early '40s. So, yes, middle-aged.

Robert Osborne would have been 89 at this point.

• Thanks 1

I'll take an 89 year old Osborne over his replacement at any age. BM may be middle-aged, but, in terms of maturity, he's a petulant high schooler. I have no idea of what were Robert Osborne's political views (which is as it should be) , but BM is a disgrace in that respect, along with his "young turk" pals.

Silly me, I thought TCM was for everyone who loves movies, but, since the departure of Robert Osborne, it seems some of we loyal fans have been marginalized, and that feeling grows more acute with each passing  day.

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Actually, it's difficult for someone who IS middle aged to be able to detect it.  Now, I can't speak for the ladies, but one surefire way for MEN to tell if they're middle aged, is....

When you wake up in the morning, and it's your BACK that's stiff!  ;) 

And ALLHALLOWS.....   Don't tell me that all that silliness between  SLAYTON and UNWATCHABLE wasn't any kind of "Brou-ha".

Sepiatone

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

WAIT a sec here, LoyFan! SURELY you're not suggesting TCM hire some young dweeb like THIS here, now are YOU???...

o-NERDY-TEENAGER-IN-THE-1970S-facebook.j

Look here, LoyFan. I've had it up to HERE with these young squirts who start EVERY freakin' sentence that comes out of their mouths with the word "So"!

Aren't YOU?! Or is all this "so" jazz okay with you TOO?!!!

(...hell, I'd even take nasally Ben's "AACK-tor" pronunciation over some young dweeb sayin' "so" EVERY damn time they start a sentence, ANY ol' day o' of week!!!)

;)

Nah, I was thinking along the lines of Kylie Jenner or a performer whose name starts out with “lil”. Or perhaps, somebody from Tik Tok. 

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

Nah, I was thinking along the lines of Kylie Jenner or a performer whose name starts out with “lil”. Or perhaps, somebody from Tik Tok. 

In other words, STILL some young thing who probably starts every damn sentence with the word "so" TOO, huh?!  ;)

AND, would probably be SO ignorant of classic films that they'd think "Stella Dallas" was some kind'a beer imported from Belgium, RIGHT?!

LOL

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

In other words, STILL some young thing who probably starts every damn sentence with the word "so" TOO, huh?!  ;)

(...AND would probably be SO ignorant of classic films that they'd think Stella Dallas was some kind'a beer imported from Belgium, RIGHT?!)

LOL

Until I read this post, I never realized how much I wanted TCM to start their own craft brewery line, so that we could have movie inspired beers.  

Stella Dallas Hazy IPA

The Little Foxes Bitter Ale

Brigadoon Scotch Ale

The Third Man Vienna Lager

• Like 3
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Until I read this post, I never realized how much I wanted TCM to start their own craft brewery line, so that we could have movie inspired beers.  

Stella Dallas Hazy IPA

The Little Foxes Bitter Ale

Brigadoon Scotch Ale

The Third Man Vienna Lager

Don't worry. speedy. This very thing is probably comin' down the ol' TCM pipeline very very soon, too!

For ME though, I'll be watin' for 'em to offer a deep dark ale that's sportin' THIS guy on its label...

8VObqTCOljxeyfVWaIthtEbw4lm.jpg&ehk=89%2

"Porter Hall"!

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Don't worry. speedy. This very thing is probably comin' down the ol' TCM pipeline very very soon, too!

For ME though, I'll be watin' for 'em to offer a deep dark ale that's sportin' THIS guy on its label...

8VObqTCOljxeyfVWaIthtEbw4lm.jpg&ehk=89%2

"Porter Hall"!

The possibilities are truly endless. TCM could even have their own line of hops, yeasts, grains, and malts too. 

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The possibilities are truly endless. TCM could even have their own line of hops, yeasts, grains, and malts too. 

Yeah, maybe, but considerin' how much they've ALREADY spent on the rollout of this whole new look of theirs, I wonder how much they truly have left in their coffers in order to venture into a new business territory such as this. ;)

(...btw, NOT that I'm one of those "CHANGE?! Why Did We Need To Change TCM's Look?" old foggies around here...nope, and 'cause I kind'a LIKE this new look o' theirs, to be honest with ya here)

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Don't give them any ideas . . . 

Now you have me intrigued, Dargo.  I wouldn't have attributed approval or disapproval to your reaction to the nw TOM look, since -- in my opinion, at least -- your good-natured ribbing scatters across a whole field of fire.  But I would be interested in reading what you find satisfactory about it, seeing how this has all been swept up in such a whirlwind of Old Fogeyism!  

That is, if you've a mind to, anyway.  Thanks.

Well, I finally noticed this "whiplash"( barely)  that's at the heart of this complaint, and The Bard said it best.....

Much ado about nothing. 

My first guess would be the intent is to slowly show off all the set design changes  while not keeping Ben off the camera, which would result in much whining on Ben's part(probably) as it would had it happened to any of the other self important bloated ego movie hosts on the network.  After all, some TCM big shot's niece or nephew didn't go through all that trouble only to have nobody notice it, did they? ;)   and BTW-----

"niece or nephew" is interchangeable with "trophy wife".

Sepiatone

Isn't  it odd, then, that the complaints about it are not coming from a lone source? How strange, since it's nothing at all.  Must be an instance of mass hysteria. Since some dismiss it, well, it must be dismissed by all, yes?

16 hours ago, brianNH said:

Now you have me intrigued, Dargo.  I wouldn't have attributed approval or disapproval to your reaction to the nw TOM look, since -- in my opinion, at least -- your good-natured ribbing scatters across a whole field of fire.  But I would be interested in reading what you find satisfactory about it, seeing how this has all been swept up in such a whirlwind of Old Fogeyism!  

That is, if you've a mind to, anyway.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, please, do tell.

Yep, I knew my "old foggies" line would elicit a reponse from someone, alright. ;)

But before I answer your question here Brian, I must preface it by saying that it's primarily and almost solely based upon what I watched the first night, September 1st, of this "new look", and so one could say my opinion of it is only based anecdoltally. You see, I've been watching a lot of Baseball (GO DODGERS!) and other various programs since that first night.

First, I liked the new set.

Secondly, I liked that Ben's wraparounds now include a cut to visuals of the subject or person he's talking about at the time, and a la Mr. Muller's series.

Thirdly, I liked the newly filmed "filler" segments they showed, and primarily because I've probably seen all the older ones they've shown for the past 25 years a zillion times already. It gave me the feeling that the corporate types who make the ultimate decisions and who finance TCM, at least care about adding to TCM's interests.

(...and so in closing, perhaps I've not watched enough of TCM's "new look" in order to develop a truly critical/cynical eye about it, but it's seemed to me that even BEFORE the rollout for this new look, there were a hell of lot of "old foggies" just chomping at the bit to chime in on these boards to give us their dire prognotications of a bleaker future for this channel, and which I believe have now turned out to be proven false or at the very least shown to be a similar case to how Mark Twain once famously replied to the reports of his death) 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I knew my "old foggies" line would elicit a reponse from someone, alright. ;)

From two someones, actually, and I wasn't even the one who asked first, and what does this have to do with age, anyway? That's not the first time you've said such a thing. What's the deal?

By the way, the term is fogey or fogy  (plural,  fogeys or fogies) If you wish to use the word as a flail, you might as well spell it correctly.

Only in our confused society is age something to be considered a detriment. Forget the fact that all those fogies have been around longer and therefore likely have more experience in this world.  You should be careful in our world of near-instantaneous obsolescence because they'll be coming for you in the blink of an eye. But, hey, what do I know? Nothing at all, it seems.

If you want to dance, just ask me. You don't seem to be my type, though.

1 hour ago, unwatchable said:

From two someones, actually, and I wasn't even the one who asked first, and what does this have to do with age, anyway? That's not the first time you've said such a thing. What's the deal?

By the way, the term is fogey or fogy  (plural,  fogeys or fogies) If you wish to use the word as a flail, you might as well spell it correctly.

Ya know unwatchable, I did wonder if I might have been adding one too many 'g's in the word "fogie" up there. Thanks for the correction.

Only in our confused society is age something to be considered a detriment. Forget the fact that all those fogies have been around longer and therefore likely have more experience in this world.  You should be careful in our world of near-instantaneous obsolescence because they'll be coming for you in the blink of an eye. But, hey, what do I know? Nothing at all, it seems.

First, I didn't mean to imply at all by my use of the word that everyone past their prime years is or was an "old fogey". Nope, not at all. However, haven't you ever noticed that many of those out there who resist any sort of "change" DO generally tend to be of a more advanced age? Secondly and in regard to your second sentence in the above paragraph, of course this is true, but with this experience should not the idea of the person attaining more wisdom also follow and with more wisdom being attained by a person. I've noticed that those who have gained some of this quality as they age usually are far less likely to succumb to paranoic thoughts such as "they'll be comin for you in the blink of an eye", AND which now has led me to the THIRD sentence in your above paragraph here, dude! 

Eeh, I'll pass on this, as my  dance card has been full for many years now.

(...and besides, you don't strike me as my type either...well, except for maybe our both being mutually, and as I said in that now deleted introductory post of yours of the other day, "insightful and articulate")  ;) 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Here you go. 

Warning:  Those who see it as essential to live within somebody else's construct or system may find this disturbing.  😁

(circle is transparent instead of opaque dark red, just to completely show this divisive scheme)

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/generations1.png

• Haha 1

Gloriosky, Dargo!  I knew you'd come through.  Thanks for taking some time out from truckin' up and down those sun-baked highways of Arizona to respond here.  I'm very happy that you did.

I will first admit that I am in agreeance --Lord, what a horrid non-word! -- with you on the new set.  It's kinda cozy, almost as if Rob and Laura Petrie sublet the Jetson's apartment -- though in place of the stacked firewood they should try a closetful of walnuts.  Seriously, I rather like it, too.

As for including images of relevant subject matter during the intro's, sure that makes sense  as well.  Now, about the new fillers, I'm not sure what to make of that; so I'll hold off on a judgment.

I'm really glad you chose to explain some of the things you like about the redo.  So much in response to those who are uneasy with it has been along the lines of , "No big deal; just get over it."  I, for one, would very much like to hear people's rational appreciation of how the new look works for them.  I can imagine they have quite valid reasons; but in the end, most of it boils down to aesthetics.  If it's pleasing to you, fine.  If not, fine, too.  (I do have another response somewhere else that goes a little darker into what I think of all this, but for here and now, it looks like you and I are on close to the same page.)

By the way, I have dual membership in the fogey/foggy benevolent associations.  We meet every other Tuesday -- or Thursday -- somewhere.  Most of us manage to show up, though, and it's kinda fun.  Why, just the other day I was telling my wife about that Glen Ford movie, "The Gazebo," and I couldn't for the life of me remember John McGiver's last name.  Seriously, John McGiver is one of my favorite character actors and I couldn't pull up his name!  Three minutes late it came back to me.  So, yes, fogey/foggy:  it makes no difference to me.

Thanks again, Dargo. I appreciate it.  

Brian

• Like 1

Of course, Dargo. It's all just a misunderstanding. That makes two misunderstandings between you and me.  One of the main differences between me as I now exist and the me of years past is that I have a far better understanding of human nature. I imagine you'll have the same experience when you get there- excuse me- if you get there.

BTW, I'm not as old as you seem to think. Your attitude is understandable, though. Why, I remember when I was but a wee tyke.  Anyone over 20 seemed ancient to me. You'll grow out of it.  Probably

On 9/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, unwatchable said:

At this pont, I can only assume this is deliberate.  The alternative is for you to be unable to comprehend what I have stated- clearly and repeatedly-  and you have ignored my questions. Perhaps you are truly that dull, but I don't think that's the case.   I admire and respect forthright behavior and plain speaking. These things appear to be light years from you in your universe.

Repeating your "all I have said.." mantra seems to be all you have. Perhaps you should tell me again about it.

Snoopy-Yawn.png