Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slo-Mo Whiplash - Ben's New Intro

On 9/7/2021 at 6:50 AM, sewhite2000 said:

...Eddie Mueller and Alicia Malone have successfully kept their ages hidden from the online community, as far as I can tell, but I think it's reasonable by looking at their education and career records to say Eddie is possibly in his early '60s ... .

You guessed correctly about Eddie Muller’s age.  From a Google search:

Born: October 15, 1958 (age 62 years), San Francisco, CA
Parents: Eddie Muller
  • Thanks 2

Regarding the new sets, the new graphics and the new music:  I pretty much hate them.  Hate them.  Of course I love TCM:  it is the only thing I watch on TV; excepting, once in a while, 'The Film Detective.'  So naturally it's upsetting to find that there is so much to be unhappy with in the redesign.  The new colors are too bright, with too much contrast; the graphics move too quickly and are practically seizure-inducing.  The new music themes are intolerable digital noises; the new sets: spare and uncomfortable-looking.  I read somewhere that all this is an effort to bring the channel into the 21st Century, but I would ask, 'why?'  People watch TCM in order to see old movies; one might say, in order to get out of the 21st Century.  So it makes absolutely no sense to want to modernize it.  I would suggest that many folks are like me and enjoy old things, whether old movies, old music, antique furniture, etc.   I will go farther and say specifically that I have not got the stomach --  nor the ears -- for digital anything, even sometimes including movies that have been digitally restored.  And I almost  always have to pass on those that have had their soundtracks digitized.  The real world is analog, and always will be analog; if you digitize it, you make it into something unnatural.  One more thing -- back in the 80s or 90s, there was a Very Important Person in the Classic Movie arena who became a leader in the drive to colorize old classic black&white films.  His people did a great job; but I think it is safe to say that the changes went over like a lead balloon.  The current changes remind me of that effort.  Nobody wants it.  It is a waste of time and energy, and generally poses a threat to these classic films by introducing and making acceptable the modernization of old 'stuff' in the realm of film.  Like, do their old clothes offend?  Get out your digital tools and go to work to tweak them just enough to take off that ragged antiquity; the sound effects don't seem hip enough? or the language?  It can all be adjusted in the Virtual Digital World.  But if that's what we want, why bother with them in the first place, with watching them or preserving them or studying or anything ... might as well burn 'em.

• Like 1

I agree with all your comments. My main beef, though, is the constantly turning background behind Ben during his intros and outros. All the rest I can live with, even if I don't like it. I just hate this constant movement behind Ben. Even when they show the photos of the actors when Ben is talking about them, there are graphic squiggles moving constantly behind the photos of the actors. I just want to relax and listen to what Ben is saying. Not clench myself in anticipation of when the camera will turn back in the other direction.

• Like 1

And re the camera angles that they're doing with Ben recently...

Nope, have to say I've never thought this whole fairly recent thing that's seems all the rage in recent years and when the person you're watching on TV (and whoever it might be) is shown in profile and not into the camera while they're talking, is "cool" at all.

(...nope, how this ever became "a thing" is beyond me)

• Like 1

I wonder -- they're in LA now, right?-- I wonder if the crew could just take Ben or whoever happens to be around some day out into the streets and have them walk up and down the sidewalks while they deliver their intro's and outro's.  Maybe even the beach at Malibu might be nice.  Camera in front of them as they amble along telling us all the movie tidbits they want us to know.  That's what people do in documentaries, and you know they mean business.  

And it just might cut down on all the motion sickness they're causing.

12 minutes ago, brianNH said:

I wonder -- they're in LA now, right?-- I wonder if the crew could just take Ben or whoever happens to be around some day out into the streets and have them walk up and down the sidewalks while they deliver their intro's and outro's.  Maybe even the beach at Malibu might be nice.  Camera in front of them as they amble along telling us all the movie tidbits they want us to know. 

Perhaps ol' Ben and crew can visit the endless tent cities they have in SoCal now.   Hey, Ben! Let's stop talking about compassion and feeding the homeless and start doing it. I would recommend leaving your wallet and wristwatch in the van, though...

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Is that Woodstock on his nose?

You'll hear the tour guides and others around here say this, but I've always just thought of it as the tip of his nose.

(...not that I have anything against Snoopy's little feathered friend here, you understand) ;)

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

You'll hear the tour guides and others around here say this, but I've always just thought of it as the tip of his nose.

(...not that I have anything against Snoopy's little feathered friend here, you understand) ;)

Just so long as it's nothing else.

I haven't read all the comments on this thread, so apologies if already said...

I don't mind change if it serves a purpose. But the changes to the TCM channel format don't make any sense to me.  The previous format provided a cohesive set of of musical "signatures" and visuals that indicated and transitioned to what the viewer was next about to see--whether it be a feature film or one of the various "extras" (profiles, backstories, etc.) TCM has so beautifully and uniquely created. The new format is barely more than a smattering of random sounds and flashing colors.

Branding is important and TCM has trashed its brand, IMHO.  It is now no more esthetically or uniquely recognizable than any of the other hundreds of channels available on cable. I just don't think the channel thought this through. And if they think these changes will bring in more viewers, it won't.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Just keep your eyes on Ben

I really wish I could, but my attention automatically focuses in on the movement and focusing just on him would make me feel like he was trying to help me stay steady on a boat rocking back and forth like no thanks lol🤧

• Haha 1

I haven't watched much since the big changeover. Too much baseball most nights. But what I have seen, I must say I don't find that life-altering. There is some subtle camera movement as opposed to the long-established static shots. But I dont' find it as horrifying or nausea-inducing as the millions of posters on these boards seem to. It strikes me as an incredibly minor stylistic change that can easily be handled.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I haven't watched much since the big changeover. Too much baseball most nights. But what I have seen, I must say I don't find that life-altering. There is some subtle camera movement as opposed to the long-established static shots. But I dont' find it as horrifying or nausea-inducing as the millions of posters on these boards seem to. It strikes me as an incredibly minor stylistic change that can easily be handled.

Yep, nothing that some Dramamine won't fix.  I've seen it, I'm one of the many who will be looking away.  No kidding...

Having said that, the biggy for me is the logo change.  Usually doesn't bode well for a brand.

• Like 2

For me the solution is to close my eyes when Ben does his intro and outro in front of the slowly moving, nausea-inducing eternal crawling of the scenery. If I watch the screen, all I can concentrate on is the motion behind him. So I close my eyes which at least keeps me from talking about how much I hate the constant movement.

Jumping back in to the fray!

To me, the entire "justification" for the logo and graphic changes is a classic "backwards formation."  The design firm went off and created this weak stuff AND THEN came up with a rationale, to wit;  C...., C......, C......., C.........

All of this is just a load of garbage that big ad agencies and design firms create as a way to justify their fees and to make corporate types feel like they are REALLY DOING SOMETHING GREAT!  Bosh!  This includes the invocation of "Technicolor®."  You could just say, loud obnoxious colors --  but it's SO hip to use Technicolor.  I give  them kudos for trying to pull the wool over our eyes, though!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 4:15 PM, overeasy said:

Jumping back in to the fray!

To me, the entire "justification" for the logo and graphic changes is a classic "backwards formation."  The design firm went off and created this weak stuff AND THEN came up with a rationale, to wit;  C...., C......, C......., C.........

All of this is just a load of garbage that big ad agencies and design firms create as a way to justify their fees and to make corporate types feel like they are REALLY DOING SOMETHING GREAT!  Bosh!  This includes the invocation of "Technicolor®."  You could just say, loud obnoxious colors --  but it's SO hip to use Technicolor.  I give  them kudos for trying to pull the wool over our eyes, though!

The "C" is for CRAP.