Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Arch of Triumph" - Exceeded Playing Time and End Missing

NewYorkGuy

I settled down to watch my DVR recording of this well regarded film that was among the network premieres on Ingrid Bergman Day.  Listed as having a 2 hour running time in the monthly schedule, in fact it must have been a version with pieces restored because it exceeded the 2 hr. 15 min. block  allotted for it on Spectrum.

So I'm missing the ending.  I'm not here to ask what happens in "Arch of Triumph" -- I'm going to assume they'll program it again someday -- only to say this happens occasionally and it's really disappointing/irritating.  I don't know whether the issue is with TCM or the cable provider, but it's as irritating as trying to record some of the Saturday morning movies and shorts that run across the blocks allotted to them in the on-screen schedule guide, or Silent Sunday Night shorts that are sometimes cut off in the middle when you try to record to watch later.

Grrrrrr...

I mentionned on another thread i was wondering which version was booked,as the remastered extended version was done in 2013,i programmed my recorder and it was there complete with everything ...movie clocked at 122 minutes and you must add the intro to this,i guess your cable provider made a mistake.

For this very reason, I have my DVR set to pad the recordings 5 minutes pre and 10 minutes post.  It is a permanent setting for all recordings, which I have bumped up here and there as they continue to push the boundaries. 

Depending on DVR specs, adjacent recordings (one movie recorded directly after another) may cause it to start/end on time, with the next recording absorbing the remainder of the program.  It might do this if the DVR can't record multiple programs at the same time.

P.S. Blocks of shorts almost always end up outside of the stated time slots.  It is almost a lost cause.  If I want a particular short, I just schedule everything around it to record as well.

• Like 1

The problem with our Spectrum boxes is that they automatically shut off after several hours if you haven't sent an external signal to them such as a channel change.  So if you've left the house for work one morning you can't program them to record from, say, 3:55 a.m. to 6:30 to ensure capturing a movie that might exceed a 2 hr. 15 min. block like above.  You have to set to record the block before and after, and you're going to have a glitch on either side.   Oh, well.