Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Alfred Newman Inspired My Love of Music in All Its Forms

Frank Writer

I  am sharing here an article I wrote in 2013 for Film Score Monthly about how my discovery of Alfred Newman's film scores when I was a teenager coming of age in the 1950s left an indelible impression on me.  His original scores and musical supervision of film adaptations of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals profoundly inspired my life-long love of music in all its forms.  And as to my favorite Alfred Newman score, it's The Diary of Anne Frank.  Utterly moving.  To this day, I can't shake it from my head.  Enjoy the article and I look forward to your comments. Frank Pagani 

Film Score Daily: How Alfred Newman Inspired My Passion for Music in All Its Forms (filmscoremonthly.com)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Frank Writer said:

I  am sharing here an article I wrote in 2013 for Film Score Monthly about how my discovery of Alfred Newman's film scores when I was a teenager coming of age in the 1950s left an indelible impression on me.  His original scores and musical supervision of film adaptations of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals profoundly inspired my life-long love of music in all its forms.  And as to my favorite Alfred Newman score, it's The Diary of Anne Frank.  Utterly moving.  To this day, I can't shake it from my head.  Enjoy the article and I look forward to your comments. Frank Pagani 

Film Score Daily: How Alfred Newman Inspired My Passion for Music in All Its Forms (filmscoremonthly.com)

First,   I would like to say welcome to this forum.   I just watched Gunga Din on TCM and yea,  the Newman score really enhances the film.     

Very interesting article.     Note that I got into American Studio Era films when I was learning to play jazz guitar.   At first I would try to learn a new jazz standard and would find the film the song was introduce and\or featured in.     As I got more into such films,  I would hear songs I wasn't aware of,  get the sheet music  and learn that song.    

I have a lot of respect for the composer-for-hire that worked during the  studio-era.     The creative process of composing music to fit-what-is-on-screen is something I still don't fully understand;  I.e.   how did they do that,  AND do it so well.    Of course I'm interested in movies with jazz scores.   Was Newman ever involved in one of those?

15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

ALFRED NEWMAN was a monumental film composer and arranger.  He discovered BERNARD HERRMANN

Actually, Orson Welles discovered Bernard Herrmann when he created the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 1937. It produced some of the most extraordinary radio to ever hit the airwaves. Welles’s direction and acting, Bernard Herrmann’s visionary scores and the likes of Joseph Cotten and Agnes Moorehead in supporting roles, combined to produce electrifying renditions of established classics.  In 1941, Welles went to Hollywood with this extraordinary group to produce his masterpiece, Citizen Kane.  That was Herrmann's first film score.  And before Newman collaborated with Herrmann to create the much-overlooked but incredibly haunting score for The Egyptian, Herrmann had already attracted the attention of Alfred Hitchcock.  

1 hour ago, Frank Writer said:

Actually, Orson Welles discovered Bernard Herrmann when he created the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 1937. It produced some of the most extraordinary radio to ever hit the airwaves. Welles’s direction and acting, Bernard Herrmann’s visionary scores and the likes of Joseph Cotten and Agnes Moorehead in supporting roles, combined to produce electrifying renditions of established classics.  In 1941, Welles went to Hollywood with this extraordinary group to produce his masterpiece, Citizen Kane.  That was Herrmann's first film score.  And before Newman collaborated with Herrmann to create the much-overlooked but incredibly haunting score for The Egyptian, Herrmann had already attracted the attention of Alfred Hitchcock.  

I'm sure you're right, but I'm sure I had read somewhere that ALFRED NEWMAN had a hand in getting BERNARD HERRMANN employed at FOX... 

I read this at Wiki today: 

"Music historian Robert R. Faulkner is of the opinion that had Newman not been music director at Twentieth Century Fox, composers such as Bernard Herrmann, Alex North, and David Raksin, all of whose music was somewhat radical, might never have had such major careers in Hollywood."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings