Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Infidelity in the movies

1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

Similar premise in the I Love Lucy episode The Black Wig (S3E26)

Papermoon Loves Lucy — “The Black Wig”

Three's Company reversed this idea in a 1982 episode called "Janet Wigs Out." Joyce DeWitt's character Janet, a brunette, tests the theory that blondes have more fun by wearing a blonde wig.

49A6D990-0542-4121-8279-4ACC59E098C6_1_201_a

• Like 1
On 9/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I just posted about this film on another thread:    TCM showed this when Bergman was featured in SUTS.

Intermezzo (1939) - IMDb

Did it?  In Canada at least it showed the Swedish original.

12 hours ago, DougieB said:

Going along with Swithin's (now SWITHIN) example of the woman being unfaithful, I just (re)watched A Walk on the Moon (1999)...(snip)...I think it's a great example of "the ties that bind" and how they can weather (or not) almost anything. The fact that it's set at a pivotal moment in American culture and history may seem obvious to some, but for me the added resonance was welcome.

I enjoyed this little film and found the ending tender. Maybe it was a little too neat for some viewers but I sympathized - in different ways - with both characters. (To which a lot of credit has to go to Lane & Schreiber’s performances.)

Good soundtrack too - I have the CD.

• Like 1

In The Mother Daniel Craig plays the married boyfriend of Anne Reid's daughter.  When Anne and her husband come to visit the father dies from a heart attack the first night there and Anne feels unwanted by her busy working children.   Craig is building a room onto the posh home, and is the only one who treats her kindly.   They end up having an affair that betrays just about everyone involved.

They don't shy away from the explicit sex scenes,  but it's a thoughtful, well written and beautifully shot film.

• Like 1

The Grass Is Greener (1960) shows well how a caring, wise and very very British gentleman reacts to his wife running off to London for an affair with an American. The entire situation is handled with thought, consideration and pistols at thirty paces.

I feel it strains credibility a bit that any woman married to Cary Grant might feel even the slightest attraction to Robert Mitchum but there is no accounting for taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, SansFin said:

The Grass Is Greener (1960) shows well how a caring, wise and very very British gentleman reacts to his wife running off to London for an affair with an American. The entire situation is handled with thought, consideration and pistols at thirty paces.

I feel it strains credibility a bit that any woman married to Cary Grant might feel even the slightest attraction to Robert Mitchum but there is no accounting for taste.

One of our go to movies.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Interesting topic which could be explored myriad ways.  I first thought of AN UNMARRIED WOMAN (1978)  a movie I like... 

Unmarried_woman.jpg

An Unmarried Woman is an excellent movie and a good example of changing attitudes in the 1970's toward women being single and independent.  It is heartbreaking when the wife (played wonderfully by Jill Clayburgh) is told by her husband about his affair through his fake tears while they walk down the street.  The wife was very married and now her whole life is upended.  I like the end of the movie when she finally transitions to being independent and carries a huge painting awkwardly down the street by herself.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, txfilmfan said:

Similar premise in the I Love Lucy episode The Black Wig (S3E26)

Papermoon Loves Lucy — “The Black Wig”

This episode is hilarious.   It's one of my favorites.

My favorite part of this episode is the scene prior to this when Ricky walks into the beauty shop (where Lucy obtained her "Italian Look" get-up) and sees the bald mannequin head (that was wearing Lucy's wig) and sees the sign that says "How Would You Like to Look Like This?" and Ricky asks the beauty shop owner, "Is this what we have to look forward to next season?" That part always cracks me up. 

Watched Shampoo not too long ago and Beatty's character, while not married himself, runs around on a few women he is 'seeing' and sleeps with plenty of married women.  Beatty gets his comeuppance but noticed that a few of the married women who cheat are almost justified by their actions because their husbands are portrayed as sleazy characters. 

• Like 1

A little noticed film, JUST BETWEEN FRIENDS, had Ted Danson cheating on Mary Tyler Moore with Christine Lahti.

(SPOILERS ALERT):

The guy is an idiot, not only for cheating on his wife, but also wanting to go on seeing Lahti even after he sees that his wife has unknowingly struck up a friendship with her. 

Plus the movie, albeit however unintentionally, sends out the message that it was alright for him to cheat on Moore, because somehow Lahti was more 'exciting' to him than Moore's suburban housewife.

Not only that but it has Moore and Lahti patching their friendship up after he's killed off AND after Lahti has given birth to his child. While I can see Moore's character eventually being forgiving, what I can't grasp is their going back to being BFFs after that. 

I actually used to like the movie a bit when I was a teen, but re-watching it many years later, it just struck me as a rather hollow movie that goes out of its way to give  adultery a free pass.