Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Labor Day Everybody

To you as well, David.   Yes, the MDA Telethon. Every year when I was a kid. Back in the 1970s, 24 hour programming didn't really exist Combine all-night programming with a holiday weekend, and weeeee! I stayed up as long as I could. At that age, there was something almost mystical about today becoming tomorrow without a nap between.

Man, the Jerry Lewis telethons!

I had always planned on some year staying up for all the hours it would be on, but sadly, circumstances prevented it and by the time those circumstances were no longer a factor, Jerry got too old and the telethons faded away. 

My Labor Day was OK.  Spent it at my sister in law's house and for the first ime in 35 years finally won a game of Mexican bingo and Right, Left, Center.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I never watched the telethon. While I appreciate Jerry Lewis’ intent with the telethon, I’ve never been a fan of his films. So watching hours of him didnt seem appealing.

As for my Labor Day, really a 4-day Labor Day weekend, I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with my husband. We went to the zoo and out to dinner where an accordionist was providing entertainment. I heard an accordion version of “Beyond the Sea” and the theme from the first Super Mario NES game. 

On Saturday, my husband and I saw “Jailhouse Rock” at the theater then went to a metal show and saw Megadeth. 

On Sunday, we had our first day of our beginner’s pottery class then my parents came up for dinner. 

Yesterday, my board game group came over and we played games all day. 

• Like 2

I volunteered for extra load so that two people with families would not have to be on-call. Such holidays usually have light activity and so I ended up doing slightly less than twice the normal load. It was all very routine.

I have heard of the Jerry Lewis Telethon but I have never had an opportunity to watch it. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

As for my Labor Day, really a 4-day Labor Day weekend, I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with my husband.

Congratulations on your anniversary! I hope that you are very happy.

We will soon have our seventh. I have learned that traditional gifts are copper and wool so I will give him a penny and a pair of socks.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Congratulations on your anniversary! I hope that you are very happy.

We will soon have our seventh. I have learned that traditional gifts are copper and wool so I will give him a penny and a pair of socks.

Thank you! My husband and I have known each other since the 10th grade (22 years ago) and have been together for 16. The traditional 10-year gift is apparently aluminum. My mom got us a new 12-pot coffee maker with a built in one-cup Keriug—figuring that was close enough. Lol. 

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank you! My husband and I have known each other since the 10th grade (22 years ago) and have been together for 16. The traditional 10-year gift is apparently aluminum. My mom got us a new 12-pot coffee maker with a built in one-cup Keriug—figuring that was close enough. Lol. 

Today (September 7th),  is my 24th wedding anniversary.         But we really have two:  one where we were official married here in the USA in a very small US family setting,  and the other on the 21st where we went to Italy and were married in her hometown where I was welcomed like  Patton was in the film when he entered Italy.   E.g.  Many people out on their balconies throwing flowers  and filling up the streets outside the 800 year old church.     

• Like 4

I seem to remember that during the telethon they would have breaks for local stations where local

"talent" would perform. That's when things became entertaining. I feel a bit guilty for going outside

yesterday and doing a little weeding and hedge clipping. I came back in and had a few stiff drinks to

make sure I didn't go out again later in the day.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Today (September 7th),  is my 24th wedding anniversary.         But we really have two:  one where we were official married here in the USA in a very small US family setting,  and the other on the 21st where we went to Italy and were married in her hometown where I was welcomed like  Patton was in the film when he entered Italy.   E.g.  Many people out on their balconies throwing flowers  and filling up the streets outside the 800 year old church.          

Congratulations on your anniversary! I do hope you realize that you will be expected to create a very special celebration next year. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I seem to remember that during the telethon they would have breaks for local stations where local

"talent" would perform. That's when things became entertaining. I feel a bit guilty for going outside

yesterday and doing a little weeding and hedge clipping. I came back in and had a few stiff drinks to

make sure I didn't go out again later in the day.

They did.  When I was a kid, we had stations from 4 different TV markets, and each one had their own local coverage.  It was interesting to see how different they were.

My brother was a news anchor for one of our local stations at the time, and they would get pressed into service for the telethon.  We would go to the studios to watch for a few hours (my Mom was volunteering as well).   I wonder if MDA is getting as many donations as they were when the telethon was active.  They don't advertise on TV to solicit funds year-round (like St. Jude's or Shriners).

On 9/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, David Guercio said:

Happy Labor Day Everybody.  Hey.  Did everybody watch the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon every year?

I used to watch telethons. My friends and I (as teens) went to the Jerry Lewis Telethon. It was held that year at the Americana Hotel on 53rd Street/7th Avenue. We were allowed to stay for an hour or two, sitting at a big round table. Then we had to leave, so that other people could come in. They collected donations from the audience as well.

I think, in terms of performance, I preferred the Steve & Eydie/Dennis James/James Pickens telethon. 

And I vaguely remember enjoying the Martha Raye Telethon.

25 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Congratulations on your anniversary! I do hope you realize that you will be expected to create a very special celebration next year. 

Oh,  yes.     She is already planning it and assuming things are back to "normal" it will be a major bash with at least 70 people.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

They did.  When I was a kid, we had stations from 4 different TV markets, and each one had their own local coverage.  It was interesting to see how different they were.

My brother was a news anchor for one of our local stations at the time, and they would get pressed into service for the telethon.  We would go to the studios to watch for a few hours (my Mom was volunteering as well).   I wonder if MDA is getting as many donations as they were when the telethon was active.  They don't advertise on TV to solicit funds year-round (like St. Jude's or Shriners).

Glad my memory is still functioning. It's been a long time. The local segments were rather amateurish, at

least compared to Jerry's, which made them kind of extra entertaining. I'd watch it for a while, but it got

repetitive rather quickly, though it was done for a good cause. Yes, I recall that many of the local station

on-air talent would be there too. 

1st......

Congratulations to all who celebrated anniversaries over the weekend.   I still acknowledge ours as I still consider us being married.  ;) 

And I believe the best anniversary gift a man can give his wife is to remember the damn thing!  ;) 

2nd......

What I remember most about the "local" segments of the Jerry Lewis telethons is that the contributions acknowledged from the "blue collar/working class" communities were noticeably higher than the contributions from the more affluent suburbs.   :huh:  That and the ever present Red Garter Band from The Red Garter Saloon, a popular Detroit watering hole in the late '60's-'70's. 

Sepiatone