Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Big Trail" (1930)

HollywoodGolightly

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> This could be one of them. If you are so concerned about it and their motives, post the question where they are likely to see it and best answer it.

Just to clarify, I didn't bring up the question in the first place. Although I'm a bit curious, I'll probably just read what those who attend the screening might have to say about it, if they are willing to share.

*Just to clarify, I didn't bring up the question in the first place*

No you weren't but you were the one making the comments and suggesting that someone from TCM answer the question.

I only suggested that you pose the question in the forum set up for questions like that instead of implying that they are somehow doing a bait and switch with the print they will be screening.

> I only suggested that you pose the question in the forum set up for questions like that instead of implying that they are somehow doing a bait and switch with the print they will be screening.

Lynn, with all due respect, I have never implied that TCM is "doing a bait and switch". NEVER.

All I said is that I don't really know which is the source of the print that is going to be shown at the Festival, because apparently there has been a restored print shown in the 80s, and yet their description of the movie calls it a "premiere".

So, at best, it is a bit confusing to me. Still, I am not saying that TCM is promising one thing and planning to show something other than what they promised, which is what would amount to a "bait and switch". Therefore, I feel you have somewhat misrepresented what I said.

Please do not be so over-defensive of TCM that you don't clearly understand what someone has actually said.

I don't know exactly what print is going to be shown, what the original source of the print is. I'm sure TCM might explain that a bit further at some point. I have never accused TCM of promising something for the festival without the intention of living up to it. I did however, point out how unlikely it is that they would do that, and that there would definitely be bad press if they (or anybody else for that matter) promised to show a brand-new restoration and showed something else instead.

If someone is so interested in this as to pose the question to the TCM folks, that might clear things up. I'm not that interested that I couldn't wait until there are further details available.

*Please do not be so over-defensive of TCM that you don't clearly understand what someone has actually said.*

If I am coming off as "overly defensive", it is a two-way street. Perhaps you could be a bit more careful about how your posts read in such matters because without being able to talk in person, you sometimes come off as combative about the Film Fe$tival.

> If I am coming off as "overly defensive", it is a two-way street. Perhaps you could be a bit more careful about how your posts read in such matters because without being able to talk in person, you sometimes come off as combative about the Film Fe$tival.

I've already explained this once, why do I have to explain it again? All I've said in regards to The Big Trail showing at the TCM Film Festival is that TCM's description calls this restoration a "premiere", but that I do not have any further information (such as, in _what year_ was this restoration completed?).

Now, I do not see anything even remotely "combative" about saying that I don't know any more about a movie showing at a specific film festival, than the information the festival organizers themselves have released publicly. The only thing I'm saying is that I don't know enough about it, because the information hasn't been released yet.

When it comes to big-bucks film festivals, I think people do have a right to as much information as is humanly possible to release. I'm not criticizing TCM for not having said more about The Big Trail because maybe it didn't occur to them.

If it helps any, this is what the festival section of the TCM website currently says:

THE BIG TRAIL (1930), 80TH anniversary screening of the Raoul Walsh classic western, featuring John Wayne's first leading role, restored by MOMA

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#filmsSub

It merely says it is an 80th anniversary screen and that it was restored by MOMA. So the website doesn't say it is a brand new restoration or a premiere.

And in the video on the website (which is the most recent promo on TV, I think), Robert Osborne says, "Attend presentations of historical prints of seldom-seen films like the pre-code classic Sunnyside Up, The Story of Temple Drake, and The Big Trail, starring John Wayne in his first leading role."

It's probably a simple explanation. For example, when you watch certain silent films on TCM, you'll see credit given to Kevin Brownlow for having done the restoration. When you see VERTIGO or REAR WINDOW, there's the extra at the end that credits the team headed by Robert Harris that restored the films back in the 80s.

It may just be required for MoMA to be credited with the restoration. As I said earlier, I've seen it and it looks great - they do deserve the accolades as we would not be seeing it at all without their efforts.

Actually, I responded to you as a fellow neutral observer. As it's heating up around here, I didn't want to appear to be taking sides.

I should have been more clear about that.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> I should have been more clear about that.

I don't know if there's anything to "take sides" about. The TCM press release said it was a "premiere" and this raised a few questions.

Personally, it's all the same to me. But the folks who are planning to attend might want to have more information about it.

That's all, really. Nothing to make a federal case about.

>>The TCM press release said it was a "premiere" and this raised a few questions.

Maybe it's like the "TCM premieres" that we get now and then on the channel.

Yeah, that's the ticket - it's a TCM Film Festival Premiere. :)

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, that's the ticket - it's a TCM Film Festival Premiere. :)

Ah, but if that were the case, then everything they showed would be a quote-unquote "premiere". ;)

I think for purposes of film festivals it is usually accepted that a premiere is one that hasn't been shown in any other film festival, or any other public venue.

>>I think for purposes of film festivals it is usually accepted that a premiere is one that hasn't been shown in any other film festival, or any other public venue.

It will be interesting to see if this is merely the equivalent of an on-air flub, or if MoMA actually had reason to restore the film again. I don't recall reading if any additional footage was found, but it has been claimed that the film ran 158 minutes in its 70mm premiere. The one that I saw was just over two hours, as is the DVD.

The original "Variety" review is of a 125 minute film, but it does cite the Grandeur process.

The TCM person in charge of answering questions about the festival has replied to my question in the Q&A section of the TCM Festival forum:

> {quote:title=TCMFilmFestival wrote:}{quote}

> HollywoodGolightly,

>

> An error has been made in our description of the film- you are correct, the film is not a premiere. Thank you for contacting us concerning this information.

>

> TCMFF