Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny thing...

I saw Xanadu when it was in the theaters back in the summer of 1980. I was visiting a close friend in North Carolina and one day we decided to go for pizza in a neighboring town and then we had the choice of seeing Caddyshack or Xanadu. I wanted to see Caddyshack, but my friend who was somewhat religious did not want to go see an "R" rated picture. So we went to see Xanadu. Have to say I was entertained, especially that final big dance number with Olivia Newton-John wearing the tall cowgirl boots... So was my friend. She went out the next day looking for a pair like what Olivia wore, but alas she could not find that style...

282ae34d20456a010b86e7dbbd452ca82d277a59.jpg

• Like 5

Hmmm.  With a little bit of clever editing, I think I can imagine "Xanadu" and "Caddyshack" put together into one extraordinary gasser of a movie!

(Oh, FXReyman, I wish your friend all the best of luck in her continued search for those boots)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brianNH said:

Hmmm.  With a little bit of clever editing, I think I can imagine "Xanadu" and "Caddyshack" put together into one extraordinary gasser of a movie!

(Oh, FXReyman, I wish your friend all the best of luck in her continued search for those boots)

Well, I wished she really could. Unfortunately she passed away in 2004 from Ovarian Cancer. Nancy was my girlfriend in 8th grade and then we sort of stopped being boyfriend/girlfriend after I moved away from North Carolina in 1975. We kept in touch through high school and during my first college spring break I drove from Chicago to her home in NC to visit. The next year (1980) I visited once again and that is when we went to see Xanadu. She eventually married and had two wonderful children, but was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 2002 and sadly passed away in 2004. I still miss her. The photo below is of me and Nancy in 1980. Wow, did I have a lot of hair then... She of course was beautiful!!!

Geeze, 41 years ago......

1326570533_NancyTwo2.thumb.jpeg.e5d0275ccc03ef8282c8f1d4ad825b98.jpeg

• Sad 3
13 minutes ago, brianNH said:

My, what a lovely couple.  I am so very sad and sorry that you lost her.   But I am happy for you for the time you had with her.  God bless you both.

Brian

Thank you!!! Yes she was lovely. One of the nice things to happen after her passing was that I was able to communicate regularly with her mother. I still am in contact with her to this day, usually on FaceBook. At the time of my first visit on my first spring break in college (spring of 1979) Nancy was engaged to a fellow four years older than she was. At that time and I am sure in different parts of the country even today, many young women get married just out of high school and start having children.

I remember telling Nancy during that first visit that she had some very good years ahead of her and that she should try and go to college and see what if anything she could find as far as some sort of career path and not to get married right away. After coming home, a few weeks later I received a letter from her telling me she had broken off her engagement and had enrolled in a junior college near her home. I must have had some  influence over her.

And what was really funny was that during that visit in a quiet moment with her mother, she told me that she wished that parents could select their daughter's husbands for them. And that if given the chance she would have selected me.

The poem from Robert Frost has real meaning to me as far as Nancy was concerned...

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

Although in my case had I taken the other road, I would have ended up with Nancy. Ah well, maybe in my next lifetime....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, brianNH said:

My word, sometimes it's simply heartbreaking to be human.  

Yes I agree!

I am now going through heartbreaking moments with my wife Annie.

We have been married for almost 24 years now and out of those 24 years she has had 21 years of major health issues. Diagnosed with Lupus three years after we were married, she had to medically retire from doing the one job she loved the most... being a Hospice Case Manager. She had been in nursing for many years but the last ten as part of Hospice really allowed her to grow and prosper as a medical professional.

What followed was many hospitalizations including knee, shoulder and both ankle replacement surgeries. She has had to deal with Osteonecrosis which is a painful and debilitating bone condition, a paralyzed diaphragm brought on by Lupus, Sjögren syndrome which causes the body to loose moisture and drys up skins and glands. Since childhood, she has had epilepsy although through years of medication that has been pretty much abated.

Because of her collapsed diaphragm she is on oxygen 24/7.

So she has had many health related hospitalizations and has had to endure months away from home in physical rehab. It is really weird that out of five children, and she is the middle child, she has had all of these medical issues while her older brother and sister and two younger sisters have never had any medical issues at all.

Annie and Rey.jpg

• Thanks 2
57 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Yes I agree!

I am now going through heartbreaking moments with my wife Annie.

We have been married for almost 24 years now and out of those 24 years she has had 21 years of major health issues. Diagnosed with Lupus three years after we were married, she had to medically retire from doing the one job she loved the most... being a Hospice Case Manager. She had been in nursing for many years but the last ten as part of Hospice really allowed her to grow and prosper as a medical professional.

What followed was many hospitalizations including knee, shoulder and both ankle replacement surgeries. She has had to deal with Osteonecrosis which is a painful and debilitating bone condition, a paralyzed diaphragm brought on by Lupus, Sjögren syndrome which causes the body to loose moisture and drys up skins and glands. Since childhood, she has had epilepsy although through years of medication that has been pretty much abated.

Because of her collapsed diaphragm she is on oxygen 24/7.

So she has had many health related hospitalizations and has had to endure months away from home in physical rehab. It is really weird that out of five children, and she is the middle child, she has had all of these medical issues while her older brother and sister and two younger sisters have never had any medical issues at all.

Annie and Rey.jpg

Probably too much info, but have any of your wife's siblings worked in the medical field?  In particular in a role where they interact directly with patients?

On 9/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, Sepiatone said:

Either way, If for some reason(like gun to my head?)  I ever wound up watching one or the other, it would definitely have to be with the sound muted!  B)

Sepiatone

Neither movie would be in my top 100 of classics (or even my top 10,000 for that matter), but ROLLER BOOGIE held a kind of crude charm that pulled me in as a teen.

It was nice to see Linda Blair in a non-possessed-by-the-devil role, and it was interesting to see Mark Goddard as a bad guy. Of course to this day, his closest claim to fame is still as Major Don West in the 60's TV sci-fi show LOST IN SPACE.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Probably too much info, but have any of your wife's siblings worked in the medical field?  In particular in a role where they interact directly with patients?

Well, maybe for you, but I am a fairly minded open book type of person so I have no problem sharing some personal info. I have done so in the past here on the boards. It's not as if I am sharing financial info. I just think sharing personal info comparing what my wife and I have to go through to my close friend who passed away years ago is doing no harm. Just MHO.

None of my wife's siblings have ever worked in the health field. Although her next to youngest sister's husband is a pharmacist. Unfortunately, he thinks he knows everything and tries to tell my wife the drugs she should be taking, or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Well, maybe for you, but I am a fairly minded open book type of person so I have no problem sharing some personal info. I have done so in the past here on the boards. It's not as if I am sharing financial info. I just think sharing personal info comparing what my wife and I have to go through to my close friend who passed away years ago is doing no harm. Just MHO.

None of my wife's siblings have ever worked in the health field. Although her next to youngest sister's husband is a pharmacist. Unfortunately, he thinks he knows everything and tries to tell my wife the drugs she should be taking, or not.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to corroborate some things for myself, and I appreciate your openness and genuine response which is useful to me.

I'm sorry to hear of this and I wish the two of you the best in your difficult times.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Sounds like my older brother. He thinks he knows everything about everything and has the right to tell us what we should do or not do. Love him, but sheesh he can be too much at times.

• Like 2

Reyman- those photos of you are just adorable! Thank you for sharing. Your wife is absolutely lovely! 

I borrowed Xanadu from the library & was fully entertained-similar to early Busby Berkeley musical fluff. Movies like that & Roller Boogie are at least fascinating time capsules.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, fxreyman said:

Well, I wished she really could. Unfortunately she passed away in 2004 from Ovarian Cancer. Nancy was my girlfriend in 8th grade and then we sort of stopped being boyfriend/girlfriend after I moved away from North Carolina in 1975. We kept in touch through high school and during my first college spring break I drove from Chicago to her home in NC to visit. The next year (1980) I visited once again and that is when we went to see Xanadu. She eventually married and had two wonderful children, but was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 2002 and sadly passed away in 2004. I still miss her. The photo below is of me and Nancy in 1980. Wow, did I have a lot of hair then... She of course was beautiful!!!

Geeze, 41 years ago......

1326570533_NancyTwo2.thumb.jpeg.e5d0275ccc03ef8282c8f1d4ad825b98.jpeg

Sorry you lost your long time friend.  Personally, I hate when that happens.  And at my age it happens too often to accept.

And I at least would have hoped you'd have lost those dweebie Buddy Holly spec frames before your friend. (I finally lost my Buddy Holly frames in the early '70's)  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sorry you lost your long time friend.  Personally, I hate when that happens.  And at my age it happens too often to accept.

And I at least would have hoped you'd have lost those dweebie Buddy Holly spec frames before your friend. (I finally lost my Buddy Holly frames in the early '70's)  ;) 

Sepiatone

Thanks. Yes those were discarded years ago for much thinner frames. Of course in addition to adding thinner frames I have added additional weight to my overall frame. Stuff like that happens when you sit a lot in front of the TV and the computer writing stuff like this and watching movies.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Thanks. Yes those were discarded years ago for much thinner frames. Of course in addition to adding thinner frames I have added additional weight to my overall frame. Stuff like that happens when you sit a lot in front of the TV and the computer writing stuff like this and watching movies.

I've observed it this way....

The thinner my hair gets, the thicker my middle becomes.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

About these frequent spots where the hosts slaver over each other telling us how great they are  - it's becoming pathetic.   A little of this goes a long way, but as usual they overdo it.  SHOW us, don't TELL us.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

About these frequent spots where the hosts slaver over each other telling us how great they are  - it's becoming pathetic.   A little of this goes a long way, but as usual they overdo it.  SHOW us, don't TELL us.

I saw one of those,  and it was fine fluff (not necessary but not to annoying),  but again,  that was only one.     I wonder how many of these spots they have recorded and thus how many there will be.

5 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

They aren't great.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I saw one of those,  and it was fine fluff (not necessary but not to annoying),  but again,  that was only one.     I wonder how many of these spots they have recorded and thus how many there will be.

I need to change the channel more often because these spots have already become annoying.  There's a few different ones and repeated ad nauseum.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These things have been running for some time, I think.  I just leave the room when they come on anymore, because for all their gibber-jabber they really don't inform me of much of anything before or after the movies they show.  Most of what I hear them say I can read from IMDB, so how much effort are they or some staff putting into all this?  Do they all have day jobs at Target or some place so they can only do the film stuff at night?  

Muller is fascinating, but only when he sticks to noir.  When they put him on with other people, I've noticed he takes a bit of a back seat to them.  I don't think he seems to be as enthusiastic about the "conversations" the others are diving in to have.  

I keep expecting them to announce some terrific new initiative which brings this woefully uninspired  roll-out to a satisfying climax.  I'll keep an eye out for it, just in cast they come up with something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I need to change the channel more often because these spots have already become annoying.  There's a few different ones and repeated ad nauseum.  

Well I guess the only saving grace is that at least these are not being replaced with commercials hawking 3rd  party products.    I.e. these are fillers so a film can start on the hour or half-hour.      I've been watching PBS's Create network;  they show mainly 30 minute T.V. shows that were originally created for commercial T.V.  and thus  the actual program is around 20 minutes.  The host will say something like "we are talking  a break and when we get back, the roast will be done",  but there is no break (other than a one second showing of the show's title screen),  and back to the program.       This leaves 9 minutes of dead-time before the next show starts.      Dead-time it truly is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, brianNH said:

These things have been running for some time, I think.  I just leave the room when they come on anymore, because for all their gibber-jabber they really don't inform me of much of anything before or after the movies they show.  Most of what I hear them say I can read from IMDB, so how much effort are they or some staff putting into all this?  Do they all have day jobs at Target or some place so they can only do the film stuff at night?  

Muller is fascinating, but only when he sticks to noir.  When they put him on with other people, I've noticed he takes a bit of a back seat to them.  I don't think he seems to be as enthusiastic about the "conversations" the others are diving in to have.  

I keep expecting them to announce some terrific new initiative which brings this woefully uninspired  roll-out to a satisfying climax.  I'll keep an eye out for it, just in cast they come up with something.

I think you're spot on there.  Especially so with Muller.  I'm of the opinion he does his own multimedia in his segments and always has, because the others segments haven't been and aren't of the same production standard.  Then when he goes on with other hosts, as you say, he takes back seat to them.  I'd like to think that is because he is a gentleman.  Though he might have some dark secrets of his own.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1