Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As far as I can remember, those spots were started quite a long time ago.  I got real tired of them real fast.  Maybe some guy has convinced the higher-ups that these things are needed, but they are really ticking a lot of people off.  I think it would be different if the hosts actually demonstrated that they have knowledge of  and interest in the movies they are presenting.  RO always had interesting little tidbits-bits to share, but today's host -- Mankiewicz included -- seem to be reading  ill-prepared scripts cribbed from IMDB articles.  

If you are going to promote yourselves as "The place to go" for film enlightenment, then you'd better have the goods and deliver.  So far, I haven't seen it.

AS I'm typing this the 1966 made-in-Florida movie DEATH CURSE OF TARTU is airing.  Filmed in and around The Everglades before the state of FL grew insanely population-wise (I was born in WPB, FL in 1973, btw). 

I believe the director, WILLIAM GREFE, is still alive.  Think he's 91 or so.   TCM ought to interview him while he's still around!  (TCM has aired "Death Curse of Tartu" before so this is not a 'Premiere').  

• Thanks 1

Let not forget the incessant promotion of the TCM Wine Club (though this seems to have ceased, at least for now, or I've just gotten lucky lately. )  It seems like TCM used to run those annoying promos twenty times a day. Good grief! Who cares?? If you're a wine connoisseur, you're not buying that wine, and if you just like to drink wine, the selection at your local bottle shop or grocery store will suffice. Oh, wait, it's got a picture of Bela Lugosi on the label. Well, that's different, I suppose. 🙄

• Like 1

Ha! I had actually forgotten about Backlot. Now, I'll have to forget about it again. 😁

Why not a TCM Weed Club? They could roll it out (he he) starting with a fine, dank Robert Mitchum, follow it up with a Woody Harrelson. I can see it now: The Bong of the Month Club...

Perhaps offer Ziegfeld Zig Zags as swag for your bag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other thing I remember is all the people TOM goaded into doing promotional spots for the Merch Store!  Interviewing fans who were supposed to be having fabulous movie night parties, and -- surprise, surprise -- each one absolutely had to have a popcorn popper and a blanket.  Seriously, no gala event down on Sycamore St. in Morgan's Creek would be complete without a TCM blanket!  Good grief.  Thankfully, those spots came and went relatively quickly.

So all those poor souls with their VIP badges, autograph books, and exuberance for suggestions are just milling about the back gate waiting for Karger to show up with the keys to let them in after so many, many months?  Unfortunately the TCM Merch store has no "prepper" literature instructing how much Alan Ladd Gewurtztraminer to load up on.  Or how many popcorn poppers needed to feed near infinite multitudes of snack-starved fans.  My only hope is that the TCM Logo'ed (Old one by the way) blankets can be rationed to the most efficient and productive use possible during these cool, cool nights under the stars.  

And I was thinking of joining this year.  Rats!

14 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Let not forget the incessant promotion of the TCM Wine Club (though this seems to have ceased, at least for now, or I've just gotten lucky lately. )  It seems like TCM used to run those annoying promos twenty times a day. Good grief! Who cares?? If you're a wine connoisseur, you're not buying that wine, and if you just like to drink wine, the selection at your local bottle shop or grocery store will suffice. Oh, wait, it's got a picture of Bela Lugosi on the label. Well, that's different, I suppose. 🙄

Bela Lugosi?  Is it even meant for human consumption?  Brings to mind horrific images of an old bottle of Chlordane.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/chlordane-bottle.jpeg

All jokes aside though, it's probably very good wine to begin with.

1 hour ago, brianNH said:

So all those poor souls with their VIP badges, autograph books, and exuberance for suggestions are just milling about the back gate waiting for Karger to show up with the keys to let them in after so many, many months?  Unfortunately the TCM Merch store has no "prepper" literature instructing how much Alan Ladd Gewurtztraminer to load up on.  Or how many popcorn poppers needed to feed near infinite multitudes of snack-starved fans.  My only hope is that the TCM Logo'ed (Old one by the way) blankets can be rationed to the most efficient and productive use possible during these cool, cool nights under the stars.  

And I was thinking of joining this year.  Rats!

What were they thinking with that logo change.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-question-mark-guy.jpg

• Haha 1