Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deep In the Heart of Texas

New parents get KICKED OUT of Texas restaurant for wearing masks: Owner defends no-mask policy despite couple saying they wore face coverings to protect their son who has cystic fibrosis

New parents wearing masks to protect immunocompromised son get kicked out of Texas

Natalie Wester said she and her husband, Jose, were asked to leave Hang Time in Rowlett, Texas on September 11 because they wore face coverings to protect their immunocompromised son. There are no signs informing customers about the policy, so the hostess tells everyone wearing a mask to take it off when they enter. Wester said she did not hear the request due to the ambient noise, and she and her husband went to sit down when a waitress once again told them to take off their masks or leave. The owner, Tom, is now defending the policy, saying his restaurant is a private business and he has the right to refuse service.

• Sad 2
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

New parents get KICKED OUT of Texas restaurant for wearing masks: Owner defends no-mask policy despite couple saying they wore face coverings to protect their son who has cystic fibrosis

New parents wearing masks to protect immunocompromised son get kicked out of Texas

Natalie Wester said she and her husband, Jose, were asked to leave Hang Time in Rowlett, Texas on September 11 because they wore face coverings to protect their immunocompromised son. There are no signs informing customers about the policy, so the hostess tells everyone wearing a mask to take it off when they enter. Wester said she did not hear the request due to the ambient noise, and she and her husband went to sit down when a waitress once again told them to take off their masks or leave. The owner, Tom, is now defending the policy, saying his restaurant is a private business and he has the right to refuse service.

Ah yes, just as his predecesors in TX used to claim the right to refuse service to Blacks and Hispanics.  Fortunately I have not experienced this even in the reddest parts of ultra-red South Carolina.

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Ah yes, just as his predecesors in TX used to claim the right to refuse service to Blacks and Hispanics.  Fortunately I have not experienced this even in the reddest parts of ultra-red South Carolina.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

They wanted to protect their kid, so they took him to a mask-free environment. 

Must be Canadians.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Must be Canadians.

No, they are Americans and probably Texans.  They just assumed that they would have the FREEDOM to wear a mask if they so chose.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Must be Canadians.

You should read the article.  Their son was at home, a newborn with CF.  They were out with friends, weren't aware of the mask policy until they got there.  They paid their bill and left after being informed of the policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ElCid said:

No, they are Americans and probably Texans.  They just assumed that they would have the FREEDOM to wear a mask if they so chose.

They do. Just not at Tom's. But of they are worried about the kid, why ... skip it. Looks like defendant shopping. 

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You should read the article.  Their son was at home, a newborn with CF.  They were out with friends, weren't aware of the mask policy until they got there.  They paid their bill and left after being informed of the policy.

An. All's well that ends well. 

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I read it.  Appears it is strictly a political issue for the owner of the business.  Would he tell someone wearing an I got vaccinated button or a Biden for President button that he would not serve them?  Appears to be discrimination to me.

Apparently they had to leave before getting their full meal.

From the article: 

• [owner] said in an interview his restaurant is a private business and he has the right to refuse service to any customer
  • [owner] also said he feels mask wearing is an overreaction in America and said he will continue to enforce his rule
10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I read it.  Appears it is strictly a political issue for the owner of the business.  Would he tell someone wearing an I got vaccinated button or a Biden for President button that he would not serve them?  Appears to be discrimination to me.

Well duh. Of course it's discrimination. It's not illegal. 

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Is there a any world where it is illegal? (For a business to refuse service to people covering their faces.)

It would be illegal to refuse service to someone covering their face for religious reasons.   

1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It would be illegal to refuse service to someone covering their face for religious reasons.   

So the couple could say they believe in Science, which tells them they must wear masks when not eating or drinking in public? That's crazy.

(Trial lawyer: Maybe it's just crazy enough to work.)

16 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

So the couple could say they believe in Science, which tells them they must wear masks when not eating or drinking in public? That's crazy.

(Trial lawyer: Maybe it's just crazy enough to work.)

The couple could say they are Muslim.   

As an atheist I find all religions exceptions as "crazy",     but they are allowed in many areas,  especially in the Red-States:  states with a high percentage of myth believers.