Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NIGHTMARE ALLEY, starring Errol Flynn

25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

5a2bd356e7650c181ef776872cbcfc08.jpg

Pretty sure that that's Errol's third and final wife Patrice Wymore, Tom.

(...married 1950-1959 and his death)

Thanks, Dargo. However, that lady looks like an older woman than Pat Wymore to me. Besides Flynn met her in 1950 (after he made Kim) and that photo looks like a late 40s Errol to me. He was starting to look a bit worn by 1950 though I admit he looks pretty good in the pix below with her.

Patrice Wymore Flynn dies at 87; actress, widow of Errol Flynn - Los  Angeles Times

1 hour ago, Judith laucka said:
  1. It’s not Bev. It’s Danielee Parola

While vacation in Cannes, Hollywood's stars often get together at Da...  News Photo - Getty Images

photo Danièle PAROLA

Thanks very much for identifying the lady in the picture, Judith. I never heard of Danielee Parola, a French film actress, but she was quite the stunner, looking very much here like the lady beside Flynn.

Bonus points to you, Judith, for having this knowledge and sharing it with us. As you earlier stated it looks like the Flynn-Power photo was taken in Cannes in September, 1949. The restaurant was Da Bouttea's, according to a source I found.

Power and Christian, by the way, had been married in January of the same year as this photo.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/canes-france-while-vacation-in-cannes-hollywoods-stars-news-photo/514702646

6 minutes ago, Judith laucka said:

I must credit my friend Selene who researches all thing Errol. I ran this by her and she identified the actress f me

Well, please thank your friend, Selene, for helping to solve the mystery of the beautiful lady in the photo. Clearly she knows her Flynn stuff. But also thanks for passing it along, Judith.

1 hour ago, Judith laucka said:

I must credit my friend Selene who researches all thing Errol. I ran this by her and she identified the actress f me

Judith, you might ask your friend if she has ever heard what happened to Flynn's "lost Oscar" nomination for The Sun Also Rises. There is an audio tape of an early 1958 interview Flynn had with Tony Thomas in which he congratulated Errol for just getting nominated for the Academy Award and Flynn responded, "Yes, that's really something, isn't it? I never thought it would happen to me." And then, puff, his nomination disappeared. I've never heard an explanation for this little known bizarre incident. An Oscar nomination would have meant a lot to Flynn, frequently knocked by the critics. By the way, while making that film, the always graciousTy Power predicted Flynn would get a nomination.

Hamlette's Soliloquy: "The Sun Also Rises" (1957) -- Initial Thoughts and  Giveaway!

B ung ho, old boy!

• Like 1

In MARY OF SCOTLAND, it would have been cool to see Bette Davis as Queen Elizabeth in that one, if only to see that one standout scene between her and Katharine Hepburn's Mary Stuart.

For that one scene alone, I would have loved to have seen my two favorite actresses engage in such a challenging, verbal duel. Would have made the confrontation all the more dramatic.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Judith, you might ask your friend if she has ever heard what happened to Flynn's "lost Oscar" nomination for The Sun Also Rises. There is an audio tape of an early 1958 interview Flynn had with Tony Thomas in which he congratulated Errol for just getting nominated for the Academy Award and Flynn responded, "Yes, that's really something, isn't it? I never thought it would happen to me." And then, puff, his nomination disappeared. I've never heard an explanation for this little known bizarre incident. An Oscar nomination would have meant a lot to Flynn, frequently knocked by the critics. By the way, while making that film, the always graciousTy Power predicted Flynn would get a nomination.

Hamlette's Soliloquy: "The Sun Also Rises" (1957) -- Initial Thoughts and  Giveaway!

B ung ho, old boy!

It’s been awhile since I’ve read Errol’s autobiography, did he even mention his Oscar nomination? 

What  if  Clark  Gable  did  not  make  the  film  Mogambo  1953.  Errol  Flynn  would  be  an  good  choice  for  the  movie.  Errol  Flynn  would  have  work  for  John  Ford in  that  picture  .  Errol  worked  with  Ava  Gardner  in  The  Sun  Also  Rises  1957.  Errol  Flynn,  Ava  Gardner  and  Grace  Kelly  would  be  an  great  romantic  triangle.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve read Errol’s autobiography, did he even mention his Oscar nomination? 

There are a lot of things Errol left out of his autobiography, and this was one of them. From what I've read of Flynn he was a pretty cynical guy after the rape trial and would have probably laughed off the lost Oscar nomination with a "what do you expect" shrug of the shoulders. Beneath the calm surface, though, it would have been a disappointment for Flynn to suddenly be denied an honour he thought he had. It doesn't take much to guess that it would probably have rankled him, even if he didn't let on that it did.

There is so little talk about this strange incident in Oscar's history. Somewhere I read, as a possible explanation, that Fox promoted Flynn as a leading player in the film, even though he clearly had a supporting role, and that may have caused a conflict when it came to the Motion Picture Academy having to nominate him in the correct category.

1957-early 58 was the only time in Flynn's career that there were Oscar rumours regarding him circulating within the film community.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

What  if  Clark  Gable  did  not  make  the  film  Mogambo  1953.  Errol  Flynn  would  be  an  good  choice  for  the  movie.  Errol  Flynn  would  have  work  for  John  Ford in  that  picture  .  Errol  worked  with  Ava  Gardner  in  The  Sun  Also  Rises  1957.  Errol  Flynn,  Ava  Gardner  and  Grace  Kelly  would  be  an  great  romantic  triangle.

Flynn turned down the role of Allan Quartermain in King Solomon's Mines, a career error since that film, then featuring Stewart Granger instead, was a big hit, something Flynn needed at the time. But I agree with you that Errol would have been good as the macho safari guide in Mogambo.

• Like 2