Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Misleading movie posters

Maybe not enough material for an entire thread, but I have seen this happen a couple of times. Yesterday I watched a film entitled "The Well" that was about a five year old black girl that goes missing in a very racially mixed town. The suspect is a white man and pretty soon rumors fly and there are tensions that could start a race riot. Very frank storytelling on this subject for an American film in 1951. But I had to laugh when I saw one of the movie posters:

The Well (1951) - IMDb

I think this may be the cover of a DVD, but the artwork was originally a movie poster. The poster makes you believe that if you buy a ticket you will be seeing some kind of torrid romance. Instead it is a film on racial issues. I don't even remember seeing a scene like this in the film. Maybe the scene was cut.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Maybe not enough material for an entire thread, but I have seen this happen a couple of times. Yesterday I watched a film entitled "The Well" that was about a five year old black girl that goes missing in a very racially mixed town. The suspect is a white man and pretty soon rumors fly and there are tensions that could start a race riot. Very frank storytelling on this subject for an American film in 1951. But I had to laugh when I saw one of the movie posters:

The Well (1951) - IMDb

I think this may be the cover of a DVD, but the artwork was originally a movie poster. The poster makes you believe that if you buy a ticket you will be seeing some kind of torrid romance. Instead it is a film on racial issues. I don't even remember seeing a scene like this in the film. Maybe the scene was cut.

I wonder if this was a poster used for PR purposes but only in the southern states.     This is  one of the main reasons for some "odd" (at best),  posters;  E.g.  black actors wouldn't be shown.   

Oh,  and great topic.    I just have to do some homework!

• Like 1

I regret not being able to remember specifics and provide images, but I do recall often when I was a kid, I'd go to see a movie based on what was on the poster and discover none of the monsters in the flick looked as scary(or cool) as the ones the poster had on it.  :( 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Sepiatone said:

I regret not being able to remember specifics and provide images, but I do recall often when I was a kid, I'd go to see a movie based on what was on the poster and discover none of the monsters in the flick looked as scary(or cool) as the ones the poster had on it.  :( 

Sepiatone

I was around 8 when One Million Years BC came out.    Like a lot of young boys  I was really interested in dinosaurs so I told my dad this was a must see film. 

I also asked that he get me a film poster.    He just blew me off and I never got a poster.    It wasn't until years later that I understood mom was the one that vetoed the idea.

Dinosaurs weren't the reason my dad and older brother wanted to see this film!

One Million Years B.C. - Wikipedia

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Tear Gas Squad (1940) - The most tear gas associated with this film was probably when the police were called in when the people who bought a movie ticket found out they were going to be watching a musical full of Irish singing and stereotypes rather than a crime film and began to riot.  

Tear Gas Squad (1940)-20 Inch By 30 Inch Laminated Poster With Bright  Colors And Vivid Imagery-Fits Perfectly In Many Attractive Frames -  Walmart.com - Walmart.com

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I think this may be the cover of a DVD,

Yyyyeah.  Think so.

My favorite inaccurate poster is for the first American release of Studio Ghibli's masterpiece of animation from auteur Hayao Miyazaki, "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", dubbed for wide release as Warriors of the Wind (1983) by New World's Roger Corman:

WarriorsWind-poster.jpg?resize=600,464&t

I'm guessing Roger must have fallen asleep halfway, and woken up while they were showing Clash of the Titans, Dune, and a He-Man rerun.  🤔

• Like 3

Gang Busters (1955) -  One distinguishing feature is that there are no female cast members, no romance whatsoever. But the movie poster shows the villain, in disguise, grabbing a screaming scantily clad young woman, as though there is some kind of female involvement. That is merely a still from the movie where the villain steals a car from a couple parked on lover's lane and lasts about ten seconds, probably meant to mislead moviegoers into buying a ticket.

Gang Busters (1955) - IMDb

• Haha 2

I think the posters for way too many movies beginning in the 30's have little relationship to the actual movies, probably worse among the B movies.  Have seen a lot of this as most streaming and On Demand movies now use a poster to indicate the movie.

1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

A salacious scene like this never happened in the film.

BigHeat1a.jpg.db513ce536a8a0d83e2f5a684d3ba9aa.jpg

She was asking him 'Is  it a gun in your pocket  ? or are you just happy to see me'?' I  guess everything got deleted😉

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Gang Busters (1955) -  One distinguishing feature is that there are no female cast members, no romance whatsoever. But the movie poster shows the villain, in disguise, grabbing a screaming scantily clad young woman, as though there is some kind of female involvement. That is merely a still from the movie where the villain steals a car from a couple parked on lover's lane and lasts about ten seconds, probably meant to mislead moviegoers into buying a ticket.

I guess ten seconds of cleavage is better than none.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's one in Spanish...

Desk Set (1957) Spanish movie poster

Imagine going into the theater thinking you're going to see Spencer Tracy marry a robot.  Or maybe he's married to a robot and falls in love with Katharine Hepburn?

In case you don't read Spanish, the title is literally "His Other Wife".  This was the title in Spain.

In Mexico, the title was "Cosas de mujeres" - "Women's Things"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Here's one in Spanish...

Desk Set (1957) Spanish movie poster

Imagine going into the theater thinking you're going to see Spencer Tracy marry a robot.  Or maybe he's married to a robot and falls in love with Katharine Hepburn?

In case you don't read Spanish, the title is literally "His Other Wife".  This was the title in Spain.

In Mexico, the title was "Cosas de mujeres" - "Women's Things"

In the UK the film was released as "His Other Women".       I always wondered why the film was called Desk Set in the USA.   

I would have called the film Pink Slip since to me the main theme of the film is the fear that technology will replace workers,  and there are scenes in the film related to pink slips since that was a  common term used when employees were terminated.

But this being a Tracy \ Hepburn film and one where they do end-up-together,   I can see the need for the title (and posters),  to reflect that.  Thus I'm surprised Fox went with such a generic title as Desk Set.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In the UK the film was released as "His Other Women".       I always wondered why the film was called Desk Set in the USA.   

I would have called the film Pink Slip since to me the main theme of the film is the fear that technology will replace workers,  and there are scenes in the film related to pink slips since that was a  common term used when employees were terminated.

But this being a Tracy \ Hepburn film and one where they do end-up-together,   I can see the need for the title (and posters),  to reflect that.  Thus I'm surprised Fox went with such a generic title as Desk Set.

Sometimes "esposa" gets translated as woman instead of wife, so that would more closely match the UK title.

It was the name of the play.  Shirley Booth played the part of Bunny Watson.    Some other folks in the play's cast went on to become famous : Louis Gossett, Jr., Doris Roberts, Joyce Van Patten and Elizabeth Wilson.

Studios change the titles all the time - not sure why they kept it this time, unless it was part of the deal for the film rights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wonder if this was a poster used for PR purposes but only in the southern states.     This is  one of the main reasons for some "odd" (at best),  posters;  E.g.  black actors wouldn't be shown.   

Oh,  and great topic.    I just have to do some homework!

What you say about southern states could be correct, but I can see this not working out at all. Imagine 1951 Mississippi moviegoers walking in and thinking they are going to see some kind of noirish romantic picture and instead they get told how bad racism is. That would be one movie theater that would get burned to the ground. 

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

To be fair, the English language poster for Desk Set isn't much better than the Spanish language ones. It looks like it is about a wild holiday party. 

To me this poster communicates less of what the movie is about than the Spanish one.    While the robot is silly at least there is what looks like a computer keyboard:  some reference that a computer was part of the storyline.

You're on-target that the US poster makes it looks like the film is just about romance and a Christmas office party.     If the target audience was mostly women,  that would make more sense,  from a PR point of view,   than implying the film had anything to do with computers.     

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Is it just me? Or did anyone else think "Tom Hanks" when they saw this poster?

27 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

Is it just me? Or did anyone else think "Tom Hanks" when they saw this poster?

Nope, can't say that I did. 

But on the other hand, I DID think of and at first wondered why Richard Basehart's name wasn't on this poster that started this thread...

MV5BMTYzOTU3OTA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjI3

And 'cause that sure looks like Richard Basehart there, don't ya think?

(...and even though he's not in the film)

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, can't say that I did. 

But on the other hand, I DID think of and at first wondered why Richard Basehart's name wasn't on this poster that started this thread...

MV5BMTYzOTU3OTA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjI3

And 'cause that sure looks like Richard Basehart there, don't ya think?

(...and even though he's not in the film)

I agree that it looks like Richard Basehart.     It is Richard Rober.    I know him from the noir films I Married a Communist  (Women on Pier 13),  Backfire  and The File on Thelma Jordan.

I don't see Hanks at all.    

• Thanks 1

I wish I knew how to put the image up, but the 1977 Star Wars poster was a bit of an eye-popper.  Maybe that's where George Lucas got the idea to put Princess Leia in a bronze bikini later on in the series.  All I know is that as ravishing as Carrie Fisher was in the original movie, wardrobe really just had her galavanting around in an old bathrobe most of the time.  And I don't remember any scene where she is sultrily basking at Luke Skywalker's feet.  Almost made me want to demand my money back.   

9 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Or maybe Rosie from The Jetsons turns up in a surprise cameo?

1386011938000-rosie.jpg?width=479&height

8 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

What you say about southern states could be correct, but I can see this not working out at all. Imagine 1951 Mississippi moviegoers walking in and thinking they are going to see some kind of noirish romantic picture and instead they get told how bad racism is. That would be one movie theater that would get burned to the ground. 

A lot of theaters in the south at that time wouldn't even show a movie with a Black person cast in a sympathetic light or situations where they were treated as equals.  I don't know if that was the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Hollywood films sometimes shipped a "southern version" to those theaters where scenes were cut.   One example is Sun Valley Serenade, where the sequence with Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers was cut from the film for showing to most southern audiences.

Jack Mendoza - "If you want to have a blockbuster you need action, war, eye-lasers, giant robots, a damsel in distress and the implication of a Galactus-scale giant monkey who wants to slam dunk the Earth into slavery."

And my own observation - Didn't they mean "from outer space" rather than "from out of space"? 

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Wikipedia

• Haha 1