Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Misleading movie posters

23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I was around 8 when One Million Years BC came out.    Like a lot of young boys  I was really interested in dinosaurs so I told my dad this was a must see film. 

I also asked that he get me a film poster.    He just blew me off and I never got a poster.    It wasn't until years later that I understood mom was the one that vetoed the idea.

Dinosaurs weren't the reason my dad and older brother wanted to see this film!

One Million Years B.C. - Wikipedia

I was 16 by the time it rolled around my local theater.  And me and my buddies couldn't have cared less about dinosaurs when we went to see it.  ;) 

21 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Gang Busters (1955) -  One distinguishing feature is that there are no female cast members, no romance whatsoever. But the movie poster shows the villain, in disguise, grabbing a screaming scantily clad young woman, as though there is some kind of female involvement. That is merely a still from the movie where the villain steals a car from a couple parked on lover's lane and lasts about ten seconds, probably meant to mislead moviegoers into buying a ticket.

Gang Busters (1955) - IMDb

Another distinguishing feature for me about this poster is it's revealing that it is....

"The factual story of public enemy no. FOUR"!!  :lol: Who I'm sure :rolleyes:  was at the top of EVERYBODY'S mind!! :D 

I guess public enemy no.1  wasn't as compelling.  ;) 

Sepiatone (who can see a bit of Hanks in the profile)

• Like 1

Other favorite egregious examples of untruth-in-advertising:

- For those who haven't seen the movie on MST3K--Basing your decision JUST on the title and poster, would you guess that The Day the Earth Froze (1959) was:

A) A tight British/Euro sci-fi pic about scientists contending with a sudden Arctic attack of alien origin, or

B ) A whimsical Swedish/Finland fairytale version of the ancient Kalevala epic, about the hero who saved his village when an evil witch stole the sun?

6a00d83451d04569e2017eea466b58970d-600wi

(Hint - Don't let the Swedish actor credits tip you off.)

- One thing we'll never miss about the late 80's:  The belief that you could stick a cute baby in ANY movie, and print money.  

220px-Made_in_heaven_poster.jpg

Even if it's an Alan Rudolph picture like Made in Heaven (1987), where the babies only actually appear in the Timothy Hutton/Kelly McGillis romantic fantasy for thirty seconds.

• Like 1

Since this movie was on yesterday I was curious how the posters might've looked, and to be fair a dead deer might not have drawn in audiences, but this is just misleading in my opinion. If I saw this I would think I was going to see a film about a happy family and their little pet or whatever, but I guess they expected people to have already read the book. I had never seen the film until yesterday and my dad had warned me about it, but man I was unprepared.

The Yearling (1946) Original Australian Movie Poster - Original Film Art -  Vintage Movie Posters

• Like 2

It's been a while since I watched Ace in the Hole, but I swear these scenes never took place or I would've remembered them.  Kirk slapped Jan Sterling but if he had used a ligature to strangle her it seems to me that the slap would pale in comparison and not be worth mentioning.    Anyone else remember?  It seems they'd stoop to anything to entice people into the theaters.

AceHole1bbb.jpg.c5ce46be030d1965db46db83b6818990.jpg

1.jpg.983c7a062fff95ef59aa316d210fb9ff.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/9/2021 at 3:06 PM, Katie_G said:

It's been a while since I watched Ace in the Hole, but I swear these scenes never took place or I would've remembered them.  Kirk slapped Jan Sterling but if he had used a ligature to strangle her it seems to me that the slap would pale in comparison and not be worth mentioning.    Anyone else remember?  It seems they'd stoop to anything to entice people into the theaters.

AceHole1bbb.jpg.c5ce46be030d1965db46db83b6818990.jpg

1.jpg.983c7a062fff95ef59aa316d210fb9ff.jpg11.jpg.c144bea80ab0b1c3977d394b8a664dad.jpg

Sometimes such scenes were filmed and in an internal only version or one shown to a pre-release "focus group",  but later removed and not in the version released to theaters.  The PR department received their ideas from one of those version (since they start their work prior to the film being finalized).     After these scenes are removed in the final editing process the studio decides it isn't worth the effort to redo such posters\PR material.

Of  course maybe the PR department had Douglas and  Sterling come in to take these photos with the plan to make then more dramatic with no regard to if such scenes are in the film.

That cover for THE WELL is totally bogus. The original posters are well-representative of the film. Wade Williams, who "owns" the film, not only released the film with bogus artwork but from a horribly scratched 16mm print. That image of Richard Rober and Christine Larsen is from a publicity still. I believe the pressbook (can't dig it out now) may include it in a merchandising tie-in.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Then there is this Japanese movie poster for the original Star Wars film from 1977. I don't think I remember the part where 3-CPO is a master of martial arts.

I think they may have gotten C-3P0 confused with Ultraman.  Which is...quite a bit of confusion.   🤨

6a00d83452989a69e201310f1e61de970c-600wi

• Haha 2

I watched Ace in the Hole again, and I was wrong.  There IS a similar scene toward the end that must have inspired the movie posters, one which is being used as the "official" artwork (at least on Imdb).   Of all pictures, they couldn't have made a better choice for Wilder's brilliant critique of media manipulation.  Not sure it's intentional though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

I like posters where the acting credits must be in a certain order no matter what.

An example from the recent podcast:

db3jlB8.jpg

Are the cans and food items in your pantry in alphabetical order?     I'm joking but only somewhat;  my wife likes  such order in our pantry. 

34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are the cans and food items in your pantry in alphabetical order?     I'm joking but only somewhat;  my wife likes  such order in our pantry. 

Maybe you missed my joke.  (Maybe I'm missing your joke.) 🙂

I think the text should match the people underneath.  When it doesn't match I assume it's because of some contractual reason with the stars.

Of course, maybe nobody else cares and it's just me that notices.  (Is that what you were saying?)

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Maybe you missed my joke.  (Maybe I'm missing your joke.) 🙂

I think the text should match the people underneath.  When it doesn't match I assume it's because of some contractual reason with the stars.

Of course, maybe nobody else cares and it's just me that notices.  (Is that what you were saying?)

I understood you.    Wishing the text should match the people underneath is about order,  isn't it?    It just feels "right".        The likely reason for any "mismatch" is what you stated;  contractual reasons;      Hanks and Willis were higher on the food chain,  but the photo had to have Griffith in the middle since it would have looked odd for Willis to have his arm around Hanks!

So I wasn't saying nobody cares.    My joke about my wife and our pantry was to show that people do care about such things.

• Like 1

And then of course, there is always THIS notable example of a movie poster which isn't exactly truthful or accuate in how it depicted any scene actually shown in the movie...

the-day-the-earth-stood-still-uk-movie-p

Of course I suppose this COULD have been another case of a scene left on the cutting room floor, and one where Gort here on his night off from guarding Klaatu's saucer, heads to some D.C. nightclub and picks up, both figuratively and literally, that hot blonde babe you see here?!

(...but I kind'a doubt it)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And then of course, there is always THIS example of a movie poster which isn't exactly truthful or accuate in how it depicted any scene actually shown in the movie...

the-day-the-earth-stood-still-uk-movie-p

(...of course I suppose this COULD have been another case of a scene left on the cutting room floor, and one where  Gort here on his night off from guarding Klaatu's saucer, heads to some D.C. nightclub and picks up that hot blonde babe you see here, both figuratively and literally, but I kind'a doubt it)

Didn't you know that while mother Neal looked all suburban at home and during the day,  when she went out the clubs she wore a blonde wig and red dress.     

One thing about this poster:  that hand-of-god image fits well given the Carpenter angle etc...   But why is the earth red?     Was the film originally titled The Day Mars Stood Still?

Oh, and one other thing:  why does "the Earth" sound OK,  but "the Mars" or "the Venus" sound off?        The title could  have been The Day Earth Stood Still or The  Day The Earth Stood Still,  but for any other planet adding "the" before the planet sound funny.    

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't you know that while mother Neal looked all suburban at home and during the day,  when she went out the clubs she wore a blonde wig and red dress.     

One thing about this poster:  that hand-of-god image fits well given the Carpenter angle etc...   But why is the earth red?     Was the film originally titled The Day Mars Stood Still?

Oh, and one other thing:  why does "the Earth" sound OK,  but "the Mars" or "the Venus" sound off?        The title could  have been The Day Earth Stood Still or The  Day The Earth Stood Still,  but for any other planet adding "the" before the planet sound funny.    

Good question, James. My only guess here would that because the noun "earth" is both a proper name of this entire planet and also in a general sense can also be used to describe the substance of the land surface of this planet, this might be the reason you would never hear "the Mars" or "the Venus".

(...and besides, would it STILL have the same ring to it if Frankie Avalon had instead sang "THE Venus"?...nope, probably not, huh!...and yeah yeah, I know Frankie was actually singing to a Roman goddess and not a planet, but I just couldn't resist this one, that's all)  ;)

On 9/9/2021 at 2:06 PM, Katie_G said:

Kirk slapped Jan Sterling but if he had used a ligature to strangle her it seems to me that the slap would pale in comparison

I don't know what the heck a ligature is. I'm gonna have to Google that.

Edit: Oh, okay. 

Definition of ligature

1a: something that is used to bindspecifically : a filament (such as a thread) used in surgery
33 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know what the heck a ligature is. I'm gonna have to Google that.

What, didn't you have to take that class in high school like I did, Sepia?

You know, "English Ligature"?!

(...Chico Marx would sure be proud of me right now anyway, wouldn't he)