Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Memorable Movie Going Experiences

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

My wife and I watched Wait Until Dark a few weeks back.   The only memorable experience I had was after the ending she said to me "you're replacing that Fridge light by this weekend!".      I tried  pointing out that it was really the opposite; that if that light had been out Audrey would  have been in less danger.     I replaced the light the following day.

The most disturbing thing to me about that movie was the detuned piano.  Worse than nails on a chalkboard.

I recall going to the theatre with a girl friend in 1991 to see JACOB'S LADDER. As the closing credits rolled and the theatre's lights came up I found the ending confusing, wondering what I had just seen but I didn't say anything. However the entire theatre crowd sat in silence so I suspect my feelings about the ending were shared by others.

Breaking the silence of that theatre, however, was my girl friend, who said very loudly "I HATE MOVIES THAT MAKE ME FEEL BRAIN DEAD!"

Much of the crowd around us burst out in laughter. It was the highlight moment of going to see that film.

• Like 1

Tom's story reminds me of taking my dad to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011).  He was a fan of John le Carre books and  Smiley's People with Alec Guinness.  I had seen the movie before,  enjoyed it and thought he'd like it too.  The movie ends and I turn to my dad expecting a positive review.  He was visibly annoyed, verging on angry.  He hated the ending.  "Why would the guy shoot his best friend?!?" 

My dad, who was a bit hard of hearing, had missed a big plot twist.  I explained that (*spoilers*) Colin Firth was a double agent and that Mark Strong shot his imprisoned friend to put him out of his misery and give him a quick death rather than spend the rest of his life in jail. 

My dad's expression quickly changed, "Oh, well then... I loved it!" 

• Like 1

I recall going with some male friends to see DELIVERANCE when it was released. We all enjoyed the film except for its shockingly uncomfortable "Squeal like a pig" scene. As it became increasingly apparent what the hillbilly had in store for poor Ned Beatty I heard my friend Steve, sitting beside me. say, "Tell me when it's over." I glanced over at him to see that he was staring at the floor of the theatre. After we were past the worst of the scene I told him it was okay to look up again.

• Like 2

I remember fondly my grandmother taking me to see Mary Poppins at the Paramount, where I was mesmerized, then taking me to Forbes & Wallace cafeteria (a New England version of Macy's) for a tuna fish sandwich.  It was one of the most wonderful afternoons of my life.  I've always loved tuna fish salad ever since!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, rosebette said:

I remember fondly my grandmother taking me to see Mary Poppins at the Paramount, where I was mesmerized, then taking me to Forbes & Wallace cafeteria (a New England version of Macy's) for a tuna fish sandwich.  It was one of the most wonderful afternoons of my life.  I've always loved tuna fish salad ever since!

Nice story but I'm glad Julie Andrews didn't sing a little bit of tuna makes  the medicine go down!

• Like 1

It must have been around Christmas, 1992, maybe the first week of '93. I was in Chicago on business for a few days.  I had a scheduled meeting cancelled because someone missed their flight, so I had an afternoon to kill. I took a taxi to a theater showing Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant. I had seen King of New York and Ms. 45, so I knew what to expect. It was cold and windy,  with light snow and some sleet, a real bone-chiller.  I love going to movie theaters on days like that. It was the first showing of the day. There were perhaps fifteen people in the theater; only one couple. Everyone else was alone. I sat center seat on a row close to the back of the theater.

If you've not seen this film, it's pretty tough, certainly not for everyone. The scene near the end, when Jesus appears in the church to a tormented Harvey Keitel, three people got up from their seats, walked out and did not return. I hadn't seen such a thing before, haven't seen it since. Memorable, indeed.

• Like 1

Seeing The Ten Commandments on the big screen last year. I never saw it on the big screen, it came out before I was born. I was so proud to be one of many in the audience that clapped at the end of the film. It is still magnificent.  Huge cast, Yul Brynner playing a Prince, waiting to be a King and winner an Oscar for playing a King (in the King and I) in the same year, 1956. Actors who were known to play gangsters (Edward G. Robinson), horror and film noir (Vincent Price) and juvenile delinquents (John Derek) mixed in with Charleton Heston. Let's not forget the only Oscar winning performer in the movie was Anne Baxter, who had won Best Supporting Actress for 1946's The Razor's Edge.

• Like 2

That would have been something to see.  I got to see Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen at the Uptown Stage * Screen, and it made such a difference.   The same theatre used to hold a yearly event where they brought in a guy with a theatre style organ to accompany silent movies.

One theatre I especially miss in Calgary was the North Hill Theatre.   Demolished in 2000, it had one gigantic Cinerama screen, and it was the theatre to go to for watching the big blockbusters.

NorthHillCalgary.jpg.4662163573ab0c51d52f68dc79a7342a.jpg

• Like 1