Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie scene: wobbly table in restaurant

BingFan

There’s a scene in a movie in which a young couple sits down at a small table in a restaurant.  They immediately discover that the table is wobbly because it has uneven legs.  The proprietor comes over, folds up a paper menu, and puts it under a table leg.  The table seems stable at first, but then goes wobbly again.

Can anyone tell me the name of this movie?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Ginger Fan said:

I recently saw that movie, but I'm not sure the name.  It was black and white.  I want to say it was, "The Clock" with Judy Garland, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!  You may be right.  While I haven’t seen THE CLOCK all the way through very recently, I did see a little bit of it last month, when TCM showed it for Judy Garland’s day during Summer Under The Stars.  Maybe  I caught that particular scene.  I’ll have to be on the lookout for it the next time I watch THE CLOCK.  Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Ginger Fan said:

That's probably when I last saw, "The Clock" as well (in August).  It does seem like the man tries to fix it by turning it, or maybe the manager tries.  After several tries, don't they end up sitting at another table?

Yes, that’s how I remember the scene developing.  Thanks, Ginger Fan and Taz!

Let me post this in hopes that it will help jog somebody’s memory.  BINGFAN, if it doesn’t match your memory let me know and I will delete my post so as not to muddy the waters.

The couple walks into a rather poorly lit restaurant.  They sit at a table with him on the far side, facing forward and to the right, she sits on the near side, facing him to the rear and the left.

The table is of dark wood and sturdily built.  It’s quite small only about 2 feet square with a solid 2 inch thick top and four square legs.  It's top is bare with no tablecloth.

The table wobbles and the man stands up and turns it a quarter turn.  Turns out the unevenness is in the floor as the table wobbles the same way it did before where they were expecting the wobble to have been in the legs and to turn 90 degrees if it wasn’t fixed by being turned.  The Italian proprietor folds a menu and places it under proper leg to correct the wobble.

The couple eats spaghetti.  She is accomplished at rolling spaghetti on a fork.  Him, not so much as he keeps getting too much spaghetti to fit in his mouth

I don’t think it’s "The Clock" with Judy Garland,.  I seem to remember the woman as having light hair fixed up.  I was actually thinking it was Kim Novak, but maybe not.  I also remember the time period to be wrong for "The Clock".  Somehow this had more of a ‘60s feel to it.

• Thanks 1

This may not be the film you're asking about but I remember a scene in It Happened On Fifth Avenue starring Gale Storm and Don DeFore, they are in a restaurant and they are sitting a table that wobbles and the waiter tries to fix it for them. I think there may have been a violin player at the table.They wind up having an argument and she leaves the table. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the late reply, Taz and Lavenderblue19.  I appreciate your thinking about my question.

I  think the movie I was remembering is IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, one that I’ve seen several times during various Christmas seasons.   Now that you mention that title, Lavenderblue19, I can see Don DeFore and Gale Storm in this particular scene.  Thanks for reminding me!

Taz, thank you for the thought you obviously put into answering my question. Much of the detail you provided sounds familiar except that, as I remember it, the table’s wobble was never fixed.  In the end, I believe the restaurant proprietor replaces the original table with a another nearby table — which ends up wobbling, too.

Thanks, everyone!

I just watched that scene in “It Happened on Fifth Avenue”.  I have it on a My Cloud.  Even after what I assume is the maitre d’ changes the table, it still wobbles.  Great movie.

That is not the same movie I was thinking of.  In “It Happened on Fifth Avenue”, .the table has a checkered table cloth and several items on it.  In the movie I was talking about the table was much smaller and completely bare.

And yes, Gale Storm “storms” out

.table.jpg.bd7d03a8af954a78fcbd2527cb6c9f75.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BingFan said:

Apologies for the late reply, Taz and Lavenderblue19.  I appreciate your thinking about my question.

I  think the movie I was remembering is IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE, one that I’ve seen several times during various Christmas seasons.   Now that you mention that title, Lavenderblue19, I can see Don DeFore and Gale Storm in this particular scene.  Thanks for reminding me!

Taz, thank you for the thought you obviously put into answering my question. Much of the detail you provided sounds familiar except that, as I remember it, the table’s wobble was never fixed.  In the end, I believe the restaurant proprietor replaces the original table with a another nearby table — which ends up wobbling, too.

Thanks, everyone!

You're Welcome and glad that the film turned out to be It Happened On Fifth Avenue. Love that film, I've seen it many times and remembered that scene. Enjoy the film, I'm sure TCM will show it during the holiday season, they have for the last few years. :)

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings