Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

book prices

jh33

It is hard to believe the prices of books nowdays. I would spend almost 400.00 a year on biographies and other film related books. This year I have bought only six books. Maybe a total of 150.00. Now books books that are softcover are retailing for 45.00. Just getting to costly to seat and read a good book.

I sure agree with you. I've cut back on my book buying and unless it's something like a reference book that I'll need to keep going back to, I just get them out of the public library. You may have to be put a reservation list and wait a bit for new books and recent bestsellers, but the price is certainly right. Most libraries have a good DVD collection for loan too.

Several years ago I needed a copy of an old German science book that was published in the 1890s. A couple of decades ago books like that could be purchased in junk stores and used book stores for $1, since nobody wanted them. But ever since the internet got big, that allowed book sellers to go up on their ?rare book? prices since they could easily index them by title and author, and people, such as collectors, scientists, and university professors, could easily find them on the internet.

So, I finally found a listing for this rare book I was looking for. A Dutch book seller had a copy for sale for 8,000 Euros. At that time, in the late '90s or early '00s, that was nearly $9,000!

Well, that was out of my budget, but I kept searching the internet for a few years and I finally found a small book company in Boston that had a photocopy of the entire book, that they got out of some university library, and they were selling softbound print-on-demand copies of it for $18.95. So I ordered one of those. :)

A friend of mine ran a used-book store. Invariably, the big, glossy, "coffee table" books would start appearing two or three years after their publication (apparently most people bought them only as decorating items and didn't want them at all once they became passe). He had a firm rule of paying $1.00 for the first of each that came in the door and $0.50 for each one after that (this was in the 70s and 80s). He rarely sold any of them.

He passed away a few years ago, and his son closed the shop but kept the inventory. Those fifty-cent large-format books now have a minimum online price of $300 each. He's less than 1/4 of the way through the 40,000+ books (valued by the state's estate appraiser at being worth $25,000) and is already a millionaire.

In the mid-1990's, I paid a quarter for: "Obstetrics and Womanly Beauty -- A Treatise on the Physical Life of Woman, Embracing Full Information on All Important Matters for both Mothers and Maidens" (I won't bother typing in the subtitle). I've turned down offers of $200 for it.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> So, I finally found a listing for this rare book I was looking for. A Dutch book seller had a copy for sale for 8,000 Euros. Thats nearly $9,000!

$9000 would be a bargain; at current the exchange rate, ?8000 is actually US$ 11,803.80.

Happy reading!

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

> In the mid-1990's, I paid a quarter for: "Obstetrics and Womanly Beauty -- A Treatise on the Physical Life of Woman, Embracing Full Information on All Important Matters for both Mothers and Maidens" (I won't bother typing in the subtitle). I've turned down offers of $200 for it.

Yes, I have a few old 19th Century books I bought for $1 and even .25? in junk stores in the 1960s and ?70s, and today they are worth a lot more.

In the ?90s, before the age of internet book lists, I was searching for a copy of Hunter?s ?A Civic Biology?, 1914 edition. It was the book that John T. Scopes taught from in 1925, before his big trial in Tennessee.

Many used-book stores didn?t handle high school textbooks that old back in the 1990s, since no one wanted them. I finally, by luck, found a copy in a Baton Rogue book store for $5.

Now it?s worth from $50 to $200 among historical collectors:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bsi=30&ph=2&tn=acivicbiology&prevpage=1