Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kate.

Aritosthenes

15 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Thoughts And Prayers.

While, in the Entire Sceme of Things; She's A Newer Artist. This, Sounds Like it Could Be of Concern.

Which i Hope is Pure Rubbish.

https://pagesix.com/2021/09/10/kate-beckinsale-reportedly-rushed-to-hospital-in-las-vegas/

You're being naughty again, using "KATE" as clickbait when Beckinsale isn't going to be our first thought. But I do love this Kate, though her career has been so all-over-the-charts that I either don't love or haven't seen everything she's done. For a "Newer Artist" she's remarkably versatile and I'm particularly a fan when she leans into the British stuff. I first saw her in John Schlesinger's Cold Comfort Farm (1995), based on a favorite book, in which she played a bored writer (of sorts) who sets out to "fix" an oddball group of backward relatives a-la Emma Wodehouse. Fun in the way only the British can do and Kate was pitch-perfect. I also loved the more recent Love and Friendship, based on Jane Austen's first novel Lady Susan, in which Kate played an adroit schemer who seeks to keep a foothold on her plummeting social standing with the help her one true ally, played by Chloe Sevigny. It's a reminder of how dark Austen could go, because some of the adaptations of her work are more relentlessly upbeat. Anyway, I'm glad for the opportunity to praise her, even though I initially thought I was getting into Hepburn territory.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DougieB said:

You're being naughty again, using "KATE" as clickbait when Beckinsale isn't going to be our first thought. But I do love this Kate, though her career has been so all-over-the-charts that I either don't love or haven't seen everything she's done. For a "Newer Artist" she's remarkably versatile and I'm particularly a fan when she leans into the British stuff. I first saw her in John Schlesinger's Cold Comfort Farm (1995), based on a favorite book, in which she played a bored writer (of sorts) who sets out to "fix" an oddball group of backward relatives a-la Emma Wodehouse. Fun in the way only the British can do and Kate was pitch-perfect. I also loved the more recent Love and Friendship, based on Jane Austen's first novel Lady Susan, in which Kate played an adroit schemer who seeks to keep a foothold on her plummeting social standing with the help her one true ally, played by Chloe Sevigny. It's a reminder of how dark Austen could go, because some of the adaptations of her work are more relentlessly upbeat. Anyway, I'm glad for the opportunity to praise her, even though I initially thought I was getting into Hepburn territory.

Nahh. I Dont Think So.. Someone Though Needs to Brush Up on Their (Working) Definition of Naughty .! 🙃

She's, Well; Particularly Goode Lookin' in Jolt and Her Underworld Forrays Respectively imo.

8 hours ago, DougieB said:

Thank You.

18 hours ago, DougieB said:

I first saw her in John Schlesinger's Cold Comfort Farm (1995), based on a favorite book, in which she played a bored writer (of sorts) who sets out to "fix" an oddball group of backward relatives a-la Emma Wodehouse.

I tried to watch this. It was sophisticated and funny in the beginning but I lost interest when she arrived at the farm. The change of milieu threw me I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, laffite said:

I tried to watch this. It was sophisticated and funny in the beginning but I lost interest when she arrived at the farm. The change of milieu threw me I guess.

I think part of the point was that the change of milieu didn't throw her.  She discovered that she really did know what she was talking about as a writer, which she wasn't as sure of before. You're right that the misfit family set a tone completely different from the early scenes. Having read the book, I was appreciative of how the family was actualized, but I can see how they might appear over-drawn in a Monty Python kind of way. A matter of taste, I guess. And I though Kate Beckinsale bridged the gap splendidly.

4 hours ago, DougieB said:

I think part of the point was that the change of milieu didn't throw her

It may have been just too unexpected for me at the time. I love sophisticated and uppity English drama and suddenly I was watching the Beverley Hillbillies. That they were "overdrawn" actually sounds familiar, that might have been the deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings