Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are some interesting, odd, or fun pieces of Hollywood memorabilia you have?

I'm curious if anyone else has come across some random or interesting old Hollywood movie or actor related memorabilia that they just had to have. Share yours!

I'll go first:

1) Might not necessarily be "old Hollywood" related however it's a great piece of Buster Keaton History. ūüėĀ

Original sheet music from 1902 depicting a very young Buster Keaton with his parents, aka The Three Keatons.

:20210910_153749.thumb.jpg.e4da45ea628583afe45b7b3dd652d289.jpgpic2.thumb.jpg.d53594c4b89065e75f523f9b006775b0.jpg

• Like 9

Not from Hollywood, but a four-sheet poster of Tristana purchased by friend who lived in France for a couple of years in the late 80s. 

14382925%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Edit: In the event it isn't obvious, the one pictured is not mine.  Mine has been folded for a good number of years. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure why anyone would answer this.

Movies and TV draw some really rabid aficionados and to openly draw the attention of the world at large to your possessions seems foolhardy.

The closest analogy I have is the art of driving through neighborhoods after internationally or religiously important gift-giving days, noting the TV boxes, and other evidence of new large-ticket items at the curb.

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Movies and TV draw some really rabid aficionados and to openly draw the attention of the world at large to your possessions seems foolhardy.

The closest analogy I have is the art of driving through neighborhoods after internationally or religiously important gift-giving days, noting the TV boxes, and other evidence of new large-ticket items at the curb.

It's literally just for fun man, there's no rule saying you have to answer. Not even entirely sure what you're trying to say because collectors have a presence all over the internet. It's practically human nature to share and bond over possessions. Strange that you had to come up with an analogy that doesn't even compare, but you do you I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll pardon myself for chiming in too, but....

I sincerely doubt there'd be much positive response to this thread as I feel most of the make up of the people here, while having a great love of "classic" movies, really don't have anything in the way of "memorabilia"  of Hollywood or classic Hollywood movies.   Not saying their desire for such things isn't there.  Just the lack of resources and availability aren't.  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, wbogacz said:

So my Tristana poster is at risk because I posted about it? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

So my Tristana poster is at risk because I posted about it? 

Well our local bird  store warned customers not to post about their birds,  especially real expensive ones,  on the Internet since there were robberies tied to such postings.   The thieves would sometimes try to extort the owner;  give me $500 to get your bird back.     

But I assume your poster is  safe since it is folded;    Would a collector really resort to stealing something that wasn't top notch?      Hard to predict the behavior of rabid aficionados.     Such people wishing to fill-a-hole in their collection,   who may have been looking for such an items for years,  might do almost anything.

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well our local bird  store warned customers not to post about their birds,  especially real expensive ones,  on the Internet since there were robberies tied to such postings.   The thieves would sometimes try to extort the owner;  give me $500 to get your bird back.     

But I assume your poster is  safe since it is folded;    Would a collector really resort to stealing something that wasn't top notch?      Hard to predict the behavior of rabid aficionados.     Such people wishing to fill-a-hole in their collection,   who may have been looking for such an items for years,  might do almost anything.

Real fans aren't thieves

• Like 1

I have quite a bit of memorabilia but since she was honored this week by TCM. I have this fantastic photo of EleanorParker by George Hurrell for Esquire magazine issue of May 1942.I have the magazine and the printing proof.I  have it in a frame -museum quality etc.I spent good money on special photos in my collection.Parker was 20 years old and just started in film,the display was trifold.It is the most beautiful photo I have ever seen of her.

parker.jpg

• Like 9

I've got a copy of the 1925 "photoplay" edition of The Phantom of the Opera, published by Grosset & Dunlap (picture from the Web, not my copy). Found it in a used bookstore (and not a rare bookstore) for a considerable fraction of the prices for it that I've seen on the Web.

MPALa5hSMW4qBplju4A5kYVPoBKmbFcGF4jtR8Dg

Love to nab a copy of the 1928 G&D photoplay novelization of London After Midnight, authored by Mary Coolidge-Rask. But, I'm not paying the prices asked for it.

LILp7xfVQ1ROzhWTfHWZ_whgfo5n0cBJHhMkHaMm

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Cinemartian said:

I posted a thread like this years ago

no one cared at the time

I had listed something great -  not going to mention it now

just felt like posting this

Don't make search out your old post. Give 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SweetSue said:

Strange that you had to come up with an analogy that doesn't even compare, but you do you I guess.

Postings here could be the boxes at the curb, and one doesn't need anything more than the internet to "drive" to see them.

If you don't think people will travel great distances to rob people, strangers even, on lesser knowledge, watch the first few minutes of "In Cold Blood".

Or "To Catch A Thief", or any heist picture.

8 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

Postings here could be the boxes at the curb, and one doesn't need anything more than the internet to "drive" to see them.

If you don't think people will travel great distances to rob people, strangers even, on lesser knowledge, watch the first few minutes of "In Cold Blood".

Or "To Catch A Thief", or any heist picture.

If I owned Dorothy's red slippers I probably would not keep them in the house, but I'd happily post here that I owned them and how I acquired them. It's not like my address is visible on my profile. Lighten up. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

If I owned Dorothy's red slippers I probably would not keep them in the house, but I'd happily post here that I owned them and how I acquired them. It's not like my address is visible on my profile. Lighten up. 

But if you didn't keep those red slippers at your house how would you be able to look your best when you went for a night on the town? 

(and why is it "on the town"?),   man,  so much to think about.   I need to lighten up!

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But if you didn't keep those red slippers at your house how would you be able to look your best when you went for a night on the town? 

(and why is it "on the town"?),   man,  so much to think about.   I need to lighten up!

First of all, nobody (with any taste) wears ruby red slippers at night. They send the wrong message. Also it's frightfully infra dig after Labor Day.

Second of all, w-h-y are you implying that LuckyDan is a cross-dresser?

• Like 2

Back in the '60s I was able to purchase quite a few '30s and '40s original film lobby cards (as well as a few posters) for next to no money. They weren't considered to have any real value then, unlike the skyrocketing prices some would fetch at auctions today. I still have them. Here are a couple of reproductions of some of the originals I have:

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein 1948 / Issue #6 | Posters Details |  Four Color Comics

The Sea Hawk (Warner Bros., 1940). Fine. Linen Finish Lobby Card | Lot  #51419 | Heritage Auctions

Sergeant York (film) - Wikipedia

In addition, if this also counts, I have dozens of autographs of Golden Era film stars, as well as a recent acquisition of BEAM ENDS, a 1937 novel written by Errol Flynn and signed on its title page by its author. I also have another book, reputedly once owned by Tyrone Power (it has an inscription, dated 1939, to Power on an inside cover by a 20th Century Fox dialogue director who gave it to him, as well as a sticker saying "Property of Tyrone Power." The book is in excellent condition. I have to wonder if it was ever read),

• Like 6
18 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Lighten up.

Yeah!

There are several typical threads that pop up regularly here such as "Movie Memorabilia" you own. I remember one poster here has one of Bowman's 2001 A Space Odyssey space suits. Most impressive.

I am in the antiques business & can confidently say they are not desirable to any thief. Values are at an all time low, kids don't "collect" and no one knows how/where to sell the stuff.

I have files full of second tier vintage movie posters, lobby cards, etc. collected through the years from dealers at rare film festivals. I've collected formal publicity shots (some autographed) for years and am currently thinning out all my "stuff" on ebay. You can only display so much.   

I use discarded 35mm trailers to decorate gifts & in collage art. My favorite pieces are props & costuming like a replica Maltese Falcon, an Enterprise plate from a Star Trek movie & a Fedora worn in Seabiscuit. But my vintage film equipment is dearest to my heart- film cans, film reels of all sizes and my coveted Mole Richardson baby spots.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I won't say that wasn't good cause it was. 

Re-reading my post I did rather give that impression. Back in the 90s, before vividly colored tennis shoes were common, I bought a pair of red nylon and velvet Reeboks because I saw Keith Richards in a pair of red shoes and thought he looked cool as hell. I soon learned that when I wore them, I would talk about nothing but my shoes that entire day because everyone had a comment, including people who normally didn't speak to me, mostly along the lines of, "I hope you got those on sale." I mean I could see people pointing at me a block away. The only positive comment I recall was from a very kind and very gay man. (No  he didn't say"fabulous.")

No info found re on the town but ... In Britain they say "on the tiles."

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yeah!

There are several typical threads that pop up regularly here such as "Movie Memorabilia" you own. I remember one poster here has one of Bowman's 2001 A Space Odyssey space suits. Most impressive.

I am in the antiques business & can confidently say they are not desirable to any thief. Values are at an all time low, kids don't "collect" and no one knows how/where to sell the stuff.

Imagine walking along an inner city street and turning a corner to have some guy whisper, "Pssst. Hey, bud." He looks from one side to the other. "Innarested in a little ... memrobeelya?" He opens his overcoat. "Darraty's slippuhs. $500. Dey're you-ahs."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I won't say that wasn't good cause it was. 

Re-reading my post I did rather give that impression. Back in the 90s, before vividly colored tennis shoes were common, I bought a pair of red nylon and velvet Reeboks because I saw Keith Richards in a pair of red shoes and thought he looked cool as hell. I soon learned that when I wore them, I would talk about nothing but my shoes that entire day because everyone had a comment, including people who normally didn't speak to me, mostly along the lines of, "I hope you got those on sale." I mean I could see people pointing at me a block away. The only positive comment I recall was from a very kind and very gay man. (No  he didn't say"fabulous.")

No info found re on the town but ... In Britain they say "on the tiles."

Related to those red  ruby slippers:  The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures  in Hollywood will open on Sept. 30th.   Today's Sunday L.A. Times has a entire section devote to it.   There is an interview with Jacqueline Stewart,   Chief Artistic and Programming officer.     She calls the slippers the "Mona Lisa" of the museum.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Related to those red  ruby slippers:  The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures  in Hollywood will open on Sept. 30th.   Today's Sunday L.A. Times has a entire section devote to it.   There is an interview with Jacqueline Stewart,   Chief Artistic and Programming officer.     She calls the slippers the "Mona Lisa" of the museum.   

TCM has a primetime theme of 'Academy Museum' on Sep. 27, so I hope that means Jacqueline will be there to tell us about it.