Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are some interesting, odd, or fun pieces of Hollywood memorabilia you have?

SweetSue

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Related to those red  ruby slippers:  The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures  in Hollywood will open on Sept. 30th.   Today's Sunday L.A. Times has a entire section devote to it.   There is an interview with Jacqueline Stewart,   Chief Artistic and Programming officer.     She calls the slippers the "Mona Lisa" of the museum. 

Darn, I already took my vacation to Hollywood last month, wish I would've waited. I was already bummed enough I missed out on a visit to the Hollywood museum and the Hollywood Heritage museum this time, but now I have reason to take another trip at least! Also does anyone know if they moved the pair of ruby slippers from the Hollywood museum in the Max Factor building to this new one or is it a different pair? That's where they were when I saw them around 2017.

4 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

Darn, I already took my vacation to Hollywood last month, wish I would've waited. I was already bummed enough I missed out on a visit to the Hollywood museum and the Hollywood Heritage museum this time, but now I have reason to take another trip at least! Also does anyone know if they moved the pair of ruby slippers from the Hollywood museum in the Max Factor building to this new one or is it a different pair? That's where they were when I saw them around 2017.

Displaying Screenshot_20210912-164349.jpg

The ruby slippers were moved into the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Like a guy with 4.6 mil to spend on a dress is worried about the recession.)

I like how it's like "Wow the bidding was crazy during this recession" like uh if you ask me 4.6 mil is ALOT to spend on  a dress regardless of whether there is a recession or not lol The rich are something else I tell ya.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I like how it's like "Wow the bidding was crazy during this recession" like uh if you ask me 4.6 mil is ALOT to spend on  a dress regardless of whether there is a recession or not lol The rich are something else I tell ya.😂

I know! That was said by a collector, assumably one who was outbid. Then the winner paid another million in commission.  I have to think he had a buyer lined up, like a Saudi prince or someone who wanted to be unknown. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

I have to think he had a buyer lined up, like a Saudi prince or someone who wanted to be unknown. 

Oh definitely, has to be the only explanation honestly. I like the specific example of a Saudi prince, I wonder just how many Hollywood relics end up with royalty from other countries, really makes one think lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

Oh definitely, has to be the only explanation honestly. I like the specific example of a Saudi prince, I wonder just how many Hollywood relics end up with royalty from other countries, really makes one think lol

That thought occurred to me after reading about the painting "Salvador Mundi" which is possibly a long-lost da Vinci. It was acquired by a Saudi Prince who has now gone silent on it's current whereabouts. Oh. And he paid over $450 million. Think of it. That's 100 Marilyn dresses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

That thought occurred to me after reading about the painting "Salvador Mundi" which is possibly a long-lost da Vinci. It was acquired by a Saudi Prince who has now gone silent on it's current whereabouts. Oh. And he paid over $450 million. Think of it. That's 100 Marilyn dresses. 

Oh wow I didn't know about that, I'm currently studying art history so that's a super fun fact. Makes you wonder if stuff like that will ever be seen again. It'd be interesting to put one of those princes in a room and let him pick between the painting or 100 Marilyn dresses for the same price and see what he chooses 🤣

2 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

Oh wow I didn't know about that, I'm currently studying art history so that's a super fun fact. Makes you wonder if stuff like that will ever be seen again. It'd be interesting to put one of those princes in a room and let him pick between the painting or 100 Marilyn dresses for the same price and see what he chooses 🤣

The saga of the "Mundi" painting has been quite a hot topic in the art world the past few years. There is a documentary on it out now that I have been trying to get to.  It is called The Lost Leonardo. (It was lost long ago, and is now lost again.)

Assuming Marilyn wore all 100 dresses, they would have a more certain provenance than the painting. Still I'd go for the painting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

The saga of the "Mundi" painting has been quite a hot topic in the art world the past few years. There is a documentary on it out now that I have been trying to get to.  It is called The Lost Leonardo. (It was lost long ago, and is now lost again.)

Assuming Marilyn wore all 100 dresses, they would have a more certain provenance than the painting. Still I'd go for the painting. 

Sounds fascinating, I'll definitely be reading up on it. And haha yeah good point. Always go for the painting lol

• Like 1

Similarly to Debbie Reynolds, the collector that previously owned MM's gold pleated lamé dress was going broke keeping his collection-

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.j

He was "touring" his collection to any Museum that would take his exhibit. It costs the Museum to lease the show & that helps defray the cost of transport, storage, handling repair, etc. It's not cheap. 

Just like every other collector, they often sell a few pieces to pay for keeping the rest of the collection. I was very glad to have had the chance to see this exhibit along with another pair of ruby slippers. Also saw the pair at the Smithsonian.

Right now prices in the antiques market is very low. This makes all the people with funny money come out of the woodwork looking for a "bargain".  The few pieces I'm working on are selling for half their value of 20 years ago, still $40,000 though.

• Like 3

Haven't been lucky enough or rich enough to come across any real meaningful memorabilia but i would love to own a piece of Buster Keaton memorabilia someday.  All I have is a few autographed photos of some of my favorite actors and musicians and my own personal  production stills of various movie sets i've worked on.  

On 9/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, Shank Asu said:

Haven't been lucky enough or rich enough to come across any real meaningful memorabilia but i would love to own a piece of Buster Keaton memorabilia someday.  All I have is a few autographed photos of some of my favorite actors and musicians and my own personal  production stills of various movie sets i've worked on.  

Oh how fun!  That sounds like an absolutely fascinating job.  🙂

I have a bunch of Photoplay magazines.   Mostly the ones from the 1920s-1940s.  I also have a couple of autographed books.  

I would love the toy bunny from the movie "You Can't Take it with You".  I heard it was specially made for the movie and that it got passed down to the kids and grandkids of Frank Capra.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:11 AM, SweetSue said:

I wonder just how many Hollywood relics end up with royalty from other countries, really makes one think lol

In the 90's, high end Americana antiques were selling like hotcakes to the Japanese. Sight-unseen phone bids too. A real shame when things like that get squirreled away from public view forever.

People often ask how I feel giving the stuff I restore back to clients & I'm glad to get rid of them! They shouldn't be in ANYone's home.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:53 AM, SweetSue said:

Always go for the painting lol

Haha, it's part of my job to make exact replicas of antique paintings. F is for FAKE.

And I have attended some higher end auctions (like Southeby's in NY) that had taken reproductions on consignment. When alerted them to the fact, they just announced "age/provenance unconfirmed" when it went to bid and sold it anyway.

Another time, I spotted stolen items going up for sale (still have the auction catalogue) and alerted the auction house. Thankfully, they requested proof of ownership resulting in all items pulled from the sale. Now back in public domain.

That said, my favorite "Hollywood" prop is a cast resin Ritz Cracker used in a commercial. It's 10% larger than an edible Ritz. F is for Fake Food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

That said, my favorite "Hollywood" prop is a cast resin Ritz Cracker used in a commercial. It's 10% larger than an edible Ritz. F is for Fake Food.

I don't have any but I love the idea of it. John Waters supposedly has fake food stashed all over his house (homes): cookies on the toilet, a blueberry pie in the bedroom, all sorts of stuff in the dining room, so you're in good company (or not, depending).

On 9/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, SweetSue said:

Might not necessarily be "old Hollywood" related however it's a great piece of Buster Keaton History. 😁

Original sheet music from 1902 depicting a very young Buster Keaton with his parents, aka The Three Keatons.

:

I'm not a collector, though I have a few things related to actors whom I worked with. However I do have one item which was given to me by a friend. It's an autographed photo of Buster Keaton in a film called The Invader (1936), which Keaton made in England.

I'm not a particular fan of Keaton (I like him but haven't seen many of his films), and the photo, which was given to me framed, has no particular meaning for me. The photo is inscribed to "Sid," which my friend thinks may have been Charlie Chaplin's elder brother Sydney. The friend also gave me an autographed photo of Laurence Olivier.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm not a collector, though I have a few things related to actors whom I worked with. However I do have one item which was given to me by a friend. It's an autographed photo of Buster Keaton in a film called The Invader (1936), which Keaton made in England.

I'm not a particular fan of Keaton (I like him but haven't seen many of his films), and the photo, which was given to me framed, has no particular meaning for me. The photo is inscribed to "Sid," which my friend thinks may have been Charlie Chaplin's elder brother Sydney. The friend also gave me an autographed photo of Laurence Olivier.

*GASP*  SO JEALOUS!!!

4 hours ago, DougieB said:

John Waters supposedly has fake food stashed all over his house, so you're in good company

Yes, John Waters & I are a lot alike....Baltimore is one of my favorite cities to visit & hang out. I have movie references stashed all over my house too which is fun when people randomly discover them: Giant horse pill props in the medicine cabinet, rubber "Tinglers" crawling on the inside of the fridge and if you look up, a Maltese Falcon replica peering down from the staircase. I also use 35mm film, film cans & reels in my home decor. 

I love Buster Keaton, you should watch more of his films Swithin, esp in a theater with others. 

I know someone who has a Chaplin bowler & cane-the cane is very thin & delicate. Both have authentication & provenance. I find it amazing to have such iconic items that old. Most of my autographs are 30's-50's stars. My Janet Gaynor is up on ebay receiving no interest at only $25.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes, John Waters & I are a lot alike....Baltimore is one of my favorite cities to visit & hang out. I have movie references stashed all over my house too which is fun when people randomly discover them: Giant horse pill props in the medicine cabinet, rubber "Tinglers" crawling on the inside of the fridge and if you look up, a Maltese Falcon replica peering down from the staircase. I also use 35mm film, film cans & reels in my home decor. 

I love Buster Keaton, you should watch more of his films Swithin, esp in a theater with others. 

I know someone who has a Chaplin bowler & cane-the cane is very thin & delicate. Both have authentication & provenance. I find it amazing to have such iconic items that old. Most of my autographs are 30's-50's stars. My Janet Gaynor is up on ebay receiving no interest at only $25.

Here's a seller in Colorado who reportedly acquired Robert Osborne's collection (or parts of it).
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=celluloidmemories&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_odkw=&_from=R40&_nkw=osborne&_sacat=0

1522 active listings and only 131 sold at this point.

Not sure what to make of it, as I am not involved in the purchasing or selling of movie memorabilia items as in this thread.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, Swithin said:

The photo is inscribed to "Sid," which my friend thinks may have been Charlie Chaplin's elder brother Sydney.

The photo itself sounds very cool, although (unless Keaton spelled it with a "y") the original recipient may have been someone else--Sydney Chaplin's nickname was "Syd":

http://www.sydchaplin.com/

Although on second thought, it's entirely possible that Keaton could have simply misspelled it with an "i", especially if he'd only heard the name and never seen it written down before.

Edited by Fausterlitz
image deleted to free up attachment space

On 9/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, wbogacz said:

I'm not sure why anyone would answer this.

Movies and TV draw some really rabid aficionados and to openly draw the attention of the world at large to your possessions seems foolhardy

If you think it's foolhardy, then you must see foolishness on the internet everytime you log on.  You couldn't even begin to count the number of enthusiast's forum out there. People even post photos of automobiles that sit in a driveway or on a street.  They post photos of wristwatches, cameras, firearms, etc, and even as I type this, they're posting that stuff and more. I'm curious how you would find someone who posts with a made-up username and is using a common as dirt gmail address. I do believe in being careful, but cautioning against posting anything of value seems a bit over the top.

As to Sweetsue's question, I can't think of anything of that kind I own, so I guess that means I don't have any of it.

• Like 1

I have cool one-of-a-kind snapshots that are not from public events, but backyard pool parties or lunch dates or get togethers where the likes of RICK NELSON or TONY DOW or BOB DENVER or KENT McCORD or GRANT WILLIAMS turned up, nice clear peeks at real living that are also great candids... in case anybody wants to break in and steal these value-less treasures, I also have a ring that looks like a diamond but is a diamelle... have at it!  :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

If you think it's foolhardy, then you must see foolishness on the internet everytime you log on.  You couldn't even begin to count the number of enthusiast's forum out there. People even post photos of automobiles that sit in a driveway or on a street.  They post photos of wristwatches, cameras, firearms, etc, and even as I type this, they're posting that stuff and more. I'm curious how you would find someone who posts with a made-up username and is using a common as dirt gmail address. I do believe in being careful, but cautioning against posting anything of value seems a bit over the top.

As to Sweetsue's question, I can't think of anything of that kind I own, so I guess that means I don't have any of it.

Many I am aware of who engage in "Internet showmanship" also favor their equally nice collection of brass and lead.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2