Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Babes In Arms (Colorized)

Evan

Does anybody know what happened to the colorized version of the 1939 film Babes In Arms? TCM aired it in 1993. Have they aired it since then. I'm practically desperate to see it. Honestly debating on contacting TCM about it. I'm a massive Judy Garland fan so it'd be cool to see it. Someone on YouTube under the channel name Tomy9878 has a VHS copy that was recorded off of the TV when it aired. They have uploaded some clips from the version but that's all I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Evan said:

Does anybody know what happened to the colorized version of the 1939 film Babes In Arms? TCM aired it in 1993. Have they aired it since then. I'm practically desperate to see it. Honestly debating on contacting TCM about it. I'm a massive Judy Garland fan so it'd be cool to see it. Someone on YouTube under the channel name Tomy9878 has a VHS copy that was recorded off of the TV when it aired. They have uploaded some clips from the version but that's all I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TCM wasn't launched until April 14th 1994.      

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM wasn't launched until April 14th 1994

I was about to say the same thing, until I read your post. I've seen Babes in Arms at least twice on TCM, both times in its original black and white. I know Ted Turner came under some criticism back in the day for colorizing, but I belive this has been largely absent from TCM presentations.

If you still have a functioning VCR I would say your likeliest source would be a second-hand media store. Like Movie Trading Company.  Colorized stuff came and went pretty quickly but there were lots of VHS tapes made before the public finally said oh hell no.

2 hours ago, Evan said:

Sorry, the description of the YouTube video I linked said it aired in 1993.

Wikipedia has a list of colorized films that indicates Babes in Arms was colorized by Turner in 1993, which would match up with DougieB's comment about it being shown on TNT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black-and-white_films_that_have_been_colorized

It must be sitting in one of Turner's vaults somewhere.

• Like 1