Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paramount Looks like They are Downsizing

CinemaInternational

Feels like the end of an era. Paramount Pictures, one of Hollywood's two oldest studios, is reportedly considering downsizing to pretty much be only  a supplier to their streaming service Paramount+. If true, the company will completely exit theatrical production and only become a web company.  Quite frankly, it makes me all pretty mad. I know it has been many years since they have had any degree of success (the last time they were on solid financial footing was in 2001), but is is still a horrible shame.

• Like 1

They used to be the only other big studio (besides Disney) that was sitting out the Digital VOD "revolution", back when Ultraviolet thought it was going to wipe physical disk off the map from '11-'18.  

Unfortunately, that meant they had to take their movies to streaming, which was why it was so EASY to find the Mission: Impossible movies, the Ninja Turtles reboots, every Tom Cruise action movie and Star Trek: Beyond so quickly on Epix, Amazon and Netflix.  Now, the name of the game is for studios to get their own streaming sandbox, which, although you can still find the Cheers, Frasier and various Star Trek reruns on every streaming service, it's been rather bad luck for those looking for the old Twilight Zone reruns.  (Which had to go to P+, to promote their new original reboot.)

Now, the question is whether they're going to let their investment in PlutoTV go hang, which has been my best free-with-ads weeknight-channel-surfing source for vintage TV.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings