Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Film Of These Classic Horror Stars

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So, you wouldn't take literally a thread titled "You favorite films of these classic Western stars?"  ;)  Or "....classic silent comedy stars?"  

And knowing you, this reply is probably going to be taken out of context.  ;) 

Sepiatone

If the title only said  that,   I would assume that the favorite film would be one where the actor had a major role within the genre.  Thus,  I agree with you.  Oh, my,  what has the world come to.

It was that separate comment that made me select films outside of the genre.   It doesn't necessarily have to be a horror film.

(but if one of your points is that separate comment added more confusion instead of clarity,   I can dig that as well).

Actually, I'm guilty of hurriedness(if that's even a word).   Just  Read the title and skimmed to the OPs list of movies.  And it's mostly coincidence that my favorite film of most of them were "horror" flicks. ;) 

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, JamesJazGuitar said:

It was that separate comment that made me select films outside of the genre.   It doesn't necessarily have to be a horror film.

I thought I would talk about some of my favorite of the stars' non horror films.

My Lorre favorite previously stated was a non horror, Arsenic And Old Lace.

When I checked their lists, I found I never saw any non horror film by Chaney Sr. or Lugosi.

Here are the others:

Boris Karloff-The Criminal Code (1930) this was before his Monster role, in this prison drama about a progressive warden (Walter Huston) who believes in rehabilitation. However, vengeful and murderous convict Karloff is beyond help.

Lon Chaney Jr.- It's got to be Of Mice And Men (1939) One of my favorite scene is when the villain Curley (Bob Steele) is viciously punching him in the face. He is finally encouraged to fight back and crushes Curley's hand into a maraca.

Vincent Price - The Song Of Bernadette (1943), he plays the Imperial Prosecutor who does not believe simple girl Bernadette (Jennifer Jones) saw the Virgin Mary. His character is not without heart as he does not appear to relish putting this girl away. He even begs her to tell the truth (he really seems to believe she is making it up). He has one of his more emotional moments near the end, when he is ill with cancer, and asks for Bernadette to pray for him.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

When I checked their lists, I found I never saw any non horror film by Chaney Sr. or Lugosi.

Hi Jim, if you click on any film title listed in their respective Wikipedia filmographies, a box appears that shows the first few sentences of the Wiki article about that film. The first sentence almost always indicates the genre of the film (mystery, crime, comedy, etc.)

Both actors appeared in many non-horror films + roles over the years. A few examples for each:

Chaney: Oliver Twist (1922), The Blackbird (1926), Tell it to the Marines (1926), Mr. Wu (1927), Mockery (1927), While the City Sleeps (1928)

Lugosi: International House (1932), The Mysterious Mr. Wong (1934), The Best Man Wins (1935), Postal Inspector (1936), Ninotchka (1939), You'll Find Out (1940)

🙂

• Thanks 1