Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help finding movie title

I watched this movie in July.  It was about a movie producer who falls in love with the woman creating the dresses for the movie.  There’s a beautiful dancing scene where a couple is walking in the park and the background turns purple with tiny lights everywhere so it looks like stars.  Please help I’m going a little crazy finding this movie again.

20 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

This sounds too much like a Hallmark movie.

I got the same feeling.     Gee,  give us a little more info.   E.g.  is the film in B&W?    Narrow it down to a decade.       Name at least one actor in the film.

If a couple walking in the park breaks into dance, should we assume it's a musical? My first thought was La La Land because there's a dance number in a parklike setting overlooking the lights of Los Angeles at night and they end up dancing among the stars, but he was a musician and she was an aspiring actress. In My Week with Marilyn Eddie Redmayne plays a kind of glorified go-fer on the movie set (not a producer) and Emma Watson works in the wardrobe department (though she  isn't the designer) during the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl and they start a very sweet romance, but I don't remember a scene with lights like stars. I agree with the two opinions above that it sounds like a Hallmark (or Lifetime) TV movie, since they love their twinkle lights.  

Hahaha definitely not a Hallmark and yes on TCM.  And it’s definitely not LaLa land.  There’s a couple of scenes I remember.  They were at a club and the woman gets drunk because she’s there with the man she’s falling for and his gf.  They end up leaving and going to a bar of sorts he then sends his girlfriend to take one of his drunk friends home so he can stay with the other woman. It is a musical lots of singing. 

Well, if the schedule of last July I thought I saved had really been saved I could have looked through it to find your movie.  But I discovered that some change in TCM's format has left me without saved schedules since last October.  Maybe somebody else out there in Turnerland has a July schedule and can find it.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Well, if the schedule of last July I thought I saved had really been saved I could have looked through it to find your movie.  But I discovered that some change in TCM's format has left me without saved schedules since last October.  Maybe somebody else out there in Turnerland has a July schedule and can find it.

TopBilled has a thread where the Daily Schedule history is posted. July 2021 starts on page 137, just a few pages back from now; no biggie.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wbogacz said:

TopBilled has a thread where the Daily Schedule history is posted. July 2021 starts on page 137, just a few pages back from now; no biggie.

I didn't realize TB's thread existed. What a great tool. But I'm still stumped. July was Elvis Presley month and the idea of the guy sending his girlfriend to take home his friend so he could be with the other woman sounds pretty Elvissy, but I doubt you wouldn't have remembered if it was an Elvis movie. I saw a couple of them, but not enough to know all the plots, but "a musical with lots of singing" sure fits. Clubs and bars also fits because they were often an excuse for a musical number. Elvis always had a buddy who'd help get him out of jams, so that fits too. The other movie which jumped out was The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, the French film which was all musical, with all the dialogue being sung.  There's the plot element of a woman being in love with the guy who has a girlfriend and it had drop-dead gorgeous visuals, so I wouldn't rule out the idea of the lights like stars, but there's no movie producer or dress designer. So, again, I got nothing.  james asked about the decade, which you didn't really answer, but it could help direct our thinking. The fact that I can't remember a musical about a movie producer and a dress designer is driving me crazy. It sounds like a 1940's or 1950's kind of thing because people don't really just start dancing in the park much any more. Probably the most famous dance in the park was Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, wbogacz said:

While TB's list is helpful,  what I'm looking for is the original list. It has descriptions and  links to TCMDatabase pages.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DougieB said:

I didn't realize TB's thread existed. What a great tool. But I'm still stumped. July was Elvis Presley month and the idea of the guy sending his girlfriend to take home his friend so he could be with the other woman sounds pretty Elvissy, but I doubt you wouldn't have remembered if it was an Elvis movie. I saw a couple of them, but not enough to know all the plots, but "a musical with lots of singing" sure fits. Clubs and bars also fits because they were often an excuse for a musical number. Elvis always had a buddy who'd help get him out of jams, so that fits too. The other movie which jumped out was The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, the French film which was all musical, with all the dialogue being sung.  There's the plot element of a woman being in love with the guy who has a girlfriend and it had drop-dead gorgeous visuals, so I wouldn't rule out the idea of the lights like stars, but there's no movie producer or dress designer. So, again, I got nothing.  james asked about the decade, which you didn't really answer, but it could help direct our thinking. The fact that I can't remember a musical about a movie producer and a dress designer is driving me crazy. It sounds like a 1940's or 1950's kind of thing because people don't really just start dancing in the park much any more. Probably the most famous dance in the park was Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon.

I want to say it was in the 1950’s

I'm officially giving up. A musical shown on TCM late night in July, possibly 1950's, possibly Tom Drake, about a movie producer and a wardrobe designer. Two others I briefly considered from the July listings were The Opposite Sex, in which a theatrical producer has an extramarital affair with a chorus girl and Everything I Have Is Yours, about a dancer who takes on a new partner in his show when his wife becomes pregnant. Both are showbizzy in theme and both have musical and dance numbers but neither fits your description. I'm out, but good luck.

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm officially giving up. A musical shown on TCM late night in July, possibly 1950's, possibly Tom Drake, about a movie producer and a wardrobe designer. Two others I briefly considered from the July listings were The Opposite Sex, in which a theatrical producer has an extramarital affair with a chorus girl and Everything I Have Is Yours, about a dancer who takes on a new partner in his show when his wife becomes pregnant. Both are showbizzy in theme and both have musical and dance numbers but neither fits your description. I'm out, but good luck.

Yea,  I looked at every Tom Drake movie and I don't think it was  one he was  in,  so I'm calling it a day as well.

Hopefully LavenderBlue comes to the recuse.     She is great at this and might be the only hope left (ha  ha).