Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IN THE WAKE OF THE BOUNTY (1933)

scsu1975

http://www.archive.org/details/InTheWakeOfTheBounty

Odd but interesting film, part-drama and part documentary, of major importance, being Errol Flynn?s first screen appearance. Although I had heard of this film, I always assumed it was a re-telling of the Mutiny on the Bounty. Instead, it begins with an old mutineer, telling his friends the story of the Bounty. We move back and forth between the narrator and the story for around 20 minutes ? then the rest of the film becomes a travelogue. Producer/Director Charles Chauvel narrates his expedition to Pitcairn Island, with footage of the inhabitants, including descendants of the mutineers. Chauvel?s wife also appears. This part of the film is interesting in its own right. Occasionally, Chauvel shows a flashback to the Bounty story, as Flynn appears in a beard bemoaning what he has done.

The film is rather jumpy, either due to poor editing or old age or both. The comments on the webpage suggest that the last 25 minutes or so of the film are missing; however, whoever uploaded the film has ?repared? it, in his/her words. It runs about an hour.

I?d be interested in reactions anyone has, or any insights anyone has on this film.

No funny screencaps this time, since the print is not so hot.

Here is a shot of the bearded Flynn. By the way, his acting is hammy, but then so is the acting in general.

image-29.jpg