Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hustler Again?

Twokeets

I was surprised to see The Hustler on again tonight, when it was just shown the other night, as hosted by Ben and the retired fireman. At least I think it was. I'm pretty sure Ben said it was coming on after To Kill A Mockingbird. Wonder why it's being shown again so soon, this time hosted by Dave Karger.

On a side note, does anyone know if the channel Movies!Tv Network is owned by the same company? I watch it a lot, and while they repeat their own movies quite a bit, they seem to show a lot of the same ones as TCM.

I just came on here to say the same thing, they showed it September 11 at 10:30PM and I watched it and now I put TCM on and I see it again I thought I was going crazy. It’s bad enough that the music is sanity inducing now they are repeating movies less than two days between airings! This is even worse than when they had that girl tiff hosting!  🤦‍♀️ IMO TCM is not only going to lose their base but they are not going to gain new followers either. TCM has jumped the shark, they took the class out of classic! They went from hardcover to paperback.

49 minutes ago, Twokeets said:

I was surprised to see The Hustler on again tonight, when it was just shown the other night, as hosted by Ben and the retired fireman. At least I think it was. I'm pretty sure Ben said it was coming on after To Kill A Mockingbird. Wonder why it's being shown again so soon, this time hosted by Dave Karger.

On a side note, does anyone know if the channel Movies!Tv Network is owned by the same company? I watch it a lot, and while they repeat their own movies quite a bit, they seem to show a lot of the same ones as TCM.

MOVIES-TV is  not owned by the same company that owns TCM.    MOVIES-TV is a join venture between Weigel Broadcasting and the Fox Television Stations subsidiary of Fox Corporation.      This is why MOVIES-TV shows a lot of Fox Films (especially noir ones),  that TCM doesn't  (or shows rarely).

As for showing the same films:   I posted about this around 6 months ago as  a possible reason TCM decided to no longer provide their schedule months  in advance.  I suspected that MOVIES-TV was reviewing TCM's schedule and using that to influence their programming.      E.g.   if TCM say an actor will be SOTM,  a week or so before,  MOVIES-TV will feature that actor.    Same with films.   MOVIES-TV see what TCM is  showing and tries to schedule films they have cheap access to slightly before TCM does.

I was told I was delusional!    Ha ha.   Yea,  it could be is just a coincidence and not some plan on MOVIES-TV part.             

PS:  Are those your birds?  I have two conures,  and one cockatiel.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Alas, my birds Alfred and Bruce have passed on. Also my beloved Java finch Dick. The keets hated Dick! Now I have 2 cats instead. But I digress--thanks, Jamesjazguitar, for the information. Seems like there are a lot of familiar-looking films popping up on Movies! It's probably more than a coincidence.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

♦ THINGS ♦

@TWOKEETS:  How are your birds doing?  I hope they are happy and healthy.  :)  Must luv birbs!  

@JAMES and his Jazzy Geetar:  So you have birds, too?  I have a cockatiel.  SWEET PEA is now 20.   He's my feathered pal. 

I used to have a male and female pair of cockatiels but the female died about 3 years ago.    I have had  the male for around 15 years.    

The female died when my friend  came over for our weekend  jam session.    About an hour before he got there I could tell she wasn't doing well.    The cage is in the jam room so I told my friend what was going on;   The bird passed while we were playing While  My Guitar Gently Weeps  (no joke!).    She was around 20 years old so it was her time.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I used to have a male and female pair of cockatiels but the female died about 3 years ago.    I have had  the male for around 15 years.    

The female died when my friend  came over for our weekend  jam session.    About an hour before he got there I could tell she wasn't doing well.    The cage is in the jam room so I told my friend what was going on;   The bird passed while we were playing While  My Guitar Gently Weeps  (no joke!).    She was around 20 years old so it was her time.

Did the male act differently after she died?

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did the male act differently after she died?

Very wise question and yes,  he did.   A lot different.   Now he sings and sings more so then he had ever did before.   He used to do this as a call to his mate,  and now that she was gone,  I assumed he was trying to call to her.    He also became a lot more affectionate to me.     He still is this way.     I was thinking about getting him another mate but the bird shop said at his age,  a young female cockatiel might not be accepted by him.      I guess older male birds are not like Cary Cooper was to Audrey Hepburn in Love in the Afternoon!

• Thanks 1

@TwoKeets:  I'm sorry your little feathered troopers have all passed on. 

@James_and_Thy_Jazzy_Guitar:  Today is the 20th Anniversary of me finding my cockatiel, Sweet Pea, in the grocery store parking lot.  I found him on Sept. 14, 2001.  I wrote it down right after I got home all those years ago.  SWEET PEA was probably 3 months old and flew away from his previous owner.   He was fully flighted but not fully grown.  I hope to have SuperPea for as long as possible.  I had a cockatiel named Cinnamon Stick who lived from Dec. 2, 1986 - May 7, 2017.   He was an old man of 30 yrs 5 mos when he died from the effects of a stroke.  He was a Tough Tiel.  🦜 

Give your smol Tiel pal some xtra scritches for me.  He could live a lot longer than 15 or 16.   I used to tell Cinnamon Stick after he got really old that there was no limit as to how long he could live.  He understood.  He knew he was wanted until the day he died. 

Might just be me here, but somehow I'm now wondering if and when in the future some newbie might come on here and complain that TCM is showing The Birdman of Alcatraz way too much, if the conversation might somehow segue to the topic of billiards or pool sharks?! 

(...and NOT that I have anything against our avian friends out there or a conversation about 'em, I just think it'd be ironic, that's all...I LOVE irony, ya know) ;)

The Hustler is a 20th Century Fox movie, the rights to which I assume are owned by Disney now. For TCM to show ANY movie outside of their "library" that they have to pay for is something I get excited and happy about. In my many years on here, I've learned from more experienced and knowledgeable posters that when TCM pays for the use of a movie outside of its "library" it comes as part of a packaging deal that typically includes several other movies and also the agreement to air each movie so many times within a certain window. Drawing from this information to augment my comprehension of the use of the films that get aired, I've noticed if TCM is airing a major film like The Hustler and they're only allowed to do so within a certain amount of days, they'll typically air the film at least once in prime time, and the other airing or airings will be in "off hours". 

So, to sum up, The Hustler is not a film that airs all that often. I'm happy that TCM is able to occasionally air it, and that corporate giants haven't yet become so mutually exclusive that such an airing arrangement would somehow be impossible. The terms of the contract are probably such that TCM has no choice but to air the film more than once in a short period of time. In my opinion,, for someone to say, "TCM showed The Hustler twice in two days; therefore, I hate TCM and will never watch it again" is an extremely melodramatic overreaction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I didn't want to name names, but I thought Slavergirl was kind of implying that.

Savergirl did not say that nor did she imply it. She just complained about the new style in addition to the showing of the same movie so soon.

Nowhere does she say anything about now hating TCM and never watching it again.

For "melodrama", one need look no further than your reaction to her post.

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

BUT if I find many of "her" (?) comments suggestive that "she" is done with TCM. Her hate of Tiffany Vazquez. Her "jumped  the shark" comment.  And ... well ... pretty much everything else she says.

So there was no need for you to make stuff up.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings